CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

DreamWorks is the loser in all this (domestically). HTTYD3 will now have to face TS4's third weekend (again) along with JW2's second weekend.

And I thought Minions WAS the Shrek the Third in the Illumination narrative. :)

Minions is not a shrek the third because:

Shrek 2 made 440m DOM and shrek 3 made 322m (so a huge 120 million drop)

DM2 made 368m and Minions made 335m and it was a spinoff that performed like a sequel (so a very small 33m difference)

So in terms of numbers: Minions is in no way a shrek the third domestically (let alone WW which is more than DM2 by like 190 million!)

Edited by MinaTakla

DreamWorks is the loser in all this (domestically). HTTYD3 will now have to face TS4's third weekend (again) along with JW2's second weekend.

And I thought Minions WAS the Shrek the Third in the Illumination narrative. :)

I think we need to keep in mind about HTTYD3 is that people loved the second one. And TS3 was already a fitting finale for the TS-series. So I don't think TS4 will clobber HTTYD3 as much as some of you think it will.

HTTYD3 is more likely to have more hype & interest than TS4, even if that animated sequel does a bit lower than this one.

DOM for both:

HTTYD3 could do $190-210M. TS4 could do $265-275M.

WW for both:

TS4 could do 1B again. HTTYD3 is more likely to have that threequel bump-increase to $800-$900 WW. It could go higher if WOM is great.

Lets keep in mind, the second HTTYD still increased over the first one and made $65M in China. So an increase in China, for HTTYD3 won't be surprising.

And we can't compare JW2 as Dragon's direct competitor, cause JW2's direct competitor will be Godzilla 2.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

Actually TS3 was likely hurt by 3D. There was a big backlash against it around that summer, after the horrible post-conversion 3D of the likes of Alice and Clash of the Titans killed off a large chunk of the public's interest in the format just as soon as it had started. The problem was that the films that were rolled out in 3D that summer were done so in a way that they were hardly playing on 2D screens, because it was assumed 3D was going to be the new standard for films after Avatar's success. So as a result of lack of 2D options for films released in 3D, we had a bit of a box office slump that summer. TS3 was probably hit harder than most, because families especially turned away from the format given how expensive it is to take 4-6 people to a 3D movie.  I honestly believe TS3 could've beaten Shrek 2 and done around 450 with the 2D options that are available these days. 

That s a lot of assuming and ifs ...

HTTY2 was not very anticipated and did not have great legs if the box office in any indication. It was not the event TS3 was and I can't see why it's sequel would change the trajectory of the two franchises.

I blame the HTTYD tv show for decreasing the hype for the sequel. Freaking DWA has to milk everything.

HTTY2 was not very anticipated and did not have great legs if the box office in any indication. It was not the event TS3 was and I can't see why it's sequel would change the trajectory of the two franchises.

True, but It was anticipated indeed....OK, not as much as TS3, but there were sense of interest surrounding it. The problem was that, A: The marketing wasn't pushed to the point it needed to, and B: 22JS stole it's older audience.

But even though it underperformed, people still loved it and it was still strongly-recieved. So for people who loved the last 2 HTTYD films, would want to see the third one.

That s a lot of assuming and ifs ...

Well I know I saw a lot of that floating around that summer. Not assumptions and ifs I made up. It makes perfect sense too when you look at the box office trends after Avatar made 3D big. There was the initial spike and then a big drop. So why the drop if not for 3D backlash? 

Edited by MovieMan89

I'm happy with the delay. They have an extra year to make it perfect.

The way I'm starting to view this movie is as an epilogue in a way to the trilogy setting myself up for eventual disappointment when Toy Story 5 is announced.

• Like 1

Yeah, it has to be.

HTTYD2 was too good, something has to explain that.

And that does.

You like HTTYD2 too, when Toothless becomes the

Alpha

, I was screaming Fuck Yes, show them !

Since the first movie, I searched to adopt a dragon but no chance until now ...

:(

• Like 1

Look at the bigger picture, there are plenty of successful, well-liked animated family movies which had a sequel which didn't outgross the original.

All grosses adjusted for inflation.

Ice Age: $255M

Ice Age 2: $250M

Monsters Inc: $378M

Monsters Uni: $279M

Kung Fu Panda: $252M

Kung Fu Panda 2: $172M

Madagascar: $253M

Madagascar 2: $210M

How to Train Your Dragon: $230M

How to Train Your Dragon 2: $177M

Cars: $313M

Cars 2: $201M

Happy Feet: $252M

Happy Feet 2: $69M

Seeing a trend? 

Lesser sequels make less than the first?

Save for HTTYD2 and Ice Age.

HTTYD2 is an interesting topic.

Ice Age? Well, I don't really like any of them so I don't even know how to discuss it. Overseas fixed that issue though.

I don't think it's about quality. Plenty of those sequels opened significantly lower than the original, and many of them are very well liked. It just seems that higher grosses from sequels are rarer when it comes to animated films.

I suspect a large part of this comes down to the fact that kids grow very rapidly. Something which they love one year... well four years later their tastes will have changed. So it's more difficult to keep hold of the audience which liked the first movie.

KFP2 and HTTYD2 are odd cases. Maybe they just didn't have the passionate fanbases that other animated franchises do. People enjoyed the originals well enough but they weren't as much in a hurry to come back for a sequel.

My best guess, anyway.

It might also have something to do with the fact that they were released the same day as two highly anticipated R rated comedy sequels.

Edited by FancyArcher
  • Like 2