kayumanggi

MI4/SH2 midnights thread and Thurs #'s

Was it really boosted by six minutes of movie? The prologue was playing at 70 out of 425 theaters. At that point I feel like many who were desperate to see the prologue caught a preview show earlier this week.

I mostly agree with this, but the non-70mm showings had the new trailer as well. That wasn't available earlier this week.

Variety's predicts for the weekend:

Early B.O.: 'Sherlock Holmes' on track to win in $40s

'Mission: Impossible' large-format-only bow tracking to impressive $11m

By RACHEL ABRAMS

Box office pundits are projecting Warner Bros.' "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" to gross between $14 million and $15 million in the U.S. on Friday, putting it on track to win the weekend with a three-day total in the low-to-mid $40 million range.

The Friday take alone could pop with evening auds, especially because it's the last schoolday before holiday break for many families.

Meanwhile, 20th Century Fox toon "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked" will likely rank second, with observers putting the family film's Friday take at around $10 million, putting it on course for a $30 million three-day gross. More reserved estimations, however, peg the pic's weekend take slightly lower.

Par's "Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol" is also opening today -- but exclusively on large-format screens (425 of them, most of which are IMAX) a week before its wide release. Though box office observers stress the difficulty in predicting this first-ever large-format-only release, the Tom Cruise pic was on pace to earn an impressive $11 million-plus for the weekend, perhaps in part because a seven-minute prologue to "The Dark Knight Rises" will play in front of it.

B.O. watchers estimate that Par holdover "Young Adult" will earn shy of $3 million for the weekend, while WB's holdover "New Year's Eve" is looking to take in around $7 million, at most, pushing it over $20 million gross for two weekends. Fox's "The Sitter" is poised to earn under $5 million.

Under $50m for SH would be...unimpressive, I think.

Was it really boosted by six minutes of movie? The prologue was playing at 70 out of 425 theaters. At that point I feel like many who were desperate to see the prologue caught a preview show earlier this week.

Many, many people didn't get a chance to see the preview show that wanted to. First, it was only at 36 theaters. Second, most of the tickets went by fast. Third, many people didn't know they had a Tuesday sneak preview.