grim22

Weekend #s on Pg 34. Divergent 56M. Muppets 16.5M. Peabody 11.7M, 302 8.6M, Gods not dead 8.5M

Plus they've already made back half of the budget through selling the international rights for the film

Link?42,5 mill....That sounds awfull cheap for a potential big franchise.

Link?42,5 mill....That sounds awfull cheap for a potential big franchise.

This was the only thing I could find about it.

http://www.thewrap.com/divergent-tracking-50-million-box-office-opening/

"It has an $85 million production budget and marketing will likely run another $40 million, but pre-sales of foreign rights have already brought in roughly $65 million."

• Like 1

Satisfied enough to officially greenlight the sequel, apparently. The budget's only $85m, that's not too bad.

Percy Jackson got a sequel with a bigger budget (95 m).

We'll see if Divergent can match Percy's 226 m worldwide gross.

Not great, but certainly not awful.

The first Twilight isn't a good comparison, because I'm pretty sure they didn't have 8pm or even 10pm screenings for that one.  In comparison, this really much lower. 

Edited by tracygee

Not great, but certainly not awful.

The first Twilight isn't a good comparison, because I'm pretty sure they didn't have 8pm or even 10pm screenings for that one.  In comparison, this really much lower. 

I think it's sort of been proven though that the earlier "midnight" showings really haven't resulted in higher box office midnights. People just go earlier, but the same number of people seem to go, whether midnights start at 8 or 12:00.

But, midnights in general weren't as big back in 2008, so Divergent coming in under Twilight isn't the greatest sign.

Should still go over $50 million, but I was expecting higher.

High 20s for Muppets would thrill me but I don't trust that 'tracking'.I was going to say that my total negligence of Divergent's existence might mean that I'm growing older and I no longer follow kids movies.. but I still care about The Muppets. So.

• Like 1

This was the only thing I could find about it.

http://www.thewrap.com/divergent-tracking-50-million-box-office-opening/

"It has an $85 million production budget and marketing will likely run another $40 million, but pre-sales of foreign rights have already brought in roughly $65 million."

85 + 40 = 135m, so basically they're 70m in the hole as the movie gets released. Anything over 150m WW should mean comfortable profits.

• Like 1

Plus they've already made back half of the budget through selling the international rights for the film 

Oh, hadn't heard that. Changes the equation substantially. Lowers the threshold of where success is marked thus increasing more installments. Lionsgate....well played. 

Looked up the box office results for "The Muppets". Despite being 96% on RT, and opening over Thanksgiving for 41M 5 day, it ended with 88M domestic. Did none of the audience like the movie or something? Barely doubling the 5 day Thanksgiving start is just weird for such a well reviewed movie which appealed to the family audience.

Looked up the box office results for "The Muppets". Despite being 96% on RT, and opening over Thanksgiving for 41M 5 day, it ended with 88M domestic. Did none of the audience like the movie or something? Barely doubling the 5 day Thanksgiving start is just weird for such a well reviewed movie which appealed to the family audience.

Seemed like it appealed more to nostalgic adults than kids.

I have a confession to make. It's so shocking I had to hide it in spoiler tags and color it white. Highlight if you must.

I've never seen a Muppets movie.

I know you've seen

Empire Strikes Back 

:P 

• Like 1