CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

KFP2 and HTTYD2 are odd cases. Maybe they just didn't have the passionate fanbases that other animated franchises do. People enjoyed the originals well enough but they weren't as much in a hurry to come back for a sequel.

My best guess, anyway.

A popular theory is that the TV shows lessen the interest of families in seeing the sequels in theaters. Why watch something in theaters when you can see the show for free?

No Hotel Transylvania show means more kids were looking forward to seeing the sequel. Doesn't really explain Cloudy 2's decrease though...

• Like 1

Cloudy 2 can be explained pretty simply; it wasn't as good as the first. Cars 2 experienced a similar fate.

Speaking of which, if Pixar must have just one flop in their history I sure hope it's Cars 3. I feel pretty confident already saying that it's not going to be one of their better efforts. The concept is too fundamentally flawed to make a great film out of.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 6

Dragon 2 making as much as Home dom, please explain, I got nothing.

The main theories:

1.) Marketing didn't work

2.) TV series disincentivized paying to see it

3.) 22JS took away adult crossover demographic

Plus my theories:

4.) Too dark for younger kids, some parents warned other parents

5.) Not the same kind of "GA crowd pleaser" film as the first

5 is semi-related to 4, but not specifically about upsetting kids/their parents; I call it the "Empire Strikes Back effect", because of how Empire was a darker and/or more complex film and it dropped from Star Wars in original release.

(The same thing happened to Spider-Man 2 - that's even closer, because like HTTYD2, it got rave reviews but still dropped from the first. ESB got mixed-positive reviews upon release - though not as mixed as some claim, I know not every critic liked it. I don't know who beyond Siskel and Ebert actually argued it was better than the original at time of release. But now I'm going off on a tangent...)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

The main theories:

1.) Marketing didn't work

2.) TV series disincentivized paying to see it

3.) 22JS took away adult crossover demographic

Plus my theories:

4.) Too dark for younger kids, some parents warned other parents

5.) Not the same kind of "GA crowd pleaser" film as the first

5 is semi-related to 4, but not specifically about upsetting kids/their parents; I call it the "Empire Strikes Back effect", because of how Empire was a darker and/or more complex film and it dropped from Star Wars in original release.

(The same thing happened to Spider-Man 2 - that's even closer, because like HTTYD2, it got rave reviews but still dropped from the first. ESB got mixed-positive reviews upon release - though not as mixed as some claim, I know not every critic liked it. I don't know who beyond Siskel and Ebert actually argued it was better than the original at time of release. But now I'm going off on a tangent...)

Additionally:

A.) Home benefited from lack of competition and black audiences supporting it, otherwise it would have made what people originally were predicting for it, something like 130M. Also Dreamworks kept it in the theathers forever.

B.) Dragon lacked a hook for this installment beyond the, it is more darker war film and the characters are older that drove child audiences away.

C.) Both dragon films are massivily overrated. I finally saw them and the plots are themes are so generic an the darker moments are undercut by Dreamworks style comedy. I fail to understand why these films should be considered special beyond the flying experience probably being nice in a theather and the concept of vikings and dragons.

Edited by Chinoiserie
  • Like 1

So on the other side of the Incredibles getting moved up coin we have this movie again getting delayed a year. I'd be really shocked if Lasseter is the rumored director of a beloved animated franchise that got booted. Don't know how that could even happen

I really doubt Lasseter will fire himself as director, the most I can see happening is this movie getting another co-director.

On 27/10/2016 at 3:20 AM, robertman2 said:

Well, this getting delayed sucks, but we get Incredibles 2 a year early is sweet

Yeah, I would be mad without that, it's fine. And another year will help Toy Story 4 to benefit from an even bigger international market :P

Toy Story 4 with Marvel / Star Wars toys could make it the biggest animated movie EVER for a very long time, a bit like Avatar did.

• ...wtf 1

8 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Yeah, I would be mad without that, it's fine. And another year will help Toy Story 4 to benefit from an even bigger international market :P

Toy Story 4 with Marvel / Star Wars toys could make it the biggest animated movie EVER for a very long time, a bit like Avatar did.

Especially if they could get the actually the actors to voice them, imagine if Mark Hamill voiced an action figure of Luke Skywalker and Chris Evans voiced Captain America. $$$

• ...wtf 1

39 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Not really. Woody's gang has been the focus of the franchise and that's where it should stay. You throw in some Marvel action figures and it immediately raises the question of where your interests lie in making this film.

Wrong, having Barbie & Ken in TS3 didn't make it a bad movie, not at all.

You're going too deep into this, honestly...Having both is fairly easy, particularly if these Marvel/Star Wars toys have only one or two scenes. Marvel / Star Wars toys are real, they're popular and many kids would see themselves in such a movie.

• Like 3