CJohn

Weekend Estimates: The Purge 28.3M | Apes 36M | Sex Tape 15M | Planes 18M | Godzilla 470k +91% 198.9m!!! | More Numbers on Page 1

Because $450K worth of people just had to see Dane Cook as an airplane as soon as possible.

Ah, that must have been it.  Thanks for clarifying ;)

• Like 1

LOL I can't believe that this is looking to come reasonably close to the first movie despite that film's terrible reception. I got dragged to it last year and almost emerged from the theater 85 minutes later as a human vegetable from enduring so much idiocy.

The Purge appealed primarily to the YA audience, and the majority of that audience is fairly loyal to the franchises they like (mostly because certain franchises get popular so they want to fit in), and the Purge turns out to be one of those.  They'll go into it highly anticipating it and will rarely come out disliking it.

That also means it's going to be just as frontloaded as the first.

• Like 2

Interesting that Purge 2 has better reviews than the 1st.

I think it's primarily because the Purge 1 was a home invasion movie, the concept of the Purge was pointless (not that it was all that smart of a concept to begin with).  The Purge 2 apparently utilizes the concept more.

• Like 1

The Purge appealed primarily to the YA audience, and the majority of that audience is fairly loyal to the franchises they like (mostly because certain franchises get popular so they want to fit in), and the Purge turns out to be one of those.  They'll go into it highly anticipating it and will rarely come out disliking it.

That also means it's going to be just as frontloaded as the first.

But most thought the Purge was laughable. 

• Like 1

Honestly I'm so done with this summer at the box office. Unless GOTG is some massive shocking breakout, wake me up when Mockingjay hits please.

That's when I plan to sleep :P
  • Like 1

Apes $29.9M

Purge $27.2M

Planes $24.1M

Sex $23.7M

Apes is a sequel unlike WWZ but still, it would be a tad disappointing if it did 29.9m, just barely over WWZ's 29.8m (had a 6.2m Wed and 5.6m Thu). I think 30.5m(-58%) is the floor.

• Like 1