Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Avatar II - 2 Hours - 25 minutes 

Avatar theatre cut was 162 minutes - 2 hours 42 min, I think they're going to tighten up the runtimes on the sequels, they had so much material for the first one....there's at least another hour of footage that could've been completed to flesh out the first movie, I don't think this will be an issue moving forward. I would love to see a fully realized/expanded version of Avatar but I don't think that will ever happen. 

1 hour ago, Deuce66 said:

Avatar II - 2 Hours - 25 minutes 

Avatar theatre cut was 162 minutes - 2 hours 42 min, I think they're going to tighten up the runtimes on the sequels, they had so much material for the first one....there's at least another hour of footage that could've been completed to flesh out the first movie, I don't think this will be an issue moving forward. I would love to see a fully realized/expanded version of Avatar but I don't think that will ever happen. 

You have seen a fully realized version of Avatar. Its the movie you saw in the cinemas. More material doesnt mean better. If a director left that material out, its often times for the betterment of the movie, thats why editing is just an important part in the process of creating a movie.

As for runtime, I expect it to be alittle longer than the first one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crainy said:

You have seen a fully realized version of Avatar. Its the movie you saw in the cinemas. More material doesnt mean better. If a director left that material out, its often times for the betterment of the movie, thats why editing is just an important part in the process of creating a movie.

At the same time though the theatrical release is a one size fits all cut of the film.

The extended edition is better for fans and second watching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crainy said:

At the same time though the theatrical release is a one size fits all cut of the film.

The extended edition is better for fans and second watching.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crainy said:

Cameron left that material out realizing that a 3 hour 50 minute movie was a non-starter. Go thru the deleted/unfinished scenes available on the 3 disc Blu-Ray if you haven't already and imagine what Avatar could've been, there's a far superior movie in there. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I wish we'd seen the strange insect ritual realised. 

I think Cameron wanted to turn that into some super psychedelic freak out homage to 2001 - A Space Odyssey, it would've been a major trip to see that in 3D on the big screen. 

1 hour ago, Deuce66 said:

Cameron left that material out realizing that a 3 hour 50 minute movie was a non-starter. Go thru the deleted/unfinished scenes available on the 3 disc Blu-Ray if you haven't already and imagine what Avatar could've been, there's a far superior movie in there. 

Wait what ?

Wasn't Avatar's extended edition was 178 mins ?

34 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Wait what ?

Wasn't Avatar's extended edition was 178 mins ?

Yes the 2nd extended version is 178 minutes, the 3-disc Blu-Ray also includes a section on disc 2 that contains over 1 hour of extended/deleted scenes that didn't make any cut of the movie. 

one example

11 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Yes the 2nd extended version is 178 minutes, the 3-disc Blu-Ray also includes a section on disc 2 that contains over 1 hour of extended/deleted scenes that didn't make any cut of the movie. 

one example

I watched all the deleted scenes and two characters got gutted.

The "I'm staring at you lumpy" guy from this video... a.k.a "GET SOMEEEEEEE" guy. He got quite a few scenes cut.

Then there's Norm, he got so many scenes of his gutted. He fucks Trudy, he does an Arny pose.. a couple more scenes aswell.

My preferred version of AVATAR is probably something between the theatrical edition and the slightly longer cut. I do like the beginning on Earth — it gives some visual context to what comes later. But I’m indifferent about most of the other scenes that were cut. They’re not bad, but they're not integral and the movie already feels its length. Cameron’s choices about what to trim for theatrical presentation are almost always really solid: the exception might be the conclusion of THE ABYSS, but that was sort of a special situation anyway. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

My preferred version of AVATAR is probably something between the theatrical edition and the slightly longer cut. I do like the beginning on Earth — it gives some visual context to what comes later. But I’m indifferent about most of the other scenes that were cut. They’re not bad, but they're not integral and the movie already feels its length. Cameron’s choices about what to trim for theatrical presentation are almost always really solid: the exception might be the conclusion of THE ABYSS, but that was sort of a special situation anyway. 

I love the Grace scene where she sheds a tear, fleshes out her character really well.

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Personally would have preferred them to keep the earth scene and the school scene.

Really shows how us as humans never learn. We destroy our world then force our culture on another planet to teach them how to be like a disastrous human...

• Like 1