Olive

Weekend #'s FIOS: 48.2, EOT: 29.1

Maybe Americans just have bad tastes

Maybe not necessarily bad taste, but if it isn't a superhero movie (or the occasional reboot) it's going to have a hell of a hard time finding an audience. I hate to say it but I guess "originality" is dead. 

Bad Saturday in general it seems. So I think EOT jumping 20% from its Friday (without previews) is a good thing. 

Christ, Fault cratered. Down -27% from Friday w/o previews. 

Drunk box office reporting. Woo hoo.

• Like 2

I meant in the way of an orginal sci fi that captures the attention of the public to previously unprecedented levels

Avatar hasn't stuck to pop culture in anything approaching the levels Star Wars has. Not even close. The only lasting thing that Avatar has stuck us with is 3D on every damn movie.

• Like 1

I... haven't really seen him push that.

He's been on his Star Wars tirade recently, so I doubt he'll compare Guardians to it

If he had written that Pac Rim review today, he never would've compared it to Star Wars in any sort of positive way. Which makes it even more hilarious

The whole paragraph is worth quoting

If that was all Pacific Rim offered it would stand as a Star Wars for a new generation. But it has more than that. It’s the rare modern blockbuster that does big scale action correctly. Every punch has momentum, every impact has weight, every step of the Jaegers and the kaiju is felt. The action, while often taking place at night, is clear and understandable. The stakes are always palpable and high, and the action is constantly thrilling. There are a number of enormous set pieces with one - a kaiju attack on Hong Kong - being one of the greatest action sequences of this century, not only in terms of visceral thrill but also storytelling quality. During my second viewing of the movie I sat behind a boy who looked to be about eight or nine, and he was involuntarily fist pumping during the entire scene.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

The last couple of weeks it has been pretty good but overall it was pretty "meh". Like this movie was clearly an afterthought for them after Godzilla. I also wouldn't say the marketing was necessarily bad it just didn't sell the movie very well.

I don't think so at all. Obviously GODZILLA got the first heavy push because it was their first release out of the gate. But I thought they did a good job with the trailers and setting up the concept to begin with, and it got a hard push as soon as GODZILLA was done and especially after the other immediate big releases. How else would you have marketed it?
  • Like 1

Marketing campaign that didn't stand out, 3 big openers targeting the same demo over the past 5 weeks, and bad taste left from Oblivion meant the movie wasn't gonna be big. No matter how good it was

• Like 3

The last couple of weeks it has been pretty good but overall it was pretty "meh". Like this movie was clearly an afterthought for them after Godzilla. I also wouldn't say the marketing was necessarily bad it just didn't sell the movie very well. 

To be fair, Legendary did Godzilla's marketing and didn't spend much on it according to Thomas Tull. They used a new marketing program which is state-of-the-art.

Atrocious drop for fault. Considering CF and Divergent increased saturday minus previews this appears to play more to niche audience(book fans?).

EOT is behaving in line with expectations. I think having a young star instead of Cruise might have helped. Plus marketing was just bad.

Mal is probably this weekend winner considering its drop despite fault. DOFP is not catching any break :-(

The only comparable drop for FIOS is Harry Potter DH2 which dropped 53%. Could FIOS miss 100m?

That'd be depressing legs but at this point anything else TFIOS makes is just gravy.

Really, it's not a war but an observation.. GODZILLA despite falling big is sort of evening out now while X-MEN continues to tumble and you can't ignore this fact regardless if you feel the movie is great or not.. The General Audience is simply not embracing the movie like the fans are..

For the love of god.Godzilla is finished, be done with it.

I thought it was perfect.

haha, I was on my way out and heard this start to bump…I was like alright, kind of smiled, thought that's kind of funny.  But, if you don't know the lyrics I think you'd be like WTF?? ha