CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

Pushed to 2018

'Cars 3' has been set for June 16th, 2017, pushing 'Toy Story 4' back a year to June 15th, 2018. pic.twitter.com/TttuskOoUR

— The Film Stage (@TheFilmStage) October 8, 2015
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Frozen sequel likely comes out in the same year too.

Frozen 2 vs Toy Story 3 at the boxoffice and all the awards shows in 2018! We will finally get that Disney/Pixar war that we all wanted! :P

Frozen sequel likely comes out in the same year too.

Frozen 2 vs Toy Story 3 at the boxoffice and all the awards shows in 2018! We will finally get that Disney/Pixar war that we all wanted! :P

Disney announced all dates through 2020. Frozen 2 wasn't part of it. Looks like November 2020 at the earliest for Frozen 2.

Cars 3 will probably be delayed again, considering the fact that they've probably barely begun working on it.

I had assumed the same, however I don't see the sense in announcing a release date less than 2 years away if they haven't made some real dents in the filmmaking process already. Not like animated films just get whipped together in the last year. 

At any rate, with the new release the gap between TS3 and TS4 will not be all that much shorter than the 11 year one between TS2 and TS3. Kinda seems weird to think about. I remember it felt like ages ago to me since TS2 came out when TS3 did, yet TS3 still feels so recent in a lot of ways to me. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Also Toy Story 4 no longer has the finale factor going for it, or unnaturally high 3D ratio boost so I'm expecting its numbers to fall back to Earth somewhat. :ph34r:

Actually TS3 was likely hurt by 3D. There was a big backlash against it around that summer, after the horrible post-conversion 3D of the likes of Alice and Clash of the Titans killed off a large chunk of the public's interest in the format just as soon as it had started. The problem was that the films that were rolled out in 3D that summer were done so in a way that they were hardly playing on 2D screens, because it was assumed 3D was going to be the new standard for films after Avatar's success. So as a result of lack of 2D options for films released in 3D, we had a bit of a box office slump that summer. TS3 was probably hit harder than most, because families especially turned away from the format given how expensive it is to take 4-6 people to a 3D movie.  I honestly believe TS3 could've beaten Shrek 2 and done around 450 with the 2D options that are available these days. 

• Like 1

Toy story 4 moving means a huge opportunity for Despicable Me 3 to rule the year!!

Yeah, I can see it really being huge now given it will kind of own the summer for big animated films. Can't say that very often these days with all the big animated movies scheduled. DM2 may not be the franchise peak after all...

• Like 1

Yeah, I can see it really being huge now given it will kind of own the summer for big animated films. Can't say that very often these days with all the big animated movies scheduled. DM2 may not be the franchise peak after all...

Exactly. I am surprised Disney left the field that wide open for DM3 to rule the summer like that

It will have zero competition this way..

Cars won't match it at all, so unless Dreamworks does something, DM3 will be huger than what we thought.

Actually TS3 was likely hurt by 3D. There was a big backlash against it around that summer, after the horrible post-conversion 3D of the likes of Alice and Clash of the Titans killed off a large chunk of the public's interest in the format just as soon as it had started. The problem was that the films that were rolled out in 3D that summer were done so in a way that they were hardly playing on 2D screens, because it was assumed 3D was going to be the new standard for films after Avatar's success. So as a result of lack of 2D options for films released in 3D, we had a bit of a box office slump that summer. TS3 was probably hit harder than most, because families especially turned away from the format given how expensive it is to take 4-6 people to a 3D movie.  I honestly believe TS3 could've beaten Shrek 2 and done around 450 with the 2D options that are available these days. 

3D backlash wasn't at full force that year, it didn't really start until later. How to Train Your Dragon also released in 2010 was greatly boosted by its 3D tickets sold, so much that the sequel looks much worst in comparison because of how much 3D had fallen in recent years. I would go so far as to say 3D ended up saving the first Dragon.

HTTYD: 3D accounted for 68% of OW.

Toy Story 3: 3D accounted for 60% of OW (BOM says 3D added 20m)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2693&p=.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2826&p=.htm

I don't see it surpassing DM2 but it can probably hit 350-360M and get 1B WW now.

• Like 3

3D backlash wasn't at full force that year, it didn't really start until later. How to Train Your Dragon also released in 2010 was greatly boosted by its 3D tickets sold, so much that the sequel looks much worst in comparison because of how much 3D had fallen in recent years. I would go so far as to say 3D ended up saving the first Dragon.

HTTYD: 3D accounted for 68% of OW.

Toy Story 3: 3D accounted for 60% of OW (BOM says 3D added 20m)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2693&p=.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2826&p=.htm

3D backlash (or lack of 2D options backlash) was still widely blamed for the poor summer that year, after the B.O. had been on a strong upward trend in Holiday '09 through Spring '10. 

I am also counting on Illumination building even more brand momentum next year with Pets being a huge breakout at the box office. That could also help DM3. 

Exactly. If Pets hits big, the DM3 thirst due to Illumination's momentum will be bananas!

• Like 1

I had assumed the same, however I don't see the sense in announcing a release date less than 2 years away if they haven't made some real dents in the filmmaking process already. Not like animated films just get whipped together in the last year. 

At any rate, with the new release the gap between TS3 and TS4 will not be all that much shorter than the 11 year one between TS2 and TS3. Kinda seems weird to think about. I remember it felt like ages ago to me since TS2 came out when TS3 did, yet TS3 still feels so recent in a lot of ways to me. 

Well, to be fair, Pixar has delayed their films on several occasions, so I don't expect Cars 3 to be any different.

I just think the release date between Toy Story 3 and 4 feels shorter because I'm all grown-up now. When I was young and naive, I used to zero shits about time.