A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

20 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Doom is wonderful b/c he can be as strong or as weak as your plot needs him to be - ala Batman.  

Doom is basically one of the smartest people in Marvel and has magic to rival the sorcerer Supreme. It's not hard to make him a cosmic threat given the right story.

• Like 3

On 4/19/2023 at 11:09 PM, Mojoguy said:

It's crazy how quick MeToo and Cancel Culture is. Sure if Majors is guilty punish him, but he deserves his day in court before his career is blown up.

Reminds me how quickly James Gunn got fired. Of course his stupid tweets were less of a crime than assault.

lol consequences for violent crime and beating up women is not 'cancel culture'  Its not like Jonathan Majors made some controversial political statement or something

And yes, Ezra Miller should be canned too.

• Like 3

On 4/20/2023 at 12:09 PM, Mojoguy said:

It's crazy how quick MeToo and Cancel Culture is. Sure if Majors is guilty punish him, but he deserves his day in court before his career is blown up.

Reminds me how quickly James Gunn got fired. Of course his stupid tweets were less of a crime than assault.

You want to blame, blame his dumbfuck lawyer for releasing those text messages which amount to admitting that he did it. No need to give Majors a day in court when he more or less admitted to his crime.

1 hour ago, scytheavatar said:

You want to blame, blame his dumbfuck lawyer for releasing those text messages which amount to admitting that he did it. No need to give Majors a day in court when he more or less admitted to his crime.

Of course Majors deserves his day in court as far as any  criminal charges ...without Due Process Of Law we are a dictatorship...but his lawyer is a moron and it is not looking good for him.

Edited by dudalb

3 hours ago, Sckathian said:

Marvel's management of the character and of SJ are a real black blot on this overall management of the MCU. Really bizzare decisions from beginning to end.

That is a major reason that Iger came back. Iger knows better then to alainate the talent.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Doom is my favorite Marvel villian, But the MCU needs a cosmic  power level villian, and Doom is not that.

I think the disagreement comes two fold. One that MCU needs a cosmic level villain, and the other that Doom is incapable of being a Cosmic level threat. 

The idea of Doom being a cosmic threat is more realistic than Osborn being an Avengers villain 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Honestly give it about 4 more years before everyone realizes just how dumb Thanos and his plan were in hindsight

I was there on day 1. Main reason I liked Endgame more than Infinity War was that they weren't trying to make Thanos seem "deep". All the hoops they tried to do to make Thanos' plan sound "relatable" in IW was just silly.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Mickiland16 said:

Looks like this, Lillo & Stitch and probably Hercules are the 2025 live-action remakes with Lilo & Stitch going to Disney Plus.

I do not understand that strategy either...if you are doing live action, WHY would you release half of them direct to D+ and half theatrically and expect the theatrical ones to do well?  You're cheapening your own product of animated classics by saying "half good and half bad"...

This is one of the BIG reasons I think Little Mermaid underperforms.  I still cannot fathom who thought it was a great idea to release Peter Pan and Wendy to D+ next weekend, just 4 weeks before theatrically releasing Little Mermaid.  There's no rhyme or reason to why these decisions are getting made.  I mean, Lilo and Stitch is probably more popular than Hercules and yet, I also don't see why you'd do Lilo and Moana the same year...

Edited by TwoMisfits

18 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I do not understand that strategy either...if you are doing live action, WHY would you release half of them direct to D+ and half theatrically and expect the theatrical ones to do well?  You're cheapening your own product of animated classics by saying "half good and half bad"...

This is one of the BIG reasons I think Little Mermaid underperforms.  I still cannot fathom who thought it was a great idea to release Peter Pan and Wendy to D+ next weekend, just 4 weeks before theatrically releasing Little Mermaid.  There's no rhyme or reason to why these decisions are getting made.  I mean, Lilo and Stitch is probably more popular than Hercules and yet, I also don't see why you'd do Lilo and Moana the same year...

They've been doing this from the very beginning of D+ with The Lady and the Tramp.

Seems like the logic is:

Big Important live-action remakes go theatrical

Less important and expected to be not nearly as good live-action remakes go direct to video to D+.

While I was being a bit cheeky with the direct-to-video bit, I do think this is a modern day version of the same phenomenon.  Something the company has real faith in goes theatrical.  Things they don't (or more charitably expect to have less GA appeal) go straight to D+.

Since they've been doing this since D+ opened up shop, don't think it's quite the same thing as what they've been doing to their animation slate when it comes to conditioning the audience.

Edited by Porthos

59 minutes ago, Porthos said:

They've been doing this from the very beginning of D+ with The Lady and the Tramp.

Seems like the logic is:

Big Important live-action remakes go theatrical

Less important and expected to be not nearly as good live-action remakes go direct to video to D+.

While I was being a bit cheeky with the direct-to-video bit, I do think this is a modern day version of the same phenomenon.  Something the company has real faith in goes theatrical.  Things they don't (or more charitably expect to have less GA appeal) go straight to D+.

Since they've been doing this since D+ opened up shop, don't think it's quite the same thing as what they've been doing to their animation slate when it comes to conditioning the audience.

Well, their D+ live actions since Covid start haven't been doing better than their animated theatrically, have they?  Mulan and Cruella had less than $100M DOM (yes, Covid effect, especially for Mulan, but still)...

Once they got a huge D+ audience, they had a huge group who wanted to get their money's worth for their monthly fee...and that seems to be seriously effecting, well, everything, especially the things that are so weirdly split, like X live action animated classic vs Y live action animated classic...

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

They can always reverse course and send it theatrical if tests well. Wouldn't exactly bet on that happening though. No shade to the name actors attached (Zach Galifianakis, Courtney B. Vance, Billy Magnussen) but the cast is definitely screaming "Disney+" so far.

Edited by filmlover