Dementeleus

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Michael I'm sorry, I liked The Rock, The Island, Bad Boys, Transformers and I can even watch the Transformer sequels but this was really bad.

There are so many subplots in this movie that just distract from the movie and only serve to increase its running time. Bay seriously needs a good editor because there was about 30 minutes of this movie that could have been cut and it not only wouldn't have affected the plot, it would have made the movie better. In the last 30 minutes of the movie I could barely care about what was happening, it was just one big action scene that didn't feel exciting, it felt tedious. Also there was so much obvious product placement that it felt at times like a commercial, why does a movie series that makes this much money need that much product placement?

There were some good parts, ideas that could have worked it they had been properly used, instead they were shoved into the movie as subplots and weren't given enough time. Wahlberg and Grammer were also good, they managed to stand out amongst a cast that was mostly forgettable, largely due to lack of character development. The first 20 minutes was able to establish some good character development for Wahlberg's character and his family but after that the movie just became a collection of action scenes.

Overall it was a below average blockbuster, good for one watch if you have nothing to do but you'll probably really feel the running time and you probably won't want to watch it again unless you really like Transformers.

Edited by Caesar
  • Like 5

In conclusion, this was a 5/10 for me. Probably even less, depending on my mood. It's just that the first three films had more tension, and higher stakes leading to their finales.In TF3, Sentinel Prime and Megatron meet, interact, and actually manage to wreak absolute havoc on Chicago and start unleashing Cybertton.In TF4, Lockdown and Galvatron do not interact at all...Galvatron's search to secure the Seed kicks off the third act, but he absolutely disappears from battling in the finale. The finale just seemed very underwhelming and stale with a Galvatron-controlled nameless robot army, a battle with Lockdown (who just conveniently returns from the second act with barely any motives relating to what kicked off the finale in the first place), and the Dinobots who are introduced out of nowhere, get no individual names at all (IIRC), and aren't on screen long enough to justify the movie's bloated running time.The film had the potential to much better, IMO, if they cut down on subplots, made Lockdown and his motives a bigger focus, actually gave the Dinobots hints of characterization, and decreased the blatant sequel hooks.Lockdown talks a lot about "the Creators" existing, but we only get obvious sequel set-up.Galvatron just barks some orders in the finale then reappears after the final battle talking how this isn't over, yadda yadda yadda. Sequel hook...Of course, the cgi is excellent, and I liked Mark Whalberg in his role.However, for the "Age of Extinction," it doesn't really make full use of planet-threatening stakes, and if it was aiming for a smaller scope, the first one was much better than this, IMO.

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Like 1

Surprisingly I enjoyed this film and quite a lot, more than I had any right to in my opinion. It's right up there with the original as my favorite of the series. The main problems with is was the long running time and there being one climax too many but despite that it still managed to captivate my attention for most of it's 160 minutes. At it's core TF4 is a humane story of betrayal, and loyalty and trust overcoming the adversities that it poses. Admist all the destruction and fireworks I was able to connect with the characters, especially with optimus, on a more intimate level than with previous series. It is by no means a masterpiece of storytelling but Transformers isn't really the movie to watch for those looking for that kind of thing anyway. It is a summer blockbuster film with decent enough plot and good acting and overall it manages to deliver. Rating: solid B+

• Like 2

...sigh...just got back from a 9pm 3d digital imax show and holy shit that was soooo much worse than I could have ever imagined. I like the first one quite a bit, and 2 and 3 are still fun and enjoyable, but my god was this terrible.I'm tired and have to get up for work in 6 hours but my best summary is Michael Bay went full retard. The script and dialogue are so atrocious the action and sfx can't make up for it. I don't have the will to write a full review at the moment but perhaps I'll expand tomorrow. And in case some doubt I saw it (from my lack of details) some of the worst parts (other than ALL the dialogue which is horrible) are rally car lucky charms out the window and down the ramp, flying fucking atm card, slow mo everywhere!! Running, fist pound, all the fights, etc, etc, stupid john goodman fatbot with dumb jokes...ugh I just don't want to think about it anymore.D-(It's probably an F really, but I still find the sfx of the robots cool, the dinobots were pretty cool and Bay filming so much of it with digital 3d imax cameras paid off as the 3d was good and the movie looked good)

Edited by FTF
  • Like 5

Just got back from the 9 PM 3D showing. Despite all the negative reviews, I absolutely loved this one and it's tied with TF3 as being my second favorite in the series, behind TF1.

I actually thought this one was a lot more reserved than TF2 and TF3 in terms of setting up the characters before launching into the action, as we get about twenty minutes of seeing Wahlberg's character go through his daily routine.

As for the rest of the movie, it's what you would expect from a Bayformers movie, and that's fine by me. The action was the best I've seen in the series so far, and the 3D actually looked damn good, especially during the final battle with shards and fragments of metal flying across my vision.

I know it's a Michael Bay film and it's not cool to like his movies, but he kept me entertained for three hours, so I applaud him for that, although he could have trimmed the length down by about thirty minutes.

TF1 is miles better than any in the series. It has great rewatchability. TF2 is utter shit and should have an R-rating. It is very inappropriate for a movie aimed at kids.

TF3 and TF4 are tied for me. TF3 has the epicness to it, but at the same time, I find that film to be super dark for a TF film. TF4 goes back to the lightheartedness, but is a bore at times. There was some good human element in this though that was lacking in the other TF films, so that makes it a tie with TF3 for me.

Anyone else think we are getting Unicron soon. I was almost expecting to see him appear at the very end. I'm guessing we will at least see him in TF5 and maybe TF6 will be where we get a battle against him. I can see them building up to Unicron now though.

• Like 1