A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

12 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Ehhh I think the TV side will be shaken up for sure. Wonder Man is probably getting the Daredevil reshuffle since apparently part of the showrunner thing is based on the new WGA contract, but if the push is for more ongoings and fewer miniseries stuff like Vision Quest is probably not happening.

What has people working isn’t changing, what I mean is that there is no way we get a Batgirl situation here. I think a recast of Kang is unavoidable at this point, but I take issue with the article assessment that they are struggling to recast him. You can make Kang’s story work without him, misdirection is very much at the heart of what Kang is as a character, it’s also a theme of Loki’s show. What I believe people misunderstand about Kang is that he was never supposed to be the Thanos of this era. He can be a cunning villain, but the actual big bad for Secret Wars has always been Doctor Doom.

secretwars04tif_20copy_1024x1024.jpg?v=1

Edited by ZattMurdock

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The only big takeaway I have is that I’m flabbergasted that they’d feel so desperate that they’d need to make a nostalgia bait movie with the original Avengers cast. Things can’t be that dire, can they? 

Also, just recast Kang. He should theoretically be a pretty easy character to recast anyway. 

Secret Wars is by its very nature a giant nostalgia bait story. It's not stated in the article but best guess would be that that is the potential movie they'd bring back the original cast for.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The only big takeaway I have is that I’m flabbergasted that they’d feel so desperate that they’d need to make a nostalgia bait movie with the original Avengers cast. Things can’t be that dire, can they? 

Also, just recast Kang. He should theoretically be a pretty easy character to recast anyway. 

It was the plan all along. This is what Secret Wars is about. Does anyone really believe they would get satisfied only reuniting some Spider-Men and X-Men with the new generation of Avengers? Secret Wars is precisely about that. I’ve been saying this here to deaf ears for years. 

I’m not sure how can anyone working at Marvel can react to this without giving away what Secret Wars is. Secret Wars is everyone is here on steroids the movie. It’s what the comics were as well. I don’t believe that Tony Stark is sticking around, neither that a soft reboot is following. I also don’t believe that this is about multiverses or time displaced Avengers either.

Do you remember those visions that Thanos had once he killed half the universe? Or that deleted scene with a vision that Stark has with an older Morgan played by that girl from 13 Reasons Why? The infinity stones, particularly the soul stone, are special. There is a reason why they required Gamora’s and Natasha’s sacrifice. In the comics, Adam Warlock and Gamora formed the Infinity Watch because they were trapped inside the soul stone. Stark is dead. He died. Same for Gamora. Their souls in the other hand…

Edited by ZattMurdock

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think you can make Marvel or Star Wars on the cheap without a noticeable dissolution of quality and cutting WDAS and Pixar budgets would see backlash. People go on about Illumination and SPA but in the case of the latter, the stories about the work conditions is a sign that cutting budgets isn't always a good thing.

Untrue. Raya and ATSV have the same budget ($100m).

7 minutes ago, JWR said:

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The real question is: How much will it cost Disney?

Disney to Buy Full Control of Hulu In Deal With Comcast

The conglomerate has so far held a 33 percent stake in the streamer.

Plus Icon

•  

Disney has agreed to take full control of Hulu in a deal with Comcast, which has so far owned a third of the streamer.

“The acquisition of Comcast’s stake in Hulu at fair market value will further Disney’s streaming objectives,” the Bob Iger-led company said in a statement on Wednesday.

Wall Street has over the past year repeatedly discussed Hulu’s future due to its shared ownership and put and call options. Starting in November, Comcast has had a put option to require Disney to take over its stake, while Disney has had the right to tell Comcast to sell it its stake. As per an agreement between the two companies, Hulu was set to get a fair market value assessment from independent experts, but the guaranteed minimum Hulu valuation of $27.5 billion means that Disney knew it had to cough up at least $9 billion. In the filing Wednesday, Disney said that it expects to pay $8.61 billion, though it will go through the appraisal process to determine the final number.

“While the timing of the appraisal process is uncertain, we anticipate it should be completed during the 2024 calendar year,” Disney said.

