CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

1 hour ago, Mikasa Ackerman said:

That's funny actually, literally the only movie I ever feel asleep to in the cinema was Peter Jackson's King Kong.

I've done it twice. Once during The Hobbit, and most recently for Ouija: Origin of Evil (which I thought sucked by the halfway point).

Well I saw it... and I FREAKING LOVED IT!

I don't know if what I say will be considered as spoilers so i'll put it in a tag but i'm not giving anything away just my general thoughts..

Spoiler

First off, yeah, people were right- the characters are sorta one dimensional and the story is pretty predictable but honestly that doesn't hurt the movie in my opinion. The characters for me were fine and just there to push the plot along. The story was a bit bland but the great action sequences more than made up for it.

The action was incredible, so many great scenes that were just pure fun. The effects and visuals were stunning and it's the first time in a looong time I have seen a big blockbuster be so interesting visually.

The movie knows what it is. It's a big loud dumb action flick and at times it cleverly address it's flaws like it knows what the audiences are thinking. It's very clever.

The monsters were all great and kinda terrifying. Some scenes shocked me to the point where I thought the movie was lucky to get away with the PG-13 rating.

Kong was great as a character. Perfect amount of screen time. His CGI also blew me away.

John C. Reilly was a stand out, very funny and charismatic. I also loved the soldiers, they were almost better than the leading crew.

Overall, I loved the movie. I went into this with my expectations low and my brain off. That's the best way to see this film. It's not an Oscar winning screenplay and the performances aren't the best thing ever but for what the movie is trying to be, it works.. and it works well.

Easily the best monster movie I have seen. If I had to put a number on it i'd say an 8/10

• Like 10

*tempted to post 1000 times hotter red carpet photos of Tian Jing but Imma let you leave unscalped for now* tumblr_np1k4eyu6u1tr6pz0o1_250.gif

Anyways, I've seen the movie this past week, and while the action sequences were super impressive, all the lead actors were super wooden with corny one-liners (except for Samuel). Can't give it higher than 6/10

Had a good time watching this. 

Great visuals and a straightforward story made 2 hours go by fast and easy. 

3/4

P.S. the end credits scene is legit!!!

Btw I was at an IMAX screening and among the few dozens people there it seemed like I was the only person less than 25 years old...lots of middle-aged viewers indeed. 

Plus people clapped at the end!! Guess WOM will be good, especially with the finale. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, somebody85 said:

Hahaha I've always thought that the "Disney paying certain critics off" theory is crazy but it is odd how big a difference the reviews from RT are compared to the top YouTube guys.

Dunno if I can recall another example. RT is rating this in the same range as JW which is what I expected. 

Granted I haven't seen the film yet so I could very well be majorly letdown (probably tomm or Friday) but I hope to fall into the positive side. Just want dumb fun.

Disclaimer: I still don't believe that theory either.

Your YouTube reviews tend to be the same demographic with similar interest and tastes.  They all tend to agree with each, most of the time, more or less.

And forgot to mention this..the IMAX screening had a Kong-style coundown before the film started!!!

The countdown started with a "Kong is King (or was it Kong is Coming?)" message, then the background for the entire countdown was the Skull Island horizon complete with roars and jungle noises.

Really contributed to the theater experience!!!! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

just a 6.6/10 avg score, hardly a huge endorsement

Doesn't matter. Certified Fresh is all it needs. Now it can be slapped on every single poster, Blu-Ray cover, DVD cover like they do with almost all movies nowadays. It also seems like the average rating is getting better and better, 6.7/10 now.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

6.7/10 is higher endorsement than expected. It's overperforming critically. 

Agreed. I was expecting it to fight to stay fresh, not for it to be over 80% fresh this far and with a 6.7. It's pretty good.

• Like 1

So, this was ... ok-ish ?

Director has a great visual flair, ILM had a blast with water simulations, monsters designs are great & well ...

I dunno, it seemed to me that nothing really gelled as a movie.

Spoiler

Characters and their backstories were a bit blah, Camembert s part was awful, poor girl has 10 lines, takes 5 000 pictures & then she has only reaction shots.

After the brutal first encounter with Kong on the island, the survivors are divided in 3 teams and then Kong shows up where he needs to because the writers said so but he takes the backseat in the middlde of the movie, each team encounters different monsters, the Gorgonzola/Loki team meets the natives and then it ends with the final boss of the island in a BIG Fight where Kong shows who s boss.

Best character was easily John C Reilly, fun but with a big heart.

Samuel L Jackson Jacksons (yes it s a verb).

The soldiers were decent for the most part.

Hiddleston tries hard to channel his inner Indy but it s not really working IMO...

Like Peter Jackson s version, you can feel the director would have not said no to an R Rating to put some more real gory shots.

Some deaths were funnily gruesome.

The set pieces are really great & spectacular & creative, by far the best part of the movie.

Score was bleh.

The Chinese character in this was absolutely riveting, fantastic writing and performance.

As a whole I thought the emotionnal beats or expected Kong moments ( Kong saves the girl for example) didn't work a lot because they were not earned, I dunno how to explain it.

Visually, not sure also about this hard-on for yellows and oranges but it gave the movie a style I guess.

So a mixed bag, but worth the price of admission for the spectacle & THE MONSTERS.

Also, see the movie for its fantastic soundtrack which is as visionary and subtle as it was in David Ayer's Suicide Squad.

Spoiler

Basic Spotify Playlists, Please Die A Slow And Painful Death.

:ohmyzod:

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

So, this was ... ok-ish ?

Director has a great visual flair, ILM had a blast with water simulations, monsters designs are great & well ...

I dunno, it seemed to me that nothing really gelled as a movie.

Hide contents

Characters and their backstories were a bit blah, Camembert s part was awful, poor girl has 10 lines, takes 5 000 pictures & then she has only reaction shots.

After the brutal first encounter with Kong on the island, the survivors are divided in 3 teams and then Kong shows up where he needs to because the writers said so but he takes the backseat in the middlde of the movie, each team encounters different monsters, the Gorgonzola/Loki team meets the natives and then it ends with the final boss of the island in a BIG Fight where Kong shows who s boss.

Best character was easily John C Reilly, fun but with a big heart.

Samuel L Jackson Jacksons (yes it s a verb).

The soldiers were decent for the most part.

Hiddleston tries hard to channel his inner Indy but it s not really working IMO...

Like Peter Jackson s version, you can feel the director would have not said no to an R Rating to put some more real gory shots.

Some deaths were funnily gruesome.

The set pieces are really great & spectacular & creative, by far the best part of the movie.

Score was bleh.

The Chinese character in this was absolutely riveting, fantastic writing and performance.

As a whole I thought the emotionnal beats or expected Kong moments ( Kong saves the girl for example) didn't work a lot because they were not earned, I dunno how to explain it.

Visually, not sure also about this hard-on for yellows and oranges but it gave the movie a style I guess.

So a mixed bag, but worth the price of admission for the spectacle & THE MONSTERS.

Also, see the movie for its fantastic soundtrack which is as visionary and subtle as it was in David Ayer's Suicide Squad.

Hide contents

Basic Spotify Playlists, Please Die A Slow And Painful Death.

:ohmyzod:

Great report! :bravo:

This movie was glorious. An insane fun ride with tremendous CGI, good acting and a solid story. 

Also, stick around for a cool after credits scene :) 

• Like 19

The Internet noticed that when Brie presented Casey with the award, she stood with her arms by her side while he was given a standing ovation by the crowd.

“I think that whatever it was that I did onstage kind of spoke for itself,” Brie said to Vanity Fair. “I’ve said all that I need to say about that topic.”

Guess who is not joining the MCU.

Just now, Krissykins said:

$3.3 from first days in a few international territories as per Deadline.

That Barca-PSG match really hurt Kong in France. That was an historic match. I wouldn't be surprised if people cancelled their tickets as the match progressed.

• Like 1