grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

10 hours ago, Noctis said:

Just...unbelievable...the consistency...

When I try to think of traditionally handsome actors who legit. blew up over the last few decades primarily for their looks, he has to be there. Anyone who was involved in pop culture circa 2001-2003 knows that seemingly every woman aged 14-30 was in love with him as a movie star "leading man", not just an actor on a CW show ala Chad Michael Murray or a side character from a teen comedy ala Ashton Kutcher. Those people are still alive and well, though younger and older crowds try to block out the early 2000s and focus only on 1990s/2008 onwards. 

Cant believe we haven't had a film with Tommy Lee Jones playing the father of rugged James Brolin and sensitive Josh Hartnett. They all have the same face.

Edited by excel1

32 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Josh Hartnett is an average, typical white boy. 

Goodbye.

You pretty much just described a ken doll. Though even a casual observer can tell that Hartnett - and many many many others - is much more "traditionally handsome" than Ryan Gosling as the other poster observed. It really isn't an opinion, he has very few of the traditionally sought facial features. 

Watching the gif in the tweet above, it's remarkable how much he looks like Josh Brolin's skinny younger brother. 

Edited by excel1

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

About that…

Taken with lots of salt, but still. I wouldn’t be surprised.

Eh, stuff like this comes.out about every celebrity. Like you said, I take it all with a grain of salt. Hollywood Gossip, especially in the age of social media, is basically outrage bait, not to mention tedious.

Noy saying he's 100% innocent either because really, what do I know?

Just now, Verrows said:

Eh, stuff like this comes.out about every celebrity. Like you said, I take it all with a grain of salt. Hollywood Gossip, especially in the age of social media, is basically outrage bait, not to mention tedious.

Noy saying he's 100% innocent either because really, what do I know?

If he isn’t, this sort of stuff doesn’t take too much time to come out from actual reliable sources. Shit like deusxmoi, tmz and etc are rags, but wouldn’t be the first time that they reveal something that ends up being confirmed by the trades/ He exiting The Witcher out of the blue did felt weird tho. Going back to Superman didn’t make sense, neither simply Warhammer. It was an weird move.

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

If he isn’t, this sort of stuff doesn’t take too much time to come out from actual reliable sources. Shit like deusxmoi, tmz and etc are rags, but wouldn’t be the first time that they reveal something that ends up being confirmed by the trades/ He exiting The Witcher out of the blue did felt weird tho. Going back to Superman didn’t make sense, neither simply Warhammer. It was an weird move.

That's a good point. The circumstances of his exit are curious. Even if he was going back to Superman, one can have two franchises.

Moderation

Some of you guys didn't get the message, so I'll be a bit clearer. We're not insulting or attacking Ryan Gosling's apperance. It's disrespecful, mean, and incredibly rude, and offers nothing of value to this conversation. Do this again, and you will be threadbanned.

This is also not the Henry Cavill thread. This is the place to talk about Barbie, so please talk about Barbie. Thank you.

I can take or leave Cavill but that 'toxicity' stuff sounds more like a star who knows his passion project is going down the toilet and is trying to salvage whatever scene he can. The writing on the show was appalling and blaming the guy who just left is mighty convenient.

EDIT - wrote that before reading the mod post above.

Edited by Hatebox

12 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Haha this thread Some people forget that some acting is required, something that Gosling is very much capable. Same can't be said for Hartnett or Cavill. Much, much lower tier.

JH and HC can definitely play a Ken Doll, be serious, they basically played that role in many of their early roles. JH has actually done fairly well in some dramatic roles over the years as well. 

Edited by excel1

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Is there any particular reason to think this movie will be a hit, other than Twitter hype? I don’t know, this just seems kinda niche. 

This has a sense of legitimacy to it that the majority of the "hyped by Twitter, greeted with a shrug by the real world" movies have lacked to date in that it has a boatload of notable talent both in front and behind the camera and also is clearly aiming to be female-centric summer counterprogramming with its date, and will surely to have plenty of targeted marketing towards those demos up to its release date (do we even need to bet whether or not WB will release the final trailer in time to be attached with The Little Mermaid given the mother/daughter overlap?). It's bound to receive a lot more press coverage than something like, say, M3GAN (which is looking to be one of the bigger tests to date as to whether or not viral marketing and nothing else can bring people to shell out $12 for a ticket to see the actual movie) ever would and could also, given the talent, end up being a quality movie that catches on via WOM too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This has a sense of legitimacy to it that the majority of the "hyped by Twitter, greeted with a shrug by the real world" movies have lacked to date in that it has a boatload of notable talent both in front and behind the camera and also is clearly aiming to be female-centric summer counterprogramming with its date, and will surely to have plenty of targeted marketing towards those demos up to its release date (do we even need to bet whether or not WB will release the final trailer in time to be attached with The Little Mermaid given the mother/daughter overlap?). It's bound to receive a lot more press coverage than something like, say, M3GAN (which is looking to be one of the bigger tests to date as to whether or not viral marketing and nothing else can bring people to shell out $12 for a ticket to see the actual movie) ever would and could also, given the talent, end up being a quality movie that catches on via WOM too.

I’m not speaking in terms of quality. A Barbie movie directed and written by the people behind Marriage Story is intriguing for sure, but I don’t know if it’s something that will have much commercial appeal. Plus, this past year hasn’t exactly made a compelling case for Margot Robbie’s ability to get people into a theater. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not speaking in terms of quality. A Barbie movie directed and written by the people behind Marriage Story is intriguing for sure, but I don’t know if it’s something that will have much commercial appeal. Plus, this past year hasn’t exactly made a compelling case for Margot Robbie’s ability to get people into a theater. 

Her bombs this year were hardly her fault, as has been discussed elsewhere (especially when she gave good performances in them, especially Babylon, despite being flawed movies overall). I'm mostly just amused at the prospect of Twitter expecting a movie that (based on everything so far) seems to be a heartwarming family flick in the Enchanted mold being a landmark of cinema lol. But I'm sure Hollywood is patting themselves on the back for managing to actually succeed in getting folks that aren't little girls intrigued by a Barbie movie.