Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

11 hours ago, RichWS said:

Second viewing doesn't hurt. It's a really solid movie. The idea that it's a legitimate Picture and Director contender is crazy to me, though.  

I thought a second viewing hurt it immensely. It always suffered from being predictable down to a tee, but a repeat viewing really highlighted how utterly pedestrian it is. It is saved only by a fun, one-liners fueled script and nice (but not amazing) visuals. I don't think it should be anywhere near the big categories, but whatever. Hopefully SW will knock it out of the park and kick this to the curb at the Oscars. 

11 hours ago, RichWS said:

Second viewing doesn't hurt. It's a really solid movie. The idea that it's a legitimate Picture and Director contender is crazy to me, though.  

Its not as ridiculous as lumping Mad Max with the best picture talk.

• Like 2

One of the most interesting things about theatre is to find the comical in the tragic and the tragic in the comical. Few movies manage to play with these two "categories".

Imho The Martian is a movie that succeeds with those two poles and does it marvellously. I enjoyed it even more during my second viewing and do not find it a stretch to have it in the comedy category (although I agree that it doesn't do the movie justice, as TM is simply too rich of both aspects). 

Not sure it will be a major contender come February, but I sure hope so.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

26 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I thought a second viewing hurt it immensely. It always suffered from being predictable down to a tee, but a repeat viewing really highlighted how utterly pedestrian it is. It is saved only by a fun, one-liners fueled script and nice (but not amazing) visuals. I don't think it should be anywhere near the big categories, but whatever. Hopefully SW will knock it out of the park and kick this to the curb at the Oscars. 

The Martian isn't competing with any other "big" or "genre" movie for major nomination slots, its pretty much locked in at this point.  Fury Road vs. Star Wars, however...

If SW delivers(as in great, not just good), the zeitgeist will probably take whatever potential Fury Road has, especially if it opens to 250m, dominating every headline.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The Martian isn't competing with any other "big" or "genre" movie for major nomination slots, its pretty much locked in at this point.  Fury Road vs. Star Wars, however...

If SW delivers(as in great, not just good), the zeitgeist will probably take whatever potential Fury Road has, especially if it opens to 250m, dominating every headline.

I don't think The Martian is a "lock" yet. I would expect the likes of Spotlight, Carol, Joy, The Revenant, Room, Bridge of Spies, and Brooklyn to all carry more BP heft than The Martian. Same goes for The Hateful Eight if it's on par with Basterds and Django. So that's already 8 films. We may only have 8 noms, who knows. 

And if SW is great and shatters all the records, then I firmly believe it will be more of a lock than The Martian. Whenever the all time DOM record is broken, said movie has been nommed for BP. The Academy will opt to go for THE populist film not a populist film. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, misafeco said:

Birdman and Grand Budapest Hotel were in the Comedy category last year.

Grand Budapest was definitely a comedy, just because you don't find something funny doesn't make it not a comedy.

I could also argue Birdman is more comedically structured than dramatically.  It's a hybrid and could fit in either category.

Comedy is defined by structure not necessarily you laughing. 

• Like 1

I'm actually okay with the category placement.

The movie was very funny to me and to the people on my screening.

It's not like A Week With Marilyn or La Vie En Rose thing.

Even The Tourist was comedy/musical, I don't know why people are so pressed about this.

Edited by Blur
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Blur said:

I'm actually okay with the category placement.

The movie was very funny to me and to the people on my screening.

It's not like A Week With Marilyn or La Vie En Rose thing.

Even The Tourist was comedy/musical, I don't know why people are so pressed about this.

IKR? Maybe it's because many more people saw The Martian and it's easier to wrap their arms in outrage around the comedy or drama debate vs. the Carol/Danish Girl attempted supporting actress fraud also happening this year. Considering some of the nominees in the Musical/Comedy category since 2000:

Nicholas Nickleby

Lost in Translation (a real gut-busting knee-slapper)

Big Fish

Alice in Wonderland (There really wasn't another musical or comedy to nominate instead of this for 2010?)

The Tourist (also 2010, so I guess not, truly the nadir of M/C category)

My Week with Marilyn (I guess they're counting that it's set around the making of The Prince and the Showgirl, an actual comedy?)

American Hustle

Her

It really surprises me to see such a backlash to The Martian being deemed a comedy. Sure, it's more serious at times than Space Cowboys, but that hardly makes it Apollo 13 or even Armageddon.  TM straddles the line for sure, but people probably (intentionally) laughed more at it much more than many other musical/comedy nominations and wins throughout the years, especially when you include the acting categories.

• Like 1