A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

Iger has made all the right moves so far in his language/letters to Disney employees and his apparent humble return salary.  He sure does give off the impression of doing this because he actually cares about the company.  He's even got a cynical non-lover of Disney content guy like me rolling over with an ALI-G "RESPECT."  ✌️🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Hotter take:  Having a SW movie every year wasn't the problem, it was not letting the filmmakers have enough time to make them.

Iger himself has acknowledged that not listening to Kennedy and others asking for delays in various sequel films led to problems.

Besides, nobody is perfect, everyboy makes mistakes.

Iger took The Mouse to a new level of sucess, made acquitions that have turned out very well for Disney

And made it the dominent power in the industry. Yes, I don't like a lot of what has happened with SW at Disney, but then creative decisons are not Iger's prime responsilbity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InVy said:

I think they've already been made that they don't rush. Yes, there are Star Wars films in development but they don't have a specific date for them.

As long as we have Disney Plus SW shows as good as "The Mandolarian" and "Andor" I will be happy.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

You know what this reminds of is Steve Jobs when he returned to Apple to right the ship.

Or to go back further, when Zanuck returned to 2oth Century Fox in 1962 to save it from bankruptcy. in the wake of the Cleopatra debacle.

Granted, Disney is not in the terrible shape that Fox was when Zanuck took over, but I still think the pararell is a good one. The old gunslinger returns to his company to save it from the incompetence of his replacements.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, Potiki said:

Yeah Kevin Mayer, who was viewed as most likely to replace Iger left when Chapek was made CEO

Iger supposedly had a great relationship with Mayer (and Chapek prior to this for that matter) so wouldn't rule anything out. 

1 hour ago, JWR said:

Chapek's second in command just got the boot. 

1 hour ago, Potiki said:

To be expected DMED will probably revert back to complete studio control, to the pleasure of everyone but Landgraf (who I assume will get others to run the business side of things as he has been on record saying he likes only having to deal with the creative side of things) 

Yeah, this was softed last night:

Felt it was too thin of a rumor to post here, but no surprise at all as you say.

(also the number of people saying to frosty "plz be Kathy Kennedy" was hi-lair-i-ous)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

I hope Igor can fix this mess. in two years Chapek has turned MUST see Disney event films into box office disasters. and you can't blame the pandemic/post pandemic mood anymore because Minions 2 made almost 4x what Lightyear did. 

Seriously Disney has really dug themselves into a hole with their animated films. we have not gotten a $150m+ film since 2019! although Encancto was really the only good movie they released. (in theaters) Luca and Turning Red were really good but they skipped theaters completely. 

I'm not sure if much will change with MCU or Star Wars though because they have different people oversea them. And they aren't really struggling like Disney's main brand anyways. 

When the end came for Chapek, even a Disney-connected source who is not a Chapek fan expressed shock at the way it went down. “He didn’t get to say goodbye or say, ‘I’ve decided to step down,’” this person says. Reminded of reports that Rice had likewise been unceremoniously dismissed following his own brief meeting with Chapek, this person adds, “I bet you it broke Chapek’s record of firing Rice in seven minutes. They called [Chapek] and said, ‘You’re out. Our lawyers will call your lawyers.’ No statement from him, no comment from him, no grace. It’s fucking insane.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/inside-disney-decision-to-rehire-iger-1235267844/

This is delicious. I demand a movie or miniseries about all of this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1