Shawn Robbins

The Great Box Office Recession? -- Discussing the Up & Down Trends of the Box Office Market

Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?

• YES!
    • YES/NO! As some Big Budget Movies Won't be Affected!
    • NO!

Question for all BOT users and maybe a thread can be created somewhere about how many movies have you seen this year compared to years previous. Personally I am at a decade's low in terms of seeing movies. Saw a ton at end of 2010 but none so far (maybe going to MI4 in IMax). Been busy with life doing a couple things but still not motivated because the projects haven't been worth the money overall from what I've been told. HP8, Moneyball, H&K3 were last 3 and I saw most of those matinee early which I never have done in past.So how many movies have you gone to see in comparison to years past?

Not including what I might see this week, I saw two films in theaters. DH2 and Cars 2. And both were matinee, I'm not seeing anything at night anymore.

I`ve seen only DH2 opening weekend. The rest I`ve seen on cheap Tuesday - ROTPOTA, Thor, GL, CA, XM:FC,MI4. A friend of mine had free tix for TIFF so I`ve seen ADM and Shame. These two don`t count.I think I`ve seen something else as well but forgot what. I sneaked in after another movie, didn`t pay. It was some crap.

Edited by fishnets

Large cheap HDTVs have to play a role in this as well. I have a 50 inch 3D Plasma in my bedroom now. Its blows the cinema to pieces for colour reproduction and black levels, as well as having better sound tuned to my preferences due to a surround sound set up. The cinemas only advantaged is the earliness of release compared to Blu-ray or download. As a result i will only go to the cinema for a few select movies now, or if im bored. Instead of maybe 12 to 15 movies a year as it was 10 years ago its now 3 to 5 movies.

This year I went to the movies more than ever. I've been seeing more movies multiple times and there have been several weeks where i've seen more than one film. I like the movie going experience more than the actual movies :lol: . And going to the movies is very convenient, it's pretty much in the mall. I usually combine shopping with a movie.

11 this year, and I saw 10 last year. Don't know about other years.

I've seen 21 movies in the theater this year and that is likely to be the standing total. There just isn't anything else pulling me out.In total I've seen 109(first time viewing) movies this year. I keep count on another board with other posters.I try to see as many matinee's as possible. They are $8 now, $11 at night.

I've seen more movies this year and last year probably than ever before, but that's because I'm not in school anymore and have more disposable income than I had in years past.. I'm not sure about 2010 vs. 2011 though, I'll have to check.Just checked from my list, I've seen 30 movies in theaters this year, wow.

Edited by rockNrollaDIM

Four of those movies (127 Hours, Source Code, Sucker Punch, I Am Number Four) had more downloads than admissions! We just experience rough patches is all. When movies underperform and it's hard to explain why. Next spring and summer should be really strong.

IMAX 3D: $18.00IMAX: $15.00Regular movie: $13.00Movie Watcher pass: $10.50Weekends and holidays before noon AMC: $6.00Tuesday Cineplex: $7.50

my hometown theater (during college breaks)Matinee (before 6:00 PM) $5after 6:00 PM $73D add 2$college townMatinee before( 5 or 6 do not which one) 8$10$3$ for 3D