grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

7 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Doing a Barbie sequel would certainly be a choice after the movie's ending. Just leave it alone. It'll be like doing an Oppenheimer sequel.

Mattel should shut that down, getting a good/great Barbie film was a miracle itself and a shitty sequel would just damage the brand.

WBD and Mattel won't stop trying to profit from this movie, so a sequel is unavoidable. However, I also don't know how they could make a sequel after the ending.

I guess the best option would be a movie with a new Barbie as protagonist.

2 hours ago, Kon said:

WBD and Mattel won't stop trying to profit from this movie, so a sequel is unavoidable. However, I also don't know how they could make a sequel after the ending.

I guess the best option would be a movie with a new Barbie as protagonist.

I would think the obvious route to continue milking this would be to do a Ken spin-off. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 9:47 AM, SpiderByte said:

What studios should learn from this: give directors space and a solid but not over expensive budget and it can do very well, and that comedies are viable as theatrical releases.

What they absolutely will decide is the lesson instead: greenlighting a bunch of movies based on toys. Being based on a toy is why people liked it, time for Hungry Hungry Hippo the movie and the Mattel Cinematic Universe 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Read a tweet saying Lena Dunham will direct lily collins in a polly pocket film and I’m too tired to check if it’s real or a joke. 

I don't know about the specific talent named, but a Polly Pocket film is in the works.

58 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Sorry, but I just cannot see how you get a decent movie out of some of those.

And, hey Mattel, you don't see that you have two franchises fighting for the same exact niche with Matchbox and Hot Wheels?

20 minutes ago, Avatree said:

is it just me that had never heard of Mattel before this weekend?

Let;s just say you are in a small minority if you never heard of Mattel. the single biggest toy company in the USA.

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Read a tweet saying Lena Dunham will direct lily collins in a polly pocket film and I’m too tired to check if it’s real or a joke. 

It's a joke. People just need to stop for a second and think.

21 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

The verified audience score on Rotten Tomatoes took a hit. That seems a bit unusual. 

still going down, i'm guessing a lot people that would not normally check out the film, are due to everybody talking about it , they see it and its not for them

I never realised that Mattel owned Barney and Wishbone, I knew they owned Thomas the Tank Engine. 

Masters of the Universe is the most film friendly and with spin-off potential with She-Ra. Thomas is a bit more tricky but I think one way to do is using real steam engines and then using motion capture on the front or if you wanted to really waste money, have animatronic faces.

9 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Lol now it's "Woke Disney is in trouble" since they can't pretend it's unpopular

They will try to use Margot as their poster child white woman now. It’s so obvious and predictable that you can literally predict their moves months in advance. The Marvels performs well? Well that’s because Carol Danvers is white and the lead, they will always find an angle to spew their racist shit.