A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

Hot take: I don’t think Bob Iger is as brilliant as he’s often made out to be. Keep in mind that he’s the one who insisted on putting out a new Star Wars movie every year, which didn’t work out very well in hindsight. He was also the one who insisted on having all these Marvel shows on Disney+, which may or may not be contributing to franchise fatigue for the MCU as a whole. 

There’s no denying that Disney had an immensely profitable run during the 2010s, but much of the seeds of the problems that Disney has faced under Chapek were planted while Iger was still in charge. 

• Like 2

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Hot take: I don’t think Bob Iger is as brilliant as he’s often made out to be. Keep in mind that he’s the one who insisted on putting out a new Star Wars movie every year

Hotter take:  Having a SW movie every year wasn't the problem, it was not letting the filmmakers have enough time to make them.

Iger himself has acknowledged that not listening to Kennedy and others asking for delays in various sequel films led to problems.

• Like 8

@Toruk Makto XXR not going to look back for the post you made on what Iger is getting paid but we know now and it is a lot lower than I think wee were both suspecting 

$1 million a year and $25 million in Stock bonuses.

source:https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/us/the_walt_disney_company/SEC/sec-show.aspx?FilingId=16215475&Cik=0001744489&Type=PDF&hasPdf=1 

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Hotter take:  Having a SW movie every year wasn't the problem, it was not letting the filmmakers have enough time to make them.

Iger himself has acknowledged that not listening to Kennedy and others asking for delays in various sequel films led to problems.

I didn’t mean to suggest that it was the sole problem, but as you said yourself, Iger rushed through the entire thing because of his own lack of patience, which ultimately proved detrimental to the brand. That’s a definite blemish on his run that people seem to have conveniently forgotten about. 

12 hours ago, CloneWars said:

Thank fucking god. Chapek sucked and needed to go a long time ago. Honestly, I think Kevin Feige threatened to leave and the Board was like fuck no. 

The Zaslav-Feige rumor was eye-opening. Zaslav is obviously smart enough to know Feige is Disney's golden boy and the only way that conversation happens if he thinks somethings up. 

9 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Chapek should've never mistreated Iger.

What happened here ?

4 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Iger is the reason Star Wars is a mess, he rushed out a trilogy before it was completely thought out

This is true...

2 hours ago, JWR said:

That actually quite low. Didn't Ovitz get like 5x that about 25 years ago?

17 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I didn’t mean to suggest that it was the sole problem, but as you said yourself, Iger rushed through the entire thing because of his own lack of patience, which ultimately proved detrimental to the brand. That’s a definite blemish on his run that people seem to have conveniently forgotten about. 

Ohhhh, trust me, Star Wars Fans hadn't forgotten.  Indeed it was one of the bigger topics of discussion last night on various SW subs (reddit and elsewhere).

Ironically enough, SW fans might be the ONLY group within the Disney fanbase that Chapek hadn't totally alienated.

For all of Iger's success, there are some real lessons here with regards to what NOT to do with succession. 

If there is one enormous flaw with Iger's tenure, it's obvious at this point that the lack of no clear, obvious number 2, groomed successor was a big mistake. Everyone hated on Eisner, but he helped Iger learned significantly. Iger firing (if it was really his call) Tom Staggs in 2016 looks to have been a big mistake. There were others too, ala Kevin Mayer, who are no longer with he company and would certainly been better than Chapek. On top of that, Iger basically never left and this is a valid issue for Chapek to take criticism of. Iger HATED Eisner's interference early on in Iger's time as CEO - but he basically takes over the company a few months into Chapek's tenure, and then hovers over top for well after.

Also noteworthy...how did the Disney board get it so wrong with choosing Chapek? The company was so revered that it made sense to promote from within. But how did they settle on that guy over Kevin Mayer? Why did they ditch Tom Staggs? 

Iger deserves some criticism for the horrendous succession planning. He just does. For someone as sharp and successful, he needs to choose wisely and start grooming someone. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, JWR said:

It'll be... interesting to see what moves are made at Lucasfilm in light of Iger admitting that things could have been handled better.

Oh, I think the course correction has already been made at LFL.  All (mostly deserved) jokes aside, why do you think there hasn't been any formal film announcement in nearly two years?  

