Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

52 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

Don't know but I have this one

giphy.gif

Someone said this but it bears repeating:

Look at the visual/CGI quality of Avatar vs MCU movie X in that gif, and Avatar was a 2009 film.

• Like 6

On 6/27/2019 at 12:57 PM, cdsacken said:

Nah because it will be short engagement plus China won't sign off on it.

However it will do way better than the EG rerelease.

For me, my fandom doesn't take away my objectivity. However Avatar 1 with an extended re-release including China has a much better shot at 3B than Avatar 2.

However if Avatar 2 is very successful (lets say 2.7B)sequels could easily breech 3B

this is something that bugs me ever since EG couldn't do it. I want to know what will take, not what movie, but what will take. Avatar had small opening for that kind of boxoffice but legged it up to 2.788B. so because of screen count cuts due to new releases, we can't count only on legs for the future 3B grosser, whatever it will be. It will need a headstart too. EG had an amazing headstart but legs were shorter than I expected which surprises me cause re-release showed there's still demand. and movies around it flopped save Aladdin so that should have played to its advantage of getting to 3B. Still, it must have lost screen counts to new openers no matter what big flops they were.So it;ll top out a little over Avatar, so 2.78/2.8B range. 

so how do you strike the balance for 3B grosser? My guess would be an EG-size opener or even less than EG but definitely one of 200M+ dom OW openers in holiday season (better legs than in summer). Something that would have appeal in Asia especially China. But definitely big opening in December with holiday legs and global appeal. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Oh, I can't wait for the MCU fans (notice there is no need to use a derogatory term for them, it's not fun to punch down), try and spin this that they helped A2 in some way. 

Well, for those of us like myself who are fans of both, it's a win-win!

37 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Oh boy, some speculation that Disney could rerelease Endgame several times, where does it end :D

Feige is a sad sad little man

All endgames rereleases are going to get dunked by one little rerelease from Avatar

• Like 6
  • Knock It Off 1

On 6/29/2019 at 1:25 AM, Alexdube said:

Oh Reddit... must be funny if you have no understanding of how box office works

Yeah. Avatar stayed in theaters that long because it took a very long time for interest to drop in the movie. People just wouldnt stop seeing it in theaters. 

• Like 6

On 6/30/2019 at 6:56 AM, dashrendar44 said:

An interview with supporting actor Keston John who plays a Na'vi in the sequel called Va'Ru.

http://www.afterbuzztv.com/avatar-2s-keston-john-praises-james-camerons-vision/

The NDA is tight, he doesn't reveal much of anything except that he's a Na'Vi and speaks a different dialect. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Amen, although to be fair, no film could stay this long in theaters nowadays.

26 Weeks appears to be the current upper limit BAR. Studios could maybe squeeze more life out of titles if they weren't in such a rush to get them out on Digital/Streaming/DVD-Blu-4K (3 months for most titles). 

Edited by Deuce66
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Crainy said:

Yeah. Avatar stayed in theaters that long because it took a very long time for interest to drop in the movie. People just wouldnt stop seeing it in theaters. 

It also had an extremely rushed home video release. There's this funny myth that Fox forced it to stay in theaters to squeeze every last ounce of box office it could when just the opposite is true. They prematurely pulled it from theaters to maximize home video sales, of which they got a far higher percentage. Avatar had already obliterated the record after just 47 days, so Fox didn't even care if it hit $2.8 billion.

The rest of 2009's top 10 domestic averaged home video releases after 20.2 weeks in theaters, with per-theater averages of just $741 on the weekend before those releases (and 4 of the top 10 weren't released on home video until after their theatrical runs had ended). Yet despite having the best legs of anything since Titanic and by far the best of any $30m+ opener ever, Avatar was released on home video in just its 18th week when it was still averaging $2,000 per theater. Its PTA actually increased the week after that and in its final 9 weeks before the special edition its PTA increased every single week, from $2.5k to $10.5k (albeit in very few theaters during that stretch).

Conversely, The Dark Knight's PTA fell below $2k after week 8 and it got to stay in theaters for another 13 weeks before its home video release, by which time its PTA had fallen to $697. How many tens of millions more would Avatar have made if it likewise wasn't released on home video until its PTA was in the toilet? When would that have even happened? The special edition's PTA was at $4.5k (from 6 theaters) before being pulled from theaters. Hell, even in 2018 its PTA was $2,575 from 68 theaters on one weekend in South Korea.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, vansen said:

It also had an extremely rushed home video release. There's this funny myth that Fox forced it to stay in theaters to squeeze every last ounce of box office it could when just the opposite is true. They prematurely pulled it from theaters to maximize home video sales, of which they got a far higher percentage. Avatar had already obliterated the record after just 47 days, so Fox didn't even care if it hit $2.8 billion.

The rest of 2009's top 10 domestic averaged home video releases after 20.2 weeks in theaters, with per-theater averages of just $741 on the weekend before those releases (and 4 of the top 10 weren't released on home video until after their theatrical runs had ended). Yet despite having the best legs of anything since Titanic and by far the best of any $30m+ opener ever, Avatar was released on home video in just its 18th week when it was still averaging $2,000 per theater. Its PTA actually increased the week after that and in its final 9 weeks before the special edition its PTA increased every single week, from $2.5k to $10.5k (albeit in very few theaters during that stretch).

Conversely, The Dark Knight's PTA fell below $2k after week 8 and it got to stay in theaters for another 13 weeks before its home video release, by which time its PTA had fallen to $697. How many tens of millions more would Avatar have made if it likewise wasn't released on home video until its PTA was in the toilet? When would that have even happened? The special edition's PTA was at $4.5k (from 6 theaters) before being pulled from theaters. Hell, even in 2018 its PTA was $2,575 from 68 theaters on one weekend in South Korea.

I want to see it again on a Dolby screen, those things are magnificent. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Amen, although to be fair, no film could stay this long in theaters nowadays.

No film could stay that long in theaters when Avatar was released, and yet it was.

Much more recently, The Greatest Showman had a tremendously long run (on a smaller scale).

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

I trust your gut, it's gonna go like that

Gut always says that will make Jim very angry, not sure Disney would be wise to go down this path.

Paramount will be rubbing their hands together.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1