lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

Given the low budget, this looks like it might be more of a character driven / story driven movie with little action / VFX sprinkled on it. I think this might be the best way to go though as they need to re-invigorate the brand for both old fans and new ones as well which should be done by making a good movie not by making a visual and action effects feast.

When its all said and done, this thing wont cost $35m and we know that. The only reason this got greenlit was becasue of the success of Ninja Turtles.

Sony tried to say TASM was going to cost $80m and we saw how that turned out. Theyll up the ante, just give it time. THG is over and LG knows they need new franchises. Doing a "character study" is not going to accomplish that goal.

Edited by jandrew

Honestly, if done right and marketed right Power Rangers could be a big surprise at the box office. Little kids LOVE the Power Rangers and there's definitely a nostalgia factor that can help it. It won't come close to something like GODZILLA 2014 or even the new NINA TURTLES... but it can for sure surprise a lot of people.

Same thing here as in the Ascendant thread about the Lionsgate release date changes in an article by Forbes' Scott Mendelson, and he writes about how the first PR movie is more important to Lionsgate than the last Divergent movie.  He mentions Divergent as part of a declining movie genre, but yet, the superhero genre Power Rangers is entering into is already a crowded field.  I can definitely see a copy of the comic book world taking place in the movie world: there's Marvel movies, there's DC movies, and then there's everybody else.  And the "everybody else" part is where Lionsgate and Power Rangers currently sit.

On 12/18/2015, 7:18:31, jandrew said:

When its all said and done, this thing wont cost $35m and we know that. The only reason this got greenlit was becasue of the success of Ninja Turtles.

Sony tried to say TASM was going to cost $80m and we saw how that turned out. Theyll up the ante, just give it time. THG is over and LG knows they need new franchises. Doing a "character study" is not going to accomplish that goal.

I'm not sure "fighting fire with fire" would be the best strategy here.  Increasing the budget should create better special effects and such, but the risk of another Fantastic Four scenario would increase: huge budget, low audience turnout.  And the company that ultimately allowed a Power Rangers movie to happen by selling the rights to Saban (and by extension, allowing a Lionsgate movie) is Disney.  They must have had their reasons for selling the Power Rangers IP in 2010, even after acquiring Marvel in 2009.  Is trying to compete against Marvel and Disney directly like that going to be the best strategy for Lionsgate?  It could definitely work out for them, but how much budget is too much for this kind of film?

Edited by Outrageous!
  • Like 1

When this was first announced I assumed they'd make some huge budget inoffensive hero's journey fluff that'd be indistinguishable from every other blockbuster and do well despite cries about "Power Rangers lore" from the internet

Then they announced the cast and rumors about a tiny budget circulated and I figured they were just shitting out a (relatively) tiny cost-controlled movie that would rely on nostalgia and a dumb weird fanbase

But Idk how Elizabeth Banks got mixed up in all this...

• Like 2

Just now, Chewy said:

When this was first announced I assumed they'd make some huge budget inoffensive hero's journey fluff that'd be indistinguishable from every other blockbuster and do well despite cries about "Power Rangers lore" from the internet

Then they announced the cast and rumors about a tiny budget circulated and I figured they were just shitting out a (relatively) tiny cost-controlled movie that would rely on nostalgia and a dumb weird fanbase

Well she was literally just in another recent Lionsgate film....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chewy said:

She will import her character from the Hunger Games and use it as the villain here.

• Like 1

At first I thought "oh Elizabeth, I know actors need paychecks every now and then but..." but then I read she was playing Rita Repulsa and I thought "I'll watch at least her clips on YouTube someday." Lol.

I hope they duplicate the nonsensical trope of her throwing the staff down at Earth and making her monsters grow to Godzilla size.

For me, Banks is the only thing that makes me think this might have SOME chance.  I grew up with PR and oddly enough just watched the original movie again a few weeks ago (it did NOT hold up, haha).  I think if this were done right it could really be huge.  Like 200 DOM huge.  But the fact that it's Lionsgate, a cast of unkowns (when I saw Becky G was cast that was kind of the nail in the coffin for me) and a small budget doesn't give me much hope.  Banks is the one thing that makes me think maybe they have something good up their sleeves but like someone else said Banks has made good AND bad choices in the past few years.  This could just be a payday for her.