RyneOh1040

Weekend Numbers (3/28 - 3/30) Noah 44M Divergent 26.5

I hope that Muppets will indeed earn 10M for the weekend. Mr. Peabody and Sherman holds are good. Both movie still have a week before Rio 2 opens although Captain America is a family friendly movie as well.  I hope Muppets 2 can crawl to 50M at least.

Good numbers for Noah but it will have to generate its profit from the overseas markets. $42-45 million OW translates to around $110-120 million DOM gross which is decent but nothing spectacular. I am actually more impressed by Divergent's second weekend numbers. It isn't behaving like a YA movie and that may mean good things for the franchise in the future.

• Like 2

What controversy?

I think the idea that it wasn't faithful to the Biblical version

It's interesting that religious movies these days are either considered to be too controversal or they're so safe and bland.  There doesn't seem to be a middle ground for these.  I wonder when they were at their height in the 50's and 60's if that was considered the case.

Divergent's good legs should not be a surprise.  Females make up 51% of the American/Canadian public and buy 51% of the movie tickets.  It should not be surprising that they take an interest in movies with a female main character, especially a movie that is pretty decent and has good acting.  Look at Noah, Kermit/Walter, Mr. Peabody, Liam Neeson, Need for Speed, Lego Movie, Kevin Costner, Captain America, etc, and notice just how many of these movies have main characters that are male.  People should look at the better than expected legs of movies like The Heat, The Help, Frozen, Gravity, etc. and think about the lack of female main characters.

Screendaily.com "Paramount Pictures International top brass said Darren Aronofsky’s film opened on $2.75m in Russia for the fourth biggest non-holiday debut in history."

It's heading to a $14m OW in Russia, which is HUGE. And that's with the terrible exchange rate. Last year, it would have been $17m-$18m.