CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

On 10/7/2019 at 1:04 PM, Finnick said:

It is official: Toy Story 4  is the biggest of the franchise WW.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $433,331,004    40.6%
Foreign:  $634,771,383    59.4%

Worldwide:  $1,068,102,387  

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year
1 Toy Story 4 BV $1,068.1 $433.3 40.6% $634.8 59.4% 2019
2 Toy Story 3 BV $1,067.0 $415.0 38.9% $652.0 61.1% 2010
3 Toy Story 2 BV $497.4 $245.9 49.4% $251.5 50.6% 1999
4 Toy Story BV $373.6 $191.8 51.3% $181.8 48.7% 1995
5 Toy Story / Toy Story 2 (3D) BV $32.3 $30.7 95.1% $1.6 4.9% 2009

And just think, there were people early on saying this was going to underperform. 

I think the problem with Toy Story 4 is it was super overhyped in terms of box office once presales hit.

I mean, presales don’t mean jack shit anymore. Solo had bigger presales than freaking Black Panther. And the result? Mega flop.

Before these presales I was saying about $120-130M OW and about $420-440M total, which I felt was reasonable. But then the presales hit and I jumped on the $500M+ train and upped my predictions to $150-170M OW and $500-550M DOM so I didn’t look like a fool on Reddit.

I think Finding Dory’s OW of $135M was a reasonable ceiling, but $200M was just so obnoxiously unreasonable. Hell even the “reasonable” $140-160M forecasts were unreasonable. Incredibles 2 and Finding Dory just had years of hype, whereas Toy Story 4 was something nobody wanted. What people have to understand is presales don’t mean everything.

But perhaps why Disney said $140M during the hoopla is idk maybe they didn’t want to be seen as way too conservative and get laughed at if they’d said like $100-110M.

But still, remarkable run for TS4. I mean it started off concerning after OW (in regards to passing TS3), and then it held strong because of great WOM. It just boggles me that it only fell 25.8% when TLK opened, when most thought it would fall hard (probably like 50-60%). After the opening, it went from “oh no it’s a disappointment what a disaster for Disney” to “Wow it’s having strong legs this is a great run it will pass TS3”.

Edited by ReptileDysfunction7

https://deadline.com/2020/04/toy-story-4-movie-profit-2019-1202915496/

THE BOTTOM LINE

Disney didn’t go cheap on this long-awaited sequel, this time directed by Josh Cooley, spending well over $500 million in global costs. After $1.073 billion in box office (lower than Incredibles 2‘s $1.2 billion WW, yet higher than Toy Story 3‘s $1.066B), global theatrical rentals were also over a half billion, fueling total worldwide revenues of $871M. Talent participations are typically lower for voice-over actors on animated pics versus live-action, but there’s some legacy talent here with stars Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, plus Keanu Reeves in the mix, who shared in $45M. Total net profit wound up at a sweet $368M.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 6:46 PM, ReptileDysfunction7 said:

I think the problem with Toy Story 4 is it was super overhyped in terms of box office once presales hit.

I mean, presales don’t mean jack shit anymore.

This is really not true. TS4 was an instance of misinterpretation of presale data, it didn't show that presale data was useless. TS4 began presales well after I2, so it had an advantage in first day presales, but it quickly fell behind I2 and never caught up. In fact the tracking thread has only been getting better at predicting from presales, although obviously it's not an exact science.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Menor said:

This is really not true. TS4 was an instance of misinterpretation of presale data, it didn't show that presale data was useless. TS4 began presales well after I2, so it had an advantage in first day presales, but it quickly fell behind I2 and never caught up. In fact the tracking thread has only been getting better at predicting from presales, although obviously it's not an exact science.

Yeah it was always going to have more walk-ups as opposed to Dory and I2. 

But it’s so weird a lot of people predicted sub-$400M before presales, then once tracking came everyone on Reddit jumped on the $600M train, then when tracking came back to normal (I think Deadpool 2 was over-tracked too), it (mainly the OW) was spun as an underperformance. But I think predictions were too high in the first place.

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

you know, I really liked this movie when I first watched it but looking back things like the ending, the Gabby Gabby character, and the portrayal of Buzz as basically dumb comic relief don't really sit well with me. Anyone else felt that way?

Buzz always was a sort of comic relief. Even in the first movie he was the antithesis of Woody, which allowed for him to be the comic relief. The thing is, his arc was essentially completed in the first movie.

• Like 1

Why did Toy Story 4 have much worse August legs than Incredibles 2? Late July-early August TS4 was dropping in the 25-35% range and then mid-August it dropped a hefty 52.5% and then 42.8% the following weekend while Incredibles 2 did just 32.9% and 28.6%. Why is that?

Overall drops for each weekend:

Weekend 29

I2: -26.9%
TS4: -25.8%

Weekend 30

I2: -39.0%

TS4: -32.8%

Weekend 31

I2: -31.4%

TS4: -29.7%

Weekend 32

I2: -31.1%
TS4: -38.4%

Weekend 33

I2: -32.9%
TS4: -52.5%

Weekend 34
I2: -28.6%
TS4: -42.8%

So basically TS4 starts matching I2’s drops, sometimes even holding better, but then it drops significantly bigger compared to I2 in mid-August. Why is that?

On 10/24/2020 at 2:53 PM, DAJK said:

Buzz always was a sort of comic relief. Even in the first movie he was the antithesis of Woody, which allowed for him to be the comic relief. The thing is, his arc was essentially completed in the first movie.

It's true that Buzz's arc was complete in the first movie, but TS4 did dumb him down a bit more than he had been prior. TS2 he led the team of toys across the city to find Woody and helped convince Woody out of his delusions that living as a collectible is the best way to go (essentially flipping the switch opposed to Woody getting him out of the space ranger delusion from the first film) and in TS3 pretty much led the group of toys at the daycare until being brainwashed. 

23 minutes ago, Mango said:

It's true that Buzz's arc was complete in the first movie, but TS4 did dumb him down a bit more than he had been prior. TS2 he led the team of toys across the city to find Woody and helped convince Woody out of his delusions that living as a collectible is the best way to go (essentially flipping the switch opposed to Woody getting him out of the space ranger delusion from the first film) and in TS3 pretty much led the group of toys at the daycare until being brainwashed. 

Yeah Buzz was a little...odd in TS4, but still, great film! Wish Jessie and the OG’s had more screen time tho. But I predicted TS4’s gross pretty accurate ($120-130M OW, $420-440M DOM, actual $120.9M OW $434M DOM) not counting my $150M+ OW and $500M+ DOM projections during the crazy high tracking period before it all went back to normal levels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lilmac said:

My ranking:

Toy Story 3

TS 2

TS 1

TS 4

I've got... 

TS 3

TS 1

TS 2

TS 4

The 4th movie was not worthy of the trilogy before it...if it had been a different series, maybe I'd be easier on it, but the Toy Story trilogy is amazing...and the 4th movie isn't...

Edited by TwoMisfits