Guardians of The Galaxy (2014)

153 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I think most of the humor (except Rocket's) worked for me. Pratt is a wonderful leading man who bounces off of Saldana and Bautista particularly well. It just wasn't anchored in any tangible emotion to leave me with anything exiting the theater. I wanted to see what exactly happened to Rocket when he was given powers, not hear him talk about it. I wanted to see Drax with his family, not hear him just speak of avenging them. But we don't have time for more than a few dynamic ensemble scenes because we have to have the Bland Marvel Movie Villain, the Big Marvel Movie Airship Battle, and the Bullshit Marvel Movie Worldbuilding Hints (Isn't Thanos supposed to be the big Avengers baddie? Why did he seem so weak in this film?). 

I'm fine with Howard the Duck, though. Apparently some aren't?

• Like 7

Loved it. First Marvel film since The Avengers that I can say I fully enjoyed. Everything worked for me.

Also, "You're making me beat up grass!" is new meme.

Nice Tribefan buddy.. Wow everyone getting me stoked to see this.

Looks like its worth it to see in 3D as well :)

• Like 1

I liked it, but I didn't think it was the best Marvel movie out there. It's on par with The Avengers, but I still think Captain America 2 was a bit more entertaining. Don't get me wrong. I loved the chemistry between the five of them and the visuals were great. Chris Pratt is a bro and so is Bautista. I have to say the audience wouldn't stop laughing at what Rocket would say and don't get me started on Groot's only few words. Overall it's a really fun time at the movies. Not my favorite film of the year though. 

B+/A-

• Like 1

Just saw GalaxyReview will be later.But I did love it.

Well the theater was not as crowded-but there was a flash flood warning around town (Yeah we finally had rain) and as I said before this theater is not as crowded as it use to be.

Trailers:

Maze Runner: I think I saw the entire movie in this trailer-felt almost as long as a trailer from the 60s/70s! (And felt like a THG ripoff)

Interstellar: Looks pretty good.

MJ1: Every time I've seen a trailer its a different teaser! Some talking.

Into the Woods: Actually does not look that bad. Some ladies were saying something.

Big Hero 6: Quite a bit of laughs.

Hobbit 3: Looks great, some ladies in front of me were saying "Yay want to see that"

Movie: Very good. The opening was actually quite emotional for a Marvel film. The visuals were great and I really enjoyed Groot and Rocket. If you said I would of loved this a year ago I think you were crazy. Quite fun as well.And the end credits scene....OH MY GOSH. The entire audience was going....well..........yeah! They were amazed.

A-

• Like 3

A-

Was it just me or did anyone else get a Star Wars vibe?

what worked:

[*]amazing FX,

[*]Gunn and co. exceeded my expectations for the material (great writing, good mixture of comedy and action)

[*]Rocket....nuff said

what didn't work:

[*]I cannot forgive Star Lord and Gamora being able to survive in the vacuum of space. Assuming there was enough breathable air and tolerable temperatures in the two scenes with them in space, there is no pressure. It's a vacuum. Even if they weren't fully human, that's just not possible

[*]Some of the humor didn't work for me. At times it was excessive.

Also, For some reason the soundtrack selection just didn't awake the nostalgia in me.