Disney CEO Bob Iger has signaled that he wants to refocus the company on its beloved content brands from Pixar and Marvel to Lucasfilm, including family and kids fare. Asked on CNBC in February 2023 what that meant for Hulu, he said: “Everything is on the table right now, so I am not going to speculate whether we are a buyer or a seller of it. But I obviously have suggested that I’m concerned about undifferentiated general entertainment [content], particularly in the competitive landscape that we are operating in.”

MoffettNathanson analysts Craig Moffett and Michael Nathanson tried to read between the lines, writing in a report back then: “Disney CEO Bob Iger was notably noncommittal about Disney buying. And he was notably evasive about Disney selling. Comcast has been characteristically silent. Let the speculation begin.” But he and most other analysts have since seen Comcast as the natural seller of its Hulu stake.

Roberts then said at an annual Goldman Sachs event earlier this fall that triggering the option was very likely.

In July, Moffett and Nathanson forecast Hulu would add roughly 2.0 million subscribers a year “to reach 55.2 million subscribers by 2026,” including 49.7 million SVOD users, the rest Live TV+SVOD customers. “We expect Hulu to reach $14.1 billion in revenues in fiscal year 2026.”

THR link

Edited by Porthos

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As per an agreement between the two companies, Hulu was set to get a fair market value assessment from independent experts, but the guaranteed minimum Hulu valuation of $27.5 billion means that Disney knew it had to cough up at least $9 billion. In the filing Wednesday, Disney said that it expects to pay $8.61 billion, though it will go through the appraisal process to determine the final number.

Can someone parse this for me, as this seems on the surface to be contradictory.  Are there offsets somewhere?  Something I'm missing?  Even setting aside the "appraisal process" fig leaf, I don't get how Disney expects to pay under the "guaranteed minimum"

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Can someone parse this for me, as this seems on the surface to be contradictory.  Are there offsets somewhere?  Something I'm missing?  Even setting aside the "appraisal process" fig leaf, I don't get how Disney expects to pay under the "guaranteed minimum"

I know that @AnotherDayAnotherDollar is far more knowledgeable about this than me, so I’d defer to him.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Didn't they agree on that matter a few years ago? Or will there be a bunch of exceptions and arbitration

They agreed that if they couldn't agree on a price they'd take it to arbitration. It appears that a final final number hasn't yet been agreed to.  Just that:

1] Disney is in fact pulling the trigger.

and

2] Is trying to do it on the cheaper side. 

(neither is much of a surprise, really)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I know that @AnotherDayAnotherDollar is far more knowledgeable about this than me, so I’d defer to him.

Gonna tag @keysersoze123 as I think they play in the world of finance. @Potiki is very knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the streaming landscape so they'd be my personal Go To source on parsing this.

Hell, while I'm at might as well bug @ZeeSoh as well since I he's fairly in tune with the Financial World.

Context for all those I'm tagging:

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As per an agreement between the two companies, Hulu was set to get a fair market value assessment from independent experts, but the guaranteed minimum Hulu valuation of $27.5 billion means that Disney knew it had to cough up at least $9 billion. In the filing Wednesday, Disney said that it expects to pay $8.61 billion, though it will go through the appraisal process to determine the final number.

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

They agreed that if they couldn't agree on a price they'd take it to arbitration. It appears that a final final number hasn't yet been agreed to.  Just that:

1] Disney is in fact pulling the trigger.

and

2] Is trying to do it on the cheaper side. 

(neither is much of a surprise, really)

In the article, it says NBC Universal actually pulled the trigger today. I'm guessing the appraisal process must be long if they don't expect it to be done until sometime next year but it seems like that $8.6 billion will allow them to take over starting in December before all that is done. I wonder if they'll launch the combined Disney+/Hulu app in December?

4 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

i thought they already owned hulu though...

Comcast still had (and still technically has until the sale is official) about a 33% or so share in Hulu.  What either Comcast or Disney did with Hulu has been the source of considerable speculation for about three or four years now.