Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

16 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Where did you get this figure from?

from this article - posted on Jon Laudau's FB 

https://www.coaster101.com/2018/12/11/what-makes-avatar-flight-of-passage-so-immersive/

another article digging into the tech behind the ride

http://vfxvoice.com/avatar-flight-of-passage-a-cinematic-multi-sensory-3d-experience-that-soars/

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Some good news here: https://www.wsj.com/articles/dollar-ending-week-on-stronger-note-11545412658

Steady drops lately, I think we'll see this trend continue into 2019, hopefully the major drops come mid-2020.

You crack me up JCS.

If the yuan becomes a 1:1 with the dollar we can expect 20 billies.

12 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Thinking morbidly, enough people actually have to be still alive to buy tickets... let alone have money to actually buy them!

Avatar 2 and 3 will have already shifted the world's priotiories to the conservation of the earth through the sheer force of Jim's story telling meeting his immense visual spectacle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Avatar 2 and 3 will have already shifted the world's priotiories to the conservation of the earth through the sheer force of Jim's story telling meeting his immense visual spectacle.

Crashing economies around the world and throwing billions of people into mass poverty in the process....not happening sorry. The process if there is one will be a slow creep towards change and stewardship as opposed to exploitation and consumption. You can't stop the poor masses from wanting a better life and that involves more resource use, more power, more of everything and less of the natural world. My long term vision of Earth is a lot closer to WALL-E and Blade Runner than some utopia where we suddenly are living hand in hand with nature, I can't see the latter happening, it's not in our nature. The original script for Avatar (Project 880) is even more pessimistic. 

• Like 2

Markets are 'correcting' massively today. I'll save the bragging about my shorts for the politics thread, but if this trend continues into a full blown recession then things are looking very good for Avatar 2... just as many of us hoped. 

:Gaga:Merry Christmas Folks. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I realize that I’m probably going to get all the crap in the world for asking this on a forum like this, but is it possible that Aquaman kind of stole at least some of this movie’s thunder? 

Not really. If anything it helped this film get some pointers for underwater scenes.

56 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I realize that I’m probably going to get all the crap in the world for asking this on a forum like this, but is it possible that Aquaman kind of stole at least some of this movie’s thunder? 

What does that even mean? You think Avatar 2 is going to do worse because of some mediocre superhero movie with a vaguely similar art design two years before it? 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

What does that even mean? You think Avatar 2 is going to do worse because of some mediocre superhero movie with a vaguely similar art design two years before it? 

It means that both movies involve underwater worlds, but that since Aquaman came first, I’m wondering if this movie might (the key word being “might”) not seem as innovative as it otherwise would’ve been.

Also, do note that I was simply asking a question. I never made any definitive statement.

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

I think Avatar 2 will be fine. Aquaman took underwater spectacle to a whole new level, but I fully expect the underwater world of Pandora to be something entirely different and even more breathtaking. There had been a number of films that took viewers to alien planets before Avatar, but it was still revolutionary in its visuals and sense of immersion. 

• Like 1