#ED

Wknd #s: TF4 - 36.4M | Tam - 21.2M (32.9M) | DUFE - 9.5M (15M) | ETE - 8.3M (13.5M) | pg49 (We love the 90s/70s)

Like what? (Not a loaded question, genuinely intrigued.)Like I said, the novel is about 400 pages of plotless diatribes which many thought was completely un-filmable. So for them to get any kind of cohesive story out of it sort of impressive. Bale aside, I thought the directing was sharp.

In my opinion the direction lacked any life or flair. Most of the thing felt pretty televisual and The Hip to Be Square scene is the only really funny and unexpected moment in the film. Someone like Danny Boyle might have done something more interesting but to be fair I havent read the source novel.
  • Like 1

so the possible biggest movie of this summer TF4 (or is Maleficient going to win?) is dwarfted by its gross in China

how does that feel America?

We need add a billion people to compensate?

Honestly, TF4 falling 60%+ is expected but really amusing considering how low the competition is.

Was it really expected?  I thought it would make loads of money for 4th of July weekend and no competition.

I refer to the reviews/movie goers ratings in general, not my personal preference. In my personal preference Godzilla and CAP2 are equally good but I'm not going to be bitter about how their BO runs don't reflect my taste.

It's obvious that films like DOFP, EOT and HTTYD have been better reviewed/rated by those who've seen them (maybe I've assumed thing based on only a few websites that I've been checking regularly?). I still think Mal's been doing so well because it's somehow become 'the movie to see' for it's target audience.

If my favourite film was TASM2 and it's run was as leggy as Malficent's, I'd say the same thing - that it's outperformed some better films.

I am sure a great deal of the Maleficent target which are children don't mind rating it on a tool like RT so of course its audience rating will be even more flawn when it comes to reflect how the majority of its viewers received it..

Even I, an adult don't rate movies on RT...plenty of people don't.

And look at the last Transformers audience rate which by the way is lesser than Maleficent's...It doesn't reflect it still racking the dough too.

Edited by Ent

We need add a billion people to compensate?

in the 19th century during the construction of the transcontinental railways Chinese workers had to leave the country after their contracts terminated. In the 1910s America started to close its borders to unlimited Imigration from Europe. After the Civil war you stopped to "import" African slaves.

now you regret it?

Edited by Rudolf

Or maybe what you consider a so, so movie, is a good movie to them....just like what i consinder the horrendous Transformers serie that a lot of people dig and that is to me trasher than trash and totally unwatchable.

Why would a sizable target be desperate to see a move they don't like or find so so ?  It doesn't make sense.

They do watch it because they like it.  Wether some think it's a so, so product doesn't enter the equation when it's about their personal taste.  It's that simple. 

Alice in Wonderland. Oz the Great and Powerful. This audience turns up and enjoys shit. They only realize it months after that the movie sucked.

• Like 1

Alice in Wonderland. Oz the Great and Powerful. This audience turns up and enjoys shit. They only realize it months after that the movie sucked.

Along with Maleficient, fantasy seems to the common theme there...

I am not getting the benefit of releasing a film for the 4th of July. It looks like it hurts films more than helps. 

Yeah, July 4th and TG are the biggest con jobs in BO.

All it really does is shift the grosses around different weekends.

It's not like MD, the day itself, or Christmas-New Year's.

in the 19th century during the construction of the transcontinental railways Chinese workers had to leave the country after their contracts terminated. In the 1910s America started to close its borders to unlimited Imigration from Europe. After the Civil war you stopped to "import" African slaves.

now you regret it?

The only thing we regret is not having enough people to compensate the BO to match the Chinese one.  Otherwise no.  I'm sure the Chinese regret it otherwise they wouldn't have the One Child policy.

• Like 1

Hrm. When Tele went medieval on the Thursday thread, he must've gotten rid of three of my likes. Now my notification count is off.Also I question some of those deadline multis. 4x for 22JS seems high, even with a big Saturday bump.

Edited by DamienRoc
  • Like 1

Geez, Maleficent's legs are starting to get into the range reserved for the absolute best received films. If it keeps this up it could hit as high as 250. I honestly can't think of the last time such a bad movie has had such phenomenal legs though.

THG??Just Kidding. ;)

Lol imagine if Maleficent ends up out grossing Lego and Cap 2

That's a long way to go. It will be at 215m after this weekend. Coming off a 7-7.5m weekend, grossing another 40m would be very difficult. But it does have a shot at beating DOFP, which would be just tragic.
  • Like 3

This Summer is pretty f'ing trash. There's a few movies sprinkled in that are good, but overall it's no bueno. The little movies like snow piercer and even tho I know it's not small edge of tomorrow bring it up…but damn bad summer for movies…both box office wise and quality wise

That's a long way to go. It will be at 215m after this weekend. Coming off a 7-7.5m weekend, grossing another 40m would be very difficult.But it does have a shot at beating DOFP, which would be just tragic.

I would call it a lock for beating DOFP. it will need slightly more than 3x multi which is piece of cake in summer. I dont think Mal has any competition this month. It will just chug along and gross at least 240M.

But no chance of beating Lego or Cap2.

Normally I never wish for any movies to do poorly but Maleficent's run is getting into absurd territory as the time goes by. It'd be more justified and satisfied if some better movies have that kind of leg (or even half of that long leg). I don't get it's overly positive WOM, actually. Are women/kids that desperate to see 'something' that a so so movie become a gem in their eyes?

Posted Image
  • Like 1

This Summer is pretty f'ing trash. There's a few movies sprinkled in that are good, but overall it's no bueno. The little movies like snow piercer and even tho I know it's not small edge of tomorrow bring it up…but damn bad summer for movies…both box office wise and quality wise.

You're in the vast minority thinking that this summer is bad quality wise. What about DOFP or HTTYD 2?