While the peanut gallery has its hot takes (which I ignore), I think it's coz everyone involved FINALLY learned the lessons about rushing out products without getting all their ducks in a row.

The final lesson they have to learn is: You don't HAVE to release a SW film at Xmas, nor does it have to be a 200m+ epic.  We'll see in due time if those lessons are learned.

(and, yes, I realize that latter bit is controversial with some, but I stand by it 100 percent)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JWR said:

It'll be... interesting to see what moves are made at Lucasfilm in light of Iger admitting that things could have been handled better.

I think they've already been made that they don't rush. Yes, there are Star Wars films in development but they don't have a specific date for them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, excel1 said:

For all of Iger's success, there are some real lessons here with regards to what NOT to do with succession. 

If there is one enormous flaw with Iger's tenure, it's obvious at this point that the lack of no clear, obvious number 2, groomed successor was a big mistake. Everyone hated on Eisner, but he helped Iger learned significantly. Iger firing (if it was really his call) Tom Staggs in 2016 looks to have been a big mistake. There were others too, ala Kevin Mayer, who are no longer with he company and would certainly been better than Chapek. On top of that, Iger basically never left and this is a valid issue for Chapek to take criticism of. Iger HATED Eisner's interference early on in Iger's time as CEO - but he basically takes over the company a few months into Chapek's tenure, and then hovers over top for well after.

Also noteworthy...how did the Disney board get it so wrong with choosing Chapek? The company was so revered that it made sense to promote from within. But how did they settle on that guy over Kevin Mayer? Why did they ditch Tom Staggs? 

Iger deserves some criticism for the horrendous succession planning. He just does. For someone as sharp and successful, he needs to choose wisely and start grooming someone. 

Most of Iger's choices for a replacement left before he stepped down, if I recall.

23 minutes ago, JWR said:

Most of Iger's choices for a replacement left before he stepped down, if I recall.

Yeah Kevin Mayer, who was viewed as most likely to replace Iger left when Chapek was made CEO. Walden is probably the most likely candidate internally as was the case months ago, but 2 years isn't a long time for her to transition, although I would not be shocked at all at Iger staying past the 2 years if anything I might be shocking if he only stays the 2 years.

8 minutes ago, JWR said:

Chapek's second in command just got the boot. 

To be expected DMED will probably revert back to complete studio control, to the pleasure of everyone but Landgraf (who I assume will get others to run the business side of things as he has been on record saying he likes only having to deal with the creative side of things) 

Edit: Yep 

Dear DMED Employees,

As we embark on the transformative work that I mentioned to you in my email last night, I want to begin by offering my sincere appreciation and gratitude to each and every one of you.

Over the coming weeks, we will begin implementing organizational and operating changes within the company. It is my intention to restructure things in a way that honors and respects creativity as the heart and soul of who we are. As you know, this is a time of enormous change and challenges in our industry, and our work will also focus on creating a more efficient and cost-effective structure.

I’ve asked Dana Walden, Alan Bergman, Jimmy Pitaro, and Christine McCarthy to work together on the design of a new structure that puts more decision-making back in the hands of our creative teams and rationalizes costs, and this will necessitate a reorganization of Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution. As a result, Kareem Daniel will be leaving the company, and I hope you will all join me in thanking him for his many years of service to Disney. 

Our goal is to have the new structure in place in the coming months. Without question, elements of DMED will remain, but I fundamentally believe that storytelling is what fuels this company, and it belongs at the center of how we organize our businesses. 

This is a moment of great change and opportunity for our company as we begin our second century, and I am so proud to be leading this team again. I can’t say it enough: I’m incredibly grateful for the tremendous work you do each day, and for your commitment to maintaining the level of excellence Disney has always been known for.

I know change can be unsettling, but it is also necessary and even energizing, and so I ask for your patience as we develop a roadmap for this restructuring. More information will be shared over the coming weeks. Until a new structure is put in place, we will continue to operate under our existing structure. In the meantime, I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, and thank you again for all you do.

Bob

source: https://deadline.com/2022/11/disney-kareem-daniel-exits-bob-iger-distribution-1235179483/

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 1