BobbyJohn

By The Sea | Angelina Jolie/Brad Pitt (Nov 13)

1 hour ago, moviesRus said:

Yeah, sadly I think this is clearly Serena 2.0. Despite the big stars, it's probably very not audience friendly and also not good. 

I thought the budget was much lower considering the tone, subject matter and the release pattern.  But it looks like the only difference between it and the $30m Serena is that Serena couldn't find a distributor in the first place.

Well, Brad and Angelina are considering bigger than even JLaw and BCoop and their fanbase is obviously going to be much older and more likely to shell out money for a slow/depressing relationship drama. But even then, it sounds like they can't even feel confident in getting that audience to turn up.

The spin on this is incredible: http://deadline.com/2015/10/by-the-sea-release-angelina-jolie-brad-pitt-marketing-strategy-trailer-1201594176/

So you gotta ask: What is going on with By The Sea? And why would a marketing-savvy studio like Universal not exploit the presence of two of the few stars who are proven draws?

According to the studio and Jolie’s camp, it’s all by design, a subtle way to deliver a film that is more personal than commercial. However, sources say that at the center of it all is Jolie, a writer-producer-director-star who has ideas of her own and is in involved in every detail of the film’s launch of what is clearly a personal pet project. By allowing the film to go to market in modest fashion as Jolie wishes, they say, Universal is protecting its future relationship with a star who built a strong relationship with film chairman Donna Langley from when the star directed the Louis Zamperini drama Unbroken.

So when a trailer cut by Universal didn’t please her, Jolie cut her own. Said one person with knowledge of the behind-the-scenes machinations: “They aren’t selling it as a mainstream romantic drama because she doesn’t want that and they weren’t willing to take her on.”

“It’s a very kind of private film,” understated one source. So private in fact that it has had no critics screenings to date. And those they will have will only happen days before release. The reason most art house films don’t feature big TV spends is because the expenditure doesn’t support the model, and those films rely dearly on word-of-mouth and the hustling of stars to create any kind of awareness. None of that exists here.

The only promotion on the film came from Jolie herself. In an interview with Vogue10 days ago, the star called it a “personal project,” saying: “This is the only film I’ve done that is completely based on my own crazy mind.” She said that she and Pitt called the script “the crazy one” and “the worst idea.” Probably not the most positive words you’d use to promote a film.

“The budget of this film is incongruent with art-house fare. They made the movie because they had a re-pairing ofMr. And Mrs. Smith and thought they would have a marketable movie, but it became an art house film. That’s what happened,” said one observer. “They let it go for six months with everyone thinking it was going to be a wide release.”

By The Sea was always intended to open in limited release,” said a Universal spokeswoman. “This is a small, personal film from one of our most passionate writer/directors. We support Angelina’s artistic vision and plan to give the film the care it deserves.”

Set in the 1970s, the drama is about a couple’s relationship set against the backdrop of a seaside town. Universal picked up the project with awards-season hopes, but the studio is already waging campaigns for Jobs and Straight Outta Compton (the latter a surprise critical and box office darling). By releasing By The Sea in only in three cities, the studio can certainly save money by buying local spots and limited outdoor ads.

And lest we forget, this comes after the studio spent millions of dollars in TV spots trying in vain to sell Michael Fassbender as Steve Jobs to a mainstream audience.

I can't buy the narrative that Universal would allocate $27m budget for a small art house relationship drama.  Also, why would she need a budget that size if she was going for the intimate European art house spin?  Those movies didn't need that a fraction of that budget.  Why choose such an expensive location?

I don't understand why Universal gave Jolie so much leeway with this project. I could understand them making a mistake in the budget thinking they were getting a more mainstream film but why give way in terms of marketing?  Why the need to placate and cater to her?   It's not as if she has some long term profitable relationship with the studio.  Unbroken was a modest hit and her only other recent films with them was the Changeling.  If they'd wrangled out a deal to do Wanted sequel or another action film as a trade of I could understand.

• Like 1

My guess is that after she made Unbroken for them they allowed her total control and their total backing to make whatever she wanted, and a small-scale drama with Brad Pitt for less than $30M didn't sound like a "risky" idea at all. However, once they saw she turned in what is likely an unsellable movie- or worse, a film that is both unsellable and terrible- they figured it would be best for all involved if it came and went as quickly and quietly as possible. Shades of Swept Away, the collaboration between Madonna and then-husband Guy Ritchie that effectively killed Madonna's acting career once and for all (her only acting credits since then have been a cameo in Die Another Day, a one episode guest spot on Will & Grace, and a voiceover part in Arthur & the Invisibles).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

My guess is that after she made Unbroken for them they allowed her total control and their total backing to make whatever she wanted, and a small-scale drama with Brad Pitt for less than $30M didn't sound like a "risky" idea at all. However, once they saw she turned in what is likely an unsellable movie- or worse, a film that is both unsellable and terrible- they figured it would be best for all involved if it came and went as quickly and quietly as possible. Shades of Swept Away, the collaboration between Madonna and then-husband Guy Ritchie that effectively killed Madonna's acting career once and for all (her only acting credits since then have been a cameo in Die Another Day, a one episode guest spot on Will & Grace, and a voiceover part in Arthur & the Invisibles).

What killed Madonna´s acting career was the fact that she can´t act for shit.

6 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I can't buy the narrative that Universal would allocate $27m budget for a small art house relationship drama.  Also, why would she need a budget that size if she was going for the intimate European art house spin?  Those movies didn't need that a fraction of that budget.  Why choose such an expensive location?

I don't understand why Universal gave Jolie so much leeway with this project. I could understand them making a mistake in the budget thinking they were getting a more mainstream film but why give way in terms of marketing?  Why the need to placate and cater to her?   It's not as if she has some long term profitable relationship with the studio.  Unbroken was a modest hit and her only other recent films with them was the Changeling.  If they'd wrangled out a deal to do Wanted sequel or another action film as a trade of I could understand.

Well, by placating her they landed Brad.

So...really...placating two relationships?  Hollywood man.

Edited by kowhite

I'll be seeing this three days. I'm embarrassingly excited for it. If it is too through I will have infinite bragging rights because no one is expecting that. 

Tapley said a while back that some industry folk dig it and there is a mixed review on  letterboxd that makes it sound like something I'll love. 

I'll be seeing this three days. I'm embarrassingly excited for it. If it is too through I will have infinite bragging rights because no one is expecting that. 

Tapleg said a while back that some industry folk dig it and there is a mixed review on  letterboxd that sounde

1 hour ago, kowhite said:

Whoever wins...

We lose.

Hold that cup like alcohol, hold that cup like alcohol
Hold that cup like alcohol
Don't you drop that alcohol
Never drop that alcohol, never drop that alcohol
I know you thinkin' bout alcohol
I know I'm thinkin' bout that alcohol