Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

Is there any history of when 2 big budget, mainstream animated or kids/Disney movies are released in the same summer that the one with a 50% score on RT does better domestically than the one with a 92% score on RT?  I know Mal is not animated, but since it is Disney I am placing it alongside the animated movies.  If Mal ends up around 210 or 220 domestic, and Dragon does not beat it with the huge difference in RT and Flixster scores, I think that would be shocking.

They are just too different films. Maleficent appeals to a more adult-feminine public and the story and the actress are also very strong selling points. Although, Dragon 2 is the direct sequel of a bery highly praised film, so it could've gone either way, I guess.

Still, one of the saddest things about Dragon's dissapointment is that is seems like you can't open a kids movie well when you try to take them seriously. We've seen it in the less straight-up comedic tone for Epic, ROTG, and now this, and frankly, that's kind of sad.

all films you mentioned, including Dragons2, didn't look interesting at all. 

I'm so happy that next weekend is the first weekend this summer that doesn't have big competition coming out. The holdovers really need a break.

EoT and HTTYD 2 really needs a sub 40% drop, which IMO should happen. I'm predicting 31% drop for HTTYD 2 and 35% drop for EoT.

EoT and HTTYD 2 really needs a sub 40% drop, which IMO should happen. I'm predicting 31% drop for HTTYD 2 and 35% drop for EoT.

At this point, despite being a huge How To Train Your Dragon fan, I'd want those drops to be reversed. Movies like Edge of Tomorrow really need a second chance, and a good box office performance would probably give them that chance.