Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

Finished the book yesterday. Good but Mark Watney's character annoyed me at times. He's too resourceful/MacGyvery and the way he acts like he accidentally trips and stumbles his way through surviving on Mars for a year and a half leads to some major eye-roll moments. 

Still, very entertaining. 

Next up on the Martian press tour: After his valuable thoughts on diversity and staying in the closet, Matt Damon gives a passionate defense of his TD Bank voiceover work AND zoophilia.

Matt's just trying to help his buddy Ben cement his A-list status. The lingering idea that Ben was the douchebag in the Damon/Affleck duo was the only thing holding him back

Another Fox movie tracking for 45-55M opening

The Ridley Scott-directed film, released by Twentieth Century Fox, could debut with between $45 million to $55 million, according to people familiar with pre-release audience-tracking surveys. Fox has a more modest forecast of about $40 million. 

• Like 1

Fant4stic was tracking at 50M and opened with 25M.

Maze Runner was tracking at 50M and opened with 30M.

The Martian is tracking at 50M.

There is a trend here.

:kitschjob:

Those films had shit reviews which killed their OW's. The Martian is getting superb reviews and is apparently a crowd pleaser...it should break out.

• Like 3

Agreed. The buzz has picked up considerably in the last few weeks, but I don't think it's as anticipated as IS was last year and that pulled $47m. So I think that's about the ceiling here. 40-45m more likely. 

Martian does have better reviews though and won't have to go up against something like Big Hero 6 (different demographic, but still crowded weekend). I also think this one is gonna be more palatable for audiences.

• Like 3

Martian does have better reviews though and won't have to go up against something like Big Hero 6 (different demographic, but still crowded weekend). I also think this one is gonna be more palatable for audiences.

The reviews only look a lot better in RT score, average rating between the two is looking to be fairly similar. Don't think BH6 and IS affected each other much at all, but could be wrong I suppose. If anything gets this over IS' OW I suspect it would be the Mars announcement. 

• Like 1