Fancyarcher

The BFG (Spielberg Attached to Direct) July 1, 2016

1 hour ago, Free State of Tele said:

Because it makes sense to antagonize the most powerful filmmaker in Hollywood? :thinking: 

I don't really buy the "muted" campaign either, I'm seeing plenty of BFG spots on TV on major programming, billboards everywhere, posters on buses, etc.

It's lacking that Disney golden touch. You can feel that there really isn't a whole ton of excitement in the air and that their marketing muscle has gone to Finding Dory.

As for the other thing, their partnership with DW hasn't exactly been fruitful (The Help and Lincoln are outliers in a string of mostly duds and modest-at-best performers), so it wouldn't be surprising to me if they see leaving for Universal as no big loss to them despite the clout of having him under their label.

• Like 1

I saw this and...I quite enjoyed it.  It drags a bit in the middle but it's charming, absolutely gorgeous and feels quite unique for the big budget spectrum.  It's also...not a crossover (I mean to adults) film.  IMO.  But it's pretty solid.

Im not seeing it doing well though.  I imagine it'll be quite divisive.  But I enjoyed it.  Especially when it went all England.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kowhite said:

It's also...not a crossover (I mean to adults) film.  IMO.  But it's pretty solid.

Yeah, the story skews young. This isn't really something like THE HOBBIT where you can quasi-justify going darker.

Then again, adults don't seem to mind sitting through animated movies that're aimed at the same demographics, so hopefully it'll still attract families.

Just now, Free State of Tele said:

Yeah, the story skews young. This isn't really something like THE HOBBIT where you can quasi-justify going darker.

Then again, adults don't seem to mind sitting through animated movies that're aimed at the same demographics, so hopefully it'll still attract families.

It's totally for families.  But it does drag in the middle, and it's not wall to wall fart jokes (yet...I say that with some irony cause this movie fucking loves fart jokes)...

So I dunno.  It's like a really classy, well made and beautiful kids movie.  I just don't know if that's what the mainstream wants.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kowhite said:

It's totally for families.  But it does drag in the middle, and it's not wall to wall fart jokes (yet...I say that with some irony cause this movie fucking loves fart jokes)...

So I dunno.  It's like a really classy, well made and beautiful kids movie.  I just don't know if that's what the mainstream wants.  

Hey, I've been reading the book to Tele Jr -- there better be goddamn fart jokes in the movie. :lol: 

I don't think it'll be a big success, actually. But I'd like to be wrong. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

Hey, I've been reading the book to Tele Jr -- there better be goddamn fart jokes in the movie. :lol: 

I don't think it'll be a big success, actually. But I'd like to be wrong. 

Oh, there are fart jokes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Free State of Tele said:

I'd add LIFE OF PI and (maybe) PROMETHEUS too.

Yeah, I was torn about adding Pi. I thought the 3d was certainly very nice in it, but not quite of the "enhancing" variety like the other 3 I mentioned. I don't really remember Prometheus' 3D, so either I didn't see it in 3D or didn't think much of it. 

• Like 1

The budget likely was already partly covered by DreamWorks selling the OS rights. It's surprising that Spielberg doesn't spend that much on his films compared to other blockbusters. I imagine Ready Player One will be nearer $200m though

• Like 1