Guardians of The Galaxy (2014)

153 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

But I don't understand how you think that if you don't see a forcefield, it is somehow not there at all. That's such an arbitrary thing to impose on your viewing of a space opera/sci-fi/fantasy film.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

I think most of the humor (except Rocket's) worked for me. Pratt is a wonderful leading man who bounces off of Saldana and Bautista particularly well. It just wasn't anchored in any tangible emotion to leave me with anything exiting the theater. I wanted to see what exactly happened to Rocket when he was given powers, not hear him talk about it. I wanted to see Drax with his family, not hear him just speak of avenging them. But we don't have time for more than a few dynamic ensemble scenes because we have to have the Bland Marvel Movie Villain, the Big Marvel Movie Airship Battle, and the Bullshit Marvel Movie Worldbuilding Hints (Isn't Thanos supposed to be the big Avengers baddie? Why did he seem so weak in this film?). I'm fine with Howard the Duck, though. Apparently some aren't?

What was wrong with Rocket?

Okay, I will give it a chance

Seriously people complain about the smallest/most irrelevant parts. I don't know how they could survive in space but I didn't care either, it didn't stop me from enjoying the film. Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

But I don't understand how you think that if you don't see a forcefield, it is somehow not there at all. That's such an arbitrary thing to impose on your viewing of a space opera/sci-fi/fantasy film.

Any weirder than not forgiving a movie for a moment that was a strong character beat because it isn't portrait 100% scientifically accurate in a space opera/sci-fi/fantasy film?It doesn't bother me about whether or not there are forcefields. I was just using that as an example of another movie that had inaccurate space stuff. I was 3 when Jedi came out, do you think the 100's of times I watched that as a child I realized there was a forcefield? I'm still going to go with there not being one because who cares? It's a cool visual to me.
  • Like 1

Really good movie. Fun and entertaining all round. Though i loved the jokes it did seem a bit too much at times but not something i can criticise too much. 

The story was good and the action fantastic. Not the best Marvel movie i have seen but its up there.  

All characters were good except for Drax who was just pitiful. Absolutely nothing about him screams destroyer. Also the Nova corps were well...kinda lame. Nothing like the comics. But all in all everything fell together to make a good fun movie.

Also the the post credit scenes sucked. 

If Marvel can put together a bunch of unknowns and make it work im sure WB can put known heroes in the Justice league and make it work without any prior introduction.

B+

So I went to the theater, and I was nervous. I'm here to see two things, Guardians and Interstellar trailer. The trailers started and first there was Into the Woods. It didn't look very good. Chris Pine is a handsome fella though. Then there was Big Hero 6. The marketing has done nothing for me so far.

And then...I let the trailer bask all over me

Posted Image

The tears...

As for the movie itself, I enjoyed it a pretty good amount. The first act was a bit clunky I felt from a narrative standpoint but then it started flowing better for me. Chris Pratt is so charming, Groot and Rocket were great, Drax was alright, and I enjoyed Gamora.

- Ronan is just an ok villain, but again, I'm not sure Marvel Studios has quite had a standout villain. I think Loki is a nice character, but not necessarily a great villain, and the Winter Soldier was kind of a cool force, but I don't know. I think Ultron could be really awesome based on the description.

- Soundtrack is fantastic, can't wait for Awesome Mixtape Vol. 2

- Not enough Benicio Del Toro!

- Kevin Bacon gag is amazing.

- I really loved the transition from the intro to the Marvel Studios logo. Really neat.

That's all I got for now. But as soon as I exited the theater, I got a call from a group of friends to go see it again tonight so I'll have more thoughts when I see it a 2nd time tonight. For now...B

• Like 3

In all honesty this did just enough to barely work for me.

Perhaps my liking of Winter Soldier jaded me going in here.  I dug the more gritty and spy-oriented Winter Soldier as a result of the story that backed it up.  This is unfortunately more of the same regarding the Marvel universe.  No doubt it will will appease hordes of fans everywhere, but I'll be damned if it didn't leave me wanting more.

The one thing that worked (and ultimately made it worth a watch) was the sense of adventure that pervades throughout.  If anything it is always entertaining and fun.  The problem with that is eventually I want more.  A sense of adventure and some good action only goes so far with me.  At a certain point there needs to be some depth and involvement in the action.

Perhaps the biggest issues here is the story itself.  Basically another re-hash of there's some special object that is of great power and the bad guy is in search of it.  Once he obtains said object he will use it to destroy planets.  Excuse me while I yawn over here.

The villain here is a big deterrent (some dude called Ronin).  He is basically void of any kind of personality.  I wouldn't argue if one made the statement that he is in fact boring as fuck.  To make matters worse, he never feels like a threat.  That is in fact a problem across the board here as you never get any semblance of danger here.

When story is not a film's strong suit, it must attempt to alleviate with ample character on display.  Unfortunately I didn't quite feel that here.  The characters are developed just enough to make them distinguishable from each other but at the end of the day the depth is done in a shallow manner.  All this talk about the fiim's character and personality is being overstated.  It is indeed a film of excess but excess does not equal personality.

The best representation of the film lies in the scene in which they all rise up in a circle.  Such scene was clearly meant to display some kind of camaraderie along with a sense of foreboding danger.  I'll put this lightly.......the film doesn't earn this scene.  Up to this point you didn't really feel the chemistry between the characters and you sure as hell didn't feel any sense of danger.  It felt like some tacked on scene to make sure the audience knew where the stakes were.  It didn't work on me.

It may sound like I didn't like it, but I had a good enough time.  Outside of Winter Soldier, this is par for the course regarding my opinion on Marvel.  Full of stimulation but very little underneath it all.
  • Like 6

The boys are coming to give Guardians a challenge this weekend is going to be very interesting..

" TOGETHER YOU ARE STRONGER THAN HE CAN EVER HOPE TO BE!!"

TMNT COMES FULL CIRCLE  AUGUST 8!!

This is the review thread for Guardians, please stop your nonsense.

• Like 5

So I went to the theater, and I was nervous. I'm here to see two things, Guardians and Interstellar trailer. The trailers started and first there was Into the Woods. It didn't look very good. Chris Pine is a handsome fella though. Then there was Big Hero 6. The marketing has done nothing for me so far.

And then...I let the trailer bask all over me

Posted Image

The tears...

As for the movie itself, I enjoyed it a pretty good amount. The first act was a bit clunky I felt from a narrative standpoint but then it started flowing better for me. Chris Pratt is so charming, Groot and Rocket were great, Drax was alright, and I enjoyed Gamora.

- Ronan is just an ok villain, but again, I'm not sure Marvel Studios has quite had a standout villain. I think Loki is a nice character, but not necessarily a great villain, and the Winter Soldier was kind of a cool force, but I don't know. I think Ultron could be really awesome based on the description.

- Soundtrack is fantastic, can't wait for Awesome Mixtape Vol. 2

- Not enough Benicio Del Toro!

- Kevin Bacon gag is amazing.

- I really loved the transition from the intro to the Marvel Studios logo. Really neat.

That's all I got for now. But as soon as I exited the theater, I got a call from a group of friends to go see it again tonight so I'll have more thoughts when I see it a 2nd time tonight. For now...B

Wait Kevin Bacon is in this :)?