Ash Skywalker

Silence | Dec 23rd (Limited), January (Wide) | Trailer on Page 11

22 minutes ago, kowhite said:

This might be great, but it ain't doing no Revenant Numbers.  Not even close.

Given The Revenant went seriously over budget, I think Fox were relieved it did as well as it did as they actually made a profit. 

11 hours ago, kowhite said:

This might be great, but it ain't doing no Revenant Numbers.  Not even close.

Oh yeah. That's a given. I just thought it was a good strategy for Paramount to mirror. But yeah, no Leo and his Oscar narrative, no bear.

1 hour ago, Joel M said:

I agree but to be fair if you said a year ago that The Revenant was gonna do 500m WW, people would call you crazy.

Except for me.  :ph34r: (I predicted 200m for it in December, so I even overshot a little)

Edited by ThePanda A Star Wars Story
  • Like 1

I am still puzzled by the scope of the success of The Revenant to be honest.

A meditative 2h30-somewhat Malickian revenge western piece yet spectacular doing franchise numbers in 2016 ?

Doing better than Tarantino at the height of his power with Django ?

Just look at the Top 20 of 2015 and tell me The Revenant is not an alien. 

I mean Wut ?

You can Di Caprio me all you want, the movie was 1 hour too long for what it had to tell and Dicaprio was not even charismatic in the movie and this is not my subjective taste, DiCaprio s snot & drool is not what I consider box office pull in any shame or form.

So I don't know, reviews were good/very good, not unanimous though, movie had some vocal detractors.

I guess Dicaprio raped by a bear story did the magic trick.

That s all I got really.

Maybe it was the Mad guy.

Edited by The Futurist

@The Futurist The Revenant had a great marketing that made the movie more action-y than it was, but it seems that people didn't mind that it was more meditative once they saw it. It's like Arrival, which was marketed as a run-of-the-mill invasion movie, but it was hiding a meditative intelligent one. Since both target older audience, not teens, it's possible that that audience was very pleased with the real movies. Also, movies like IAL and Castaway showed that people love real star power alone on the screen. 

Also, it was unlike anything in the cinemas at that moment and it looked fantastic. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@The Futurist The Revenant had a great marketing that made the movie more action-y than it was, but it seems that people didn't mind that it was more meditative once they saw it. It's like Arrival, which was marketed as a run-of-the-mill invasion movie, but it was hiding a meditative intelligent one. Since both target older audience, not teens, it's possible that that audience was very pleased with the real movies. Also, movies like IAL and Castaway showed that people love real star power alone on the screen. 

Also, it was unlike anything in the cinemas at that moment and it looked fantastic. 

I think there's a demand not being met for more serious movies like the Revenant and Arrival.  Things like The Martian, Gone Girl, American Sniper, Unbroken and Gravity doing very well I think also push that narrative.

We're oversaturated with tame action blockbusters and comedies, so when a strong serious drama comes that markets itself well to get butts in theaters, it thrives.

The only problem, is these things are hard to produce off a factory belt like other tent poles.  They don't tend to franchise well, and they need to be serious but not boring.

Edited by ThePanda A Star Wars Story
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

I think there's a demand not being met for more serious movies like the Revenant and Arrival.  Things like The Martian, Gone Girl, American Sniper, Unbroken and Gravity doing very well I think also push that narrative.

We're oversaturated with tame action blockbusters and comedies, so when a strong serious drama comes that markets itself well to get butts in theaters, it thrives.

The only problem, is these things are hard to produce off a factory belt like other tent poles.  They don't tend to franchise well, and they need to be serious but not boring.

Agreed. Perfectly said. There's a big demand but because projects are not sure-fire successes that, as you say, could be franchised, studios don't make a massive number of them. But they make them so that's good. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I am still puzzled by the scope of the success of The Revenant to be honest.

A meditative 2h30-somewhat Malickian revenge western piece yet spectacular doing franchise numbers in 2016 ?

Doing better than Tarantino at the height of his power with Django ?

Just look at the Top 20 of 2015 and tell me The Revenant is not an alien. 

I mean Wut ?

You can Di Caprio me all you want, the movie was 1 hour too long for what it had to tell and Dicaprio was not even charismatic in the movie and this is not my subjective taste, DiCaprio s snot & drool is not what I consider box office pull in any shame or form.

So I don't know, reviews were good/very good, not unanimous though, movie had some vocal detractors.

I guess Dicaprio raped by a bear story did the magic trick.

That s all I got really.

Maybe it was the Mad guy.

They came for Leo action revenge and stayed for Yosemite Sam Hardy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

This isn't even guaranteed to make as much in total as The Revenant did in its wide launch.

I think under 40m is too low for this. Scorsese is too famous and too much worshipped by the industry by now for his "minor" movies to go back to After Hours and Bringind out the dead BO numbers. It will have critical support, it will more likely than not get a bunch of oscar nominations just by being Scorsese and period piece, it looks like an epic adventure enough based on the marketing and will grab a few people that will have no idea if it's 2+ hours of people praying. I feel like even if it's his most alienating/esoteric movie since Kundun, it will still drag itself to 40-50m. If only because the "new scorsese movie" is a much bigger deal now than it was 20 years ago.

And maybe the can also sell it to religious groups which will be the epitome of irony considering how they felt about the last christian movie Scorsese made.