LexJoker

The Supposed Monday Thread 5/19/2014 Godzilla 7.66

The movie showed Godzilla in brief snippets in the opening credits then focused on the MUTOs for about an hour before Godzilla is finally even mentioned the first time

Godzilla

is mentioned in the first scene with Watanabe, is described 45 minutes into the movie and the last hour switches between focusing on him and the MUTOs.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

Godzilla not being on screen doesn't mean he's not there. If the T-Rex or shark wasn't on screen through the whole film does that mean they aren't part of the story till the end? I swear people don't understand off screen presence.In the old Godzillas throughout the first half of most films he's mostly not there, does that mean the film doesn't revolve around Godzilla (On a side note, watched Godzilla versus King Ghidorah and Godzilla doesn't even show himself till the end of the film to kick Ghiorah's ass, it was mostly Rodan and Mothra).

I don't feel it worked anywhere close to how it did in Jaws or JP

Godzilla not being on screen doesn't mean he's not there. If the T-Rex or shark wasn't on screen through the whole film does that mean they aren't part of the story till the end? I swear people don't understand off screen presence.

In the old Godzillas throughout the first half of most films he's mostly not there, does that mean the film doesn't revolve around Godzilla? 

In fact, the first portion

is a misdirect... the expectation is that Godzilla is the MUTO. When it's revealed to be something else entirely, that's clever.

• Like 9

We've incepted ourselves, E. Between us, that quoted chunk is a hot mess. Let's start fresh. :)

lmao i'm on the train and trying to type on thar bootleg tablet you recommended. I'll check back later.

I'll reiterate that IMO the only thing keeping this from being a modern classic in every sense of the word are the thin characters. So yes, of course they knock the overall rating down a bit. But so much of the film was so well done and so well put together. "Majestic" is a good word for it.

I couldn't agree more and share the exact sentiment. It just shows how important well-developed characters are to help ground this kind of story. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager

I don't feel it worked anywhere close to how it did in Jaws or JP

Which I guess is a valid criticism if that's the standard you hold to every single monster film made from now on. Which, let me tell you, is such a high standard that you'll likely never enjoy another similar monster movie again.

So you win?

• Like 1

I'm curious. Why?

You messed up the edit on my post tele :lol:

So I said

the cuts were mostly fine when we understand the human approach, and it would've diminished the last big fight a bit with redundancy if we had bunch of fights. I was practically begging for Godzilla by the end fight, and I was satisfied with his sheer awesomeness against Muto.I really liked the Honolulu cut. It was a clear statement on where they were going for, and the reveal was really awesome so I was satisfied with it.The next cut when the shelter door closes was a bit too much for me in a sense that I was really eager to see Godzilla in action by now. I liked the way it was shot with the door closing because again it followed their approach. But I also really wanted to see perhaps a little bit of action there just to pump me more for the final fight.However, I personally think Serizawa was way underutilized, so if he had a bigger role, then I would've been completely fine with the second cut too.

Edited by bballman24
  • Like 2

Which I guess is a valid criticism if that's the standard you hold to every single monster film made from now on. Which, let me tell you, is such a high standard that you'll likely never enjoy another similar monster movie again.So you win?

No, it's just people bring up those two movies constantly saying that Godzilla was trying to do what those didI have no problem enjoying Godzilla on its own merits but I feel overall a lot didn't work

• Community Manager

No, it's just people bring up those two movies constantly saying that Godzilla was trying to do what those didI have no problem enjoying Godzilla on its own merits but I feel overall a lot didn't work

Yes because that's what Godzilla was trying to do. Nobody is trying to argue that it did it as well.

• Like 2

The movie

showed Godzilla in brief snippets in the opening credits then focused on the MUTOs for about an hour before Godzilla is finally even mentioned the first time

It's called introducing the character.

• Like 1