CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

So I just saw this... the scenes involving Kong are awesome. The way they choreograph the fights is  impressive and the movie looks fucking great in IMAX. There's one scene with Kong at night and his eyes are all pearly blue and i was shook. Having said that Tom Hiddleston... my lord. So bad. Larson is barely better. The only characters I enjoyed were Sam L and a couple of his younger soldiers. I've never known a movie have so many irrelevant characters lmao. It's basically just a massive visual effect jerk fest but it serves its purpose as blockbuster popcorn entertainment.

Godzilla remains the superior monster movie doe

TvTdCrh.gif

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's weird because i think jackson's depiction of the villagers is actually worse than the stuff from the '33 film. in that film at least them and the ship crew are all trying to stop kong together at the end, and you see crying native kids and stuff so it gets a little more sympathy. think it's jackson playing to his horror roots. zombie horde vibe to them in his version.

Jackson's horror roots definitely show up occasionally in his King Kong.  Andy Serkis got slowly eaten alive by giant toothy dick worms.

• Like 1

There's always speculation whenever a big R rated movie comes out that tons of teens are gonna buy tickets and sneak in. I have yet to see any empirical or even credible anecdotal evidence to that ever happening on a large-scale. I don't mean that in a snooty way, I seriously am curious if anyone has ever followed up on that. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

There's always speculation whenever a big R rated movie comes out that tons of teens are gonna buy tickets and sneak in. I have yet to see any empirical or even credible anecdotal evidence to that ever happening on a large-scale. I don't mean that in a snooty way, I seriously am curious if anyone has ever followed up on that. 

I remember doing a trade with a couple of teens for (I can't even remember which movies now). Me and the wife were going to watch a PG-13 movie and there were 2 teens looking to watch a R-rated movie, this is back in 2014 I think, so they bought the PG-13 tickets, I bought the R-tickets and we exchanged once we were inside.

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I remember doing a trade with a couple of teens for (I can't even remember which movies now). Me and the wife were going to watch a PG-13 movie and there were 2 teens looking to watch a R-rated movie, this is back in 2014 I think, so they bought the PG-13 tickets, I bought the R-tickets and we exchanged once we were inside.

Oooooooooo i'm telling!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Would be interesting to see about people buying the cheaper 2D ticket and get into the 3D movie, at the same time, I imagine both are marginal.

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Jackson's horror roots definitely show up occasionally in his King Kong.  Andy Serkis got slowly eaten alive by giant toothy dick worms.

The entire insect pit sequence in the 2005 version is pretty horrorish. We see a lot of the crew members killed off in PG-13 but still fairly deadly implied ways. 

I remember reading an article in one of the movie magazines (it was probably Entertainment Weekly, can't be sure) back in 1999 about teens under 17 trying to sneak into R-rated movies. This, of course, was after Columbine and the blaming of The Matrix and other violent media.

4 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

The entire insect pit sequence in the 2005 version is pretty horrorish. We see a lot of the crew members killed off in PG-13 but still fairly deadly implied ways. 

It made my skin crawl.  I'm like that fat guy in The Mummy that repeatedly says "I hate bugs"

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

It made my skin crawl.  I'm like that fat guy in The Mummy that repeatedly says "I hate bugs"

I remember seeing it in the cinemas as a teenager, and when the giant bugs showed up, I was so startled, I jumped a bit off my seat. Definitely not a scene for the faint-hearted.

Edited by Fancyarcher

44 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Respect 

42 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Can't give Jackson all the credit for it, but even this version is pretty intense:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

You bought them booze, didn't you?

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

tumblr_mtnpvnynfy1s0wmudo3_500.gif