LexJoker

The Supposed Monday Thread 5/19/2014 Godzilla 7.66

• Community Manager

Should we take this outside?

Hey, this is an issue Spielberg faces with most of his movies: they are expertly crafted but it's hard to pin-point a Spielberg visual style. Of the iconic directors, he's the vanilla of execution. It's very popular, it works, but it's not exciting.

I think seeing Tele defending Godzilla is the biggest shock I have seen since joining this forum.  He makes his points eloquently as always (well deserved like magnet), but when I read them they just make me smile and shake my head in disbelief.

I can't write half as well as Tele, but I'll give it my best try:

Warning do NOT open this spoiler if you have not watched the movie!

I will say again that the marketing for the movie was awesome (misleading, but masterfully done).The move just drags on which is due mainly to to dreadful acting, but also because we never get to see Godzilla in any action (or much of any) until the end of the movie which saves the movie from being an entire waste for me.The cut away scenes showing Godzilla fighting the mutos were totally unacceptable to me and frankly makes it look like they ran out of budget money to properly show Godzilla in action.I just felt like everytime the movie was about to ramp up they would shove more bad acting and cheesy tv cutaways in instead.And to compare this movie to the likes of Jaws, Jurassic Park, or Aliens is so unfair to those movies as they are on an entirely different level.I'm glad so many people do like the movie though and I will be the first one in line again for the next one as I have been and always will be a die-hard Godzilla fan.

• Like 2

You have a lot of posts to catch up on

actually even though it may seem that way, I don't hate Godzilla, it was overall an entertaining film but kind of disappointing based on what the filmmakers were saying and the trailers. 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

The characters. Give me a character who changed at all besides Hammond in JP. Annoying kids. Walking cliches ((Ray Arnold, Nedry, Dodgson, Muldoon)).

of all the potentially pluses gz might have over jp, characters is not one of them. not the same ball park, not even the same sport  ^_^

• Like 1

• Community Manager

of all the potentially pluses gz might have over jp, characters is not one of them. not the same ball park, not even the same sport  ^_^

I think Mulder isn't arguing GZ has better characters than JP but that both had equally weak characters.

• Like 1

I think Mulder isn't arguing GZ has better characters than JP but that both had equally weak characters.

LMAO Godzilla got Water Bottle out of hibernation. You hardly post in the movie threads.

• Like 7

• Community Manager

LMAO Godzilla got Water Bottle out of hibernation. You hardly post in the movie threads.

I made like 5 posts in the Star Wars thread like a few months back.

<_<

• Like 4

I would say no, the characters in JP held my attention during the non dinosaur scenes while I found most of the characters in Godzilla boring and uninteresting. Especially the lead character, who we spend a lot of time with. The only character I found myself liking was Bryan Cranston's character. 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

I would say no, the characters in JP held my attention during the non dinosaur scenes while I found most of the characters in Godzilla boring and uninteresting. Especially the lead character, who we spend a lot of time with. The only character I found myself liking was Bryan Cranston's character. 

That's subjective though. 

• Like 1

k. imo characters in jp were amazing. grant, malcom, satller, hammond, newman...and their chemistry...was brilliant.

they spared no expense.

• Like 2

I think seeing Tele defending Godzilla is the biggest shock I have seen since joining this forum.  He makes his points eloquently as always (well deserved like magnet), but when I read them they just make me smile and shake my head in disbelief.

I can't write half as well as Tele, but I'll give it my best try:

Warning do NOT open this spoiler if you have not watched the movie!

I will say again that the marketing for the movie was awesome (misleading, but masterfully done).The move just drags on which is due mainly to to dreadful acting, but also because we never get to see Godzilla in any action (or much of any) until the end of the movie which saves the movie from being an entire waste for me.The cut away scenes showing Godzilla fighting the mutos were totally unacceptable to me and frankly makes it look like they ran out of budget money to properly show Godzilla in action.I just felt like everytime the movie was about to ramp up they would shove more bad acting and cheesy tv cutaways in instead.And to compare this movie to the likes of Jaws, Jurassic Park, or Aliens is so unfair to those movies as they are on an entirely different level.I'm glad so many people do like the movie though and I will be the first one in line again for the next one as I have been and always will be a die-hard Godzilla fan.

I understood it. Good job. Tele's a smart guy. But let's keep the praises to a minimum. We don't want it to go this head.

• Like 5