Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I wonder why Michael Blake, the author of Dance with Wolves, hasn't sued Cameron yet. I mean according to some people, Avatar totally ripped it off right? :rolleyes:

Well, he'd have to sue a lot of people since the story has been done so many times.  Also, don't kid yourself that its not a frame by frame ripoff of Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves, etc...   Lmao.

Posted Image

Edited by Shpongle

Well, he'd have to sue a lot of people since the story has been done so many times.  Also, don't kid yourself that its not a frame by frame ripoff of Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves, etc...   Lmao.

Posted Image

For that matter Pocahontas should just come back from death and sue Michael Blake. Come one, Dance with Wolves got so much similarity to her and herstory.

The point is, the idea of a person going into a different culture and becoming integrated into it (which leads to the conflict with his own culture) is never new. It's a classic structure of storytelling that existed centuries ago and it's been used countless times in books, movies, etc. There's nothing wrong with Avatar using it for its own good. What is wrong is that people selectively use that as a excuse against its greatness.

What makes this even funnier is that I dont remember anyone talking about ripoffs during the first 2 or 3 weeks of its release. But after it broke the all-time records and received a lot of nominations and awards, all the "ripoff" talk started to pump up, and then it became kind of a popular thing on the internet. This is really amusing because this is exactly what happened on Titanic. Some people's attitude towards the film varied dramatically before and after it became the alltime biggest success.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

For that matter Pocahontas should just come back from death and sue Michael Blake. Come one, Dance with Wolves got so much similarity to her and herstory.

The point is, the idea of a person going into a different culture and becoming integrated into it (which leads to the conflict with his own culture) is never new. It's a classic structure of storytelling that existed decades ago and it's been used countless times in books, movies, etc. There's nothing wrong with Avatar using it for its own good. What is wrong is that people selectively use that as a excuse against its greatness.

What makes this even funnier is that I dont remember anyone talking about ripoffs during the first 2 or 3 weeks of its release. But after it broke the all-time records and received a lot of nominations and awards, all the "ripoff" talk started to pump up, and then it became kind of a popular thing on the internet. This is really amusing because this is exactly what happened on Titanic. Some people's attitude towards the film varied dramatically before and after it became the alltime biggest success.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You are so December 2009.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 5

Not even close.  It was dubbed as "Dances with Smurfs" as soon as the 2nd trailer dropped because everyone knew exactly how the film was gonna play out.  It was so common that South Park even did an episode on this before the movie even hit theaters.  Speaking of amusing posts. :lol:

Not even close.  It was dubbed as "Dances with Smurfs" as soon as the 2nd trailer dropped because everyone knew exactly how the film was gonna play out.  It was so common that South Park even did an episode on this before the movie even hit theaters.  Speaking of amusing posts. :lol:

Hey loser, it's James Cameron HIMSELF that confessed Avatar is Dances with wolves set in space in an interview well before South Park. So you think you're so smart and snarky but you're just paraphrasing the man himself. Eat this:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2009/08/14/james-cameron-the-new-trek-rocks-but-transformers-is-gimcrackery/

Dated from Aug. 14, 2009.

So STFU.

Hey loser, it's James Cameron HIMSELF that confessed Avatar is Dances with wolves set in space in an interview well before South Park. So you think you're so smart and snarky but you're just paraphrasing the man himself. Eat this:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2009/08/14/james-cameron-the-new-trek-rocks-but-transformers-is-gimcrackery/

Dated from Aug. 14, 2009.

So STFU.

Oh I get it, that makes all the criticism of Avatar void. 

NOT

And I'm not a loser. :(

• Like 2

No I'm talking about the "Cameron ripped off the story" talk. Yes I remember there were those thundercats and smurfs jokes going around before it hit the cinema, and they were mainly towards how the film looked, but the story-ripping-off talk started to pump up after a while.

Avatar is easily Cameron worst film. I wish he would work on another project. I love Terminator, Terminator 2 and Titanic all are in my top 125 films.  

It's funny because in terms of the overal reception by the public, Avatar is pretty much another Titanic. I always find it rather ironical that someone, on one hand who loved Titanic and hated those backlash, on the other hand could be generating the backlash on Avatar.

Dont ever try to come around saying "I love Titanic" and at the same time using "the ripoff talk" to trash Avatar. It will only make a fool out of you because you are basically repeating "the teen girls crush on Leo talk".

Edited by vc2002

It's funny because in terms of the overal reception by the public, Avatar is pretty much another Titanic. I always find it rather ironical that someone, on one hand who loved Titanic and hated those backlash, on the other hand could be generating the backlash on Avatar.

Dont ever try to come around saying "I love Titanic" and at the same time using "the ripoff talk" to trash Avatar. It will only make a fool out of you because you are basically repeating "the teen girls crush on Leo talk".

You can't keep using Titanic to defend Avatar over and over again.  Saying "teen girls love Leo!" is drastically different than saying "Avatar flat out copied Pocahontas or Dances with Wolves". Saying "teen girls love Leo!" has nothing to do with the film's storytelling/script nor an attack on the film itself. Also, as everybody knows, Titanic was a very famous historical event whereas Avatar is scifi film you could predict 10 minutes in, which makes the comparison even more irrelavent. You also can't say Avatar is or ever was Titanic's equal in public reception because Titanic sweeped the Oscars and sold almost twice as many tickets as Avatar.  Yes, they came out 12 years apart from eachother, but that difference is just far too big to ignore.  The backlash the for the 2 is in no way the same.

You can't keep using Titanic to defend Avatar over and over again.  Saying "teen girls love Leo!" is drastically different than saying "Avatar flat out copied Pocahontas or Dances with Wolves". Saying "teen girls love Leo!" has nothing to do with the film's storytelling/script nor an attack on the film itself. Also, as everybody knows, Titanic was a very famous historical event whereas Avatar is scifi film you could predict 10 minutes in, which makes the comparison even more irrelavent. You also can't say Avatar is or ever was Titanic's equal in public reception because Titanic sweeped the Oscars and sold almost twice as many tickets as Avatar.  Yes, they came out 12 years apart from eachother, but that difference is just far too big to ignore.  The backlash the for the 2 is in no way the same.

They are basically the same talk that tried to make you believe that the storytelling got nothing to do with the unique success of the movie. Here's the basic form:

____ (fill in Titanic or Avatar) got a ____ (fill in weak, lame, bad or rippedoff) story, and the only reason it made so much money is because of ___ (fill in teen's girls crush on Leo, or 3D, or visual effects).

Both were original films that no one thought would be a (massive) success. Both became the highest grossing of all time. Both were chick flicks. Both became a phenomenon not just in the US, but around the world. Both won lots of awards, plus lots of nominations (yeah Titanic won more, but still Avatar won plenty as well). Both had a 83% score and 7.4 rating on RT (Titanic before re-release). Both received a lot of backlash... Yes, Avatar is another Titanic. In terms of admissions, Avatar is in a whole different era than Titanic. In this era there's no way for a movie to sell over 100m tickets because of DVD, blu-ray, piracy, a hell lot more ways to get entertainment, the trend of movie releases becoming more and more frontlorded, blah blah blah. Yet somehow Avatar still managed to be the biggest tickets seller of the last decade.

• Like 1

The point is, the idea of a person going into a different culture and becoming integrated into it (which leads to the conflict with his own culture) is never new. It's a classic structure of storytelling that existed centuries ago and it's been used countless times in books, movies, etc. There's nothing wrong with Avatar using it for its own good. What is wrong is that people selectively use that as a excuse against its greatness.

It doesn't matter. The internet brigade that already made up its mind about how crappy Avatar is will never budge. And of course, since they think it's garbage, and since they somehow have convinced themselves that their opinion is shared by the entire country, they peddle the nonsense about how nobody, absolutely nobody, liked Avatar. In spite of the fact that every single demographic gave Avatar an average CinemaScore grade of A, which led to a 10 multiplier, everybody hated it, and the sequel will flop miserably. ;)