CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Looks like a finish above Godzilla WW will happen, it has about another 15-20M to come from domestic alone and probably 10M or more from China.

More like 15-18 mill from China, 15 mill from Japan and 15-18 mill DOM.. 

550 mill WW looks very possible

Edited by fmpro

I finally saw this at a matinee showing a few days back. I'm glad to say that the movie surprised me and changed my mind about it. 

Prior to release my two biggest issues based on trailers were that Kong is too big and that the John C Reilly character was going to be annoyingly "funny".

Grade: B+

I like that there is the set up for an explanation on these giant creatures without actually, as yet, explaining why they still exist. 

Enjoyed seeing several other giant creatures including at least two nonaggression "monsters". The Triceration skull was fascinating and maybe one day we get one.

I did an entire 180 on the John C Reilly character, he was the character I felt the strongest about to the point of thinking "he better get off that island and back home".

I'm glad a friend had seen it prior to me and let me know to stay after the credits. That was an important stinger moment for the film to lead into Kong v Godzilla among other revelations in that 30 second clip. 

I swear to the old gods and the new, if I ever see someone brag that Skull Island is the number one film of all time is Vietnam I'm going to lose it. Like who cares?

Having said that, Kong has performed admirably in recent weeks. I kinda was wrong but do remember, the budget was a nice chunk bigger than Godzilla 2014.

5 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

I did an entire 180 on the John C Reilly character, he was the character I felt the strongest about to the point of thinking "he better get off that island and back home".

I thought for sure that

Spoiler

he would be killed off, which would just have been so cruel

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, THE PHENOMENAL BKB said:

I still haven't seen this yet, but it does beg the question as to what KONG eats to sustain his size?? :thinking:

Kong doesn't have evacuation organs.

He doesn't need to eat or drink.

6 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

I swear to the old gods and the new, if I ever see someone brag that Skull Island is the number one film of all time is Vietnam I'm going to lose it. Like who cares?

So what? I've never seen anyone in my life get more bent out of shape over stuff than you.

• Like 1

I just saw kong and wow what an awesome movie. The last fight was awesome but didnt comes close to the kong vs. Trex fight from the pj movie. But it has a much better ending :D

9/10

• Like 3

We went to see this yesterday and I'm so glad we did. It really delivered monstrous fun and plenty of thrill. The effects were truly incredible. There was no point at which I felt that Kong or the other monsters looked fake or obviously like cgi. Much of the action takes place in daylight and the cinematography allowed the audience see exactly what was happening. After the latest Godzilla that was a relief. The action was so intense that at times I found myself in shock. Outstanding job by Vogt-Roberts.

The human characters were given just enough development that I cared a liitle when they started getting picked off by various monstrous creatures. Landsat got the worst of it. :lol: Any publicity is good publicity, I guess. It's ridiculous that Kong is still being played as a fool for blondes after 80 damn years, though. They could have had him do his half-assed bonding with Hiddleston, instead. Even damn dirty apes are hot for that guy. ?

• Like 3

When Kong was tracking for mid 40s ow, I was hoping for 55 ow / 140+ dom.

After the 61.25 ow I thought dom would be 150-155 and the movie wouldn't show very good legs.

Now that it's looking at a 2.8x multiplier proves that in some ways quality and wom is the best "marketing".

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

After the 61.25 ow I thought dom would be 150-155 and the movie wouldn't show very good legs.

Now that it's looking at a 2.8x multiplier proves that in some ways quality and wom is the best "marketing".

The final marketing push cannot be neglected though. WB did everything right in the last week and a half leading up to release. Their marketing team can definitely pull off great stuff.

• Like 12

18 hours ago, a2knet said:

I didn't think kong would have as good legs as its having right now. I bet next weekend it will pass power rangers.

• Like 1