CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

my new favourite chris stuckmann thing is he showed this picture of him on his GET OUT review to prove he was qualified to talk about it i guess? people actually take this goof seriously.

DbKNqxd.jpg?1

I don't see him showing that pic as him being anything other than innocently naive.

• Like 2

‘Kong: Skull Island’ Hopes To Leave Huge Footprint At Global B.O. In Face Of ‘Logan’s Wrath

Kong‘s projected global grasp in weekend one? $110M-$135M. Here’s how that breaks down:

In the states, the film arrived on tracking in the $40M-range four weeks ago, lower than Logan‘s initial projections ($70M) and Beauty And The Beast‘s ($110M+). However, there’s a notion that since Kong is sandwiched between those two movies on the calendar, that’s been the pin in his side when it comes to squished forecasts. The Jordan Vogt-Roberts-directed movie is now looking at $45M-$50M at 3,500 locations with all the strength from Imax and 3D. On the plus side for Kong, and this should work in its favor in regards to foot traffic, is that reviews are at 81% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. That’s better than the reviews earned by Warner Bros/Village Roadshow’s Hollywood classic reboot The Legend Of Tarzan (36% Rotten), which cost about as much as Kong at $180M (before P&A) and opened to $46.6M over four days with a domestic end of $126.6M and worldwide of $356.7M.

There’s a faction of trackers out there who believe 20th Century Fox’s Logangiven its momentum (it’s up to $104M through five days), might have a shot of holding on to No. 1; that is if Kong comes in at the low-end, and Logan falls 45% to $48M. Previews for Kong start Thursday at 7 PM.

(cut)

This week’s foreign territories include an opening in France today as well as Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Russia, Korea, Brazil, Mexico, and Australia this weekend. China goes March 24 and Japan bows March 25. We’re already hearing that there’s strong business out of Paris. There are no other major wide openers this frame offshore with the main competition being the holdover of last week’s beast Logan. International opening estimates are pegged at $65M-$85M for this ensemble that includes Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, Oscar winner Brie Larson, John Goodman and John C. Reilly. Some think it could inch up closer to $100M, although that’s at the high-end.

Bearing in mind the currency swings in the past few years, King Kong minted more than $332M abroad, opening to $83M in a December bow (the UK, France and Korea led markets); and 2014’s Godzilla debuted to $103M abroad and finaled at $328.4M overseas led by China, Japan and the UK.

Other offshore comp titles are 2013’s Pacific Rim which made about 36% of its full $309M overseas gross in China with Russia and Korea also big fans; that same year’s World War Z, which had a staggered release and ended at $338M IBO was topped by Korea, Russia and Mexico; and Legend Of Tarzan saw China swing up 20% of the full $230M IBO, followed by Mexico and the UK.

Word of mouth is strong in foreign markets on Kong and the cast of acclaimed and popular actors also props it. Talent traveled to London for a Leicester Square premiere and junket; they also hit a Mexico City premiere and a Latin American junket. Coming up is an event premiere in Vietnam where the film was partially shot. A big Japan premiere and junket are still on deck.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

my new favourite chris stuckmann thing is he showed this picture of him on his GET OUT review to prove he was qualified to talk about it i guess? people actually take this goof seriously.

DbKNqxd.jpg?1

GAH!

Anyway, I guess there's a debate to be had about the worth of Youtube/fan-culture reviewers. I'm still not on board, for the same reason I'd rather read a breaking news story in the Washington Post rather than bipartisanreport or some shit. But even beyond that, dude's not even a good Youtube reviewer. He's bad at this! He's never made one interesting point in anything I've seen. "I think this movie benefitted from strong action scenes, but it could have had better dialogue." Real groundbreaking critical analysis there. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

DbKNqxd.jpg?1

lol this was hilarious. Ever since then I don't take this guy seriously lmao 

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

GAH!

Anyway, I guess there's a debate to be had about the worth of Youtube/fan-culture reviewers. I'm still not on board, for the same reason I'd rather read a breaking news story in the Washington Post rather than bipartisanreport or some shit. But even beyond that, dude's not even a good Youtube reviewer. He's bad at this! He's never made one interesting point in anything I've seen. "I think this movie benefitted from strong action scenes, but it could have had better dialogue." Real groundbreaking critical analysis there. 

I don't even need critical analysis really, just make me laugh or say something interesting. Every time I open one it's some dude reading what sounds like a cringey forum post and it gets 100k views and a bunch of sycophantic praise in the comments

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 11

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I don't even need critical analysis really, just make me laugh or say something interesting. Every time I open one it's some dude reading what sounds like a cringey forum post and it gets 100k views and a bunch of sycophantic praise in the comments

Okay. So basically we should get in the business of Youtube reviews. Setting up my camera to read out loud Ethan's review of La La Land.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lavochkin said:

Well, Kong has been certified fresh at 80% after 81 reviews (6.5/10 avg).

I doubt it'll drop below 70% so it should stay certified :kitschjob:

Yeah, it is staying certified. I certainly wasn't expecting that.

Sounds to me like we have a bunch of jealous morons on this thread. The usual dolts like Chewy/Coolio hating on a guy who reviews movies. No different that anyone else on her who watches movies and reviews them in the RTM thread.

Seriously, get over yourself. You sound like a bunch of jealous biyas.

• Like 2