grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

You won’t, pretty much all women on film twitter that works as critics is obsessed with the movie 

But is it really that difference from something like MCU? It’s a huge movie, people are excited 

The fact that they expectations are too high and they’re happy is a good sign at least, because is easy to be disappointed when you expect too much.

Fair point about high expectations being met. And it does like it’s going to go well with critics, especially for the boldness of the execution. Sounds great so far.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Redolent said:

Fair point about high expectations being met. And it does like it’s going to go well with critics, especially for the boldness of the execution. Sounds great so far.

Definitely, but it’s really a shame how messy this rollout has been. 

Apparently WB is really making sure to get people with more followers to watch first, i get it from a commercial pov but is really unfair with other relevant writers that aren’t really big on social media. 

Maybe they feel the reviews will be good but not astonishingly out of this world so they think it’s not worthy of planning to everyone watch it earlier. 

We should get another wave of reactions Monday with NYC screening. Today was for LA i think.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Definitely, but it’s really a shame how messy this rollout has been. 

Apparently WB is really making sure to get people with more followers to watch first, i get it from a commercial pov but is really unfair with other relevant writers that aren’t really big on social media. 

Maybe they feel the reviews will be good but not astonishingly out of this world so they think it’s not worthy of planning to everyone watch it earlier. 

We should get another wave of reactions Monday with NYC screening. Today was for LA i think.

Writers with low or no social media followings will probably be at Oppenheimer rather than Barbie. 

Can we pause for a moment and appreciate that it increasingly looks like we're getting two incredible movies after all the hype leading up to Barbenheimer? If they are both as good as early reactions suggest then Barbenheimer will live on forever in pop culture history. What a time to be alive!

• Like 10

Probably for both movies Warner and Universal knew about the risk of the strike so last minute reviews are a way to have something people can talk about before the movies came. With the strike actors can't literally even make an Instagram post about their movie. So we would have been an almost total silence around them if we already had the reviews conversation before the strike happened. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

Also regarding the late embargo date, perhaps it has to do with wanting to keep the plot under wraps. With the saturated film critic market, a lot of the reviewers tend to dive into plot point and details in their review. And words spread fast on twitter and other social media, so holding the review back if they think that the plot may matter make sense.

But I also think their schedule for critic screenings and what they are doing against Oppenheimer in that regards is maybe another story altogether.

The hype and resales are so insane that there is zero reason too possibly disrupt it with reviews regardless of they turn out.

also please fast track BARBIE 2 for CHRISTMAS 2024/2025.

49 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The fact I’m actually mulling over the 200 OW possibilities at this point… probably not, but if it does it will be one of the most epic jaw dropping moments in box office history. 

Why would it be jawdropping? There’s a massive built-in audience. 

... $150m+ is jaw dropping for a movie like this... but $200m+ may be the most impressive opening ever. 

I am so stoked for this film. If its anything like some of these reactions are saying I think this is gonna be something really special. Such a shame its coming out during the beginning of this strike. 

16 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

not my comment , but the fact that a Barbie film could out open any batman film would be jawdropping

I don't see it that way. Strictly from brand awareness, Barbie is very high on the list. You've got over half the population on the hook, immediately. I don't think that's the case with Batman. 

32 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

the fact that a Barbie film could out open any batman film would be jawdropping

obviously not with inflation factored in lol

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I don't see it that way. Strictly from brand awareness, Barbie is very high on the list. You've got over half the population on the hook, immediately. I don't think that's the case with Batman. 

still we think Barbie peaks decades ago , apparently not , but maybe this opens to Beauty and The Beast numbers with inflation added , i think the surprise is the mad rush to see opening weekend

18 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

???????????

4 different Batman films broke the opening weekend record (Batman, Returns, Forever, The Dark Knight)