RyneOh1040

Weekend Numbers (3/28 - 3/30) Noah 44M Divergent 26.5

Can we keep NOAH specifics out of the weekend numbers thread? :(

Was that directed at me?  I'm sorry, I slipped up.  I'll put a spoiler there.  Sorry.

I would invite everyone to play the Summer Game.  If you are so sure that one film is going to fail and another is going to succeed, put your box office prowess on display for all to witness.

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/14321-7th-annual-baumers-summer-game-summer-is-almost-here/#entry1312186

• Like 2

I want to see Noah. I've deliberately avoided these plagues of fundamentalist-pandering movies (God's Not Dead, Son of God) but with the conservative hate of Noah, maybe I could handle it.

Yeah, two small-budget, niche films targeted at religious conservatives is really a plague.

When Christians talk about hatred towards them being acceptable and even championed, this is what they mean.

• Like 2

I want to see Noah. I've deliberately avoided these plagues of fundamentalist-pandering movies (God's Not Dead, Son of God) but with the conservative hate of Noah, maybe I could handle it.

Noah's biggest problem(for me and the 2 people I was with at least) is that its mostly a slog, so you might just be bored for over 2 hours.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

Yea, I don't see what's the big deal about religious themed movies.  No one is forcing you to see them so why get so bent out of shape when they get made?  You could say the same about any "kind" of movie.

• Like 8

Yeah, two small-budget, niche films targeted at religious conservatives is really a plague.

When Christians talk about hatred towards them being acceptable and even championed, this is what they mean.

That acceptable hatred is still mostly imagined. They have a persecution complex. Besides, the only Christians that are reviled are the bigoted ones. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 1

I liked Divergent and I'm looking forward to the next one.  I too enjoyed Vampire Academy.  Interesting though, why does Divergent succeed where so many fail?

So you're the one.  ;)

• Founder / Operator

That acceptable hatred is still mostly imagined. They have a persecution complex. 

The problem is that both sides of the argument (religious vs. anti-religious) have a persecution complex. Reality is that they're both right in some ways (meaning they both are treated unfairly). For all the hate some hardcore religious people send, they receive it right back. 

• Like 3

So you're the one.  ;)

Yes, it was written by the guy that wrote Heathers, and you can tell.  It's got a sharp wit to it, sometimes too sharp, but nonetheless, it was fun and very entertaining.  And the daughter of Lea Thompson and Howard Deutch is absolutely gorgeous.  Lea Thompson was kinda sexy but more cute in her days, but her daughter is flat out hot!

Nikki:

Well, these Cinemascores are surprising: #Noah un-sinker C, 'Sabotage' stinker B.

And they will once again, mean nothing.

Wolf of Wall Street had a C or something.  

• Like 6

• Founder / Operator

Care to give us your brief thoughts?

I was pretty impressed with Aronofsky's ability to handle a big budget. I was "with" the narrative, more or less, up until

the flood/Noah's mercy killing

. At that point, it became less of a moral parable and more generic Hollywood spectacle. Through that lens, I didn't feel like I was cheated out of my money or my beliefs...it was still fun to watch in IMAX. It's just Aronofsky's interpretation of the story, for better or worse.

• Like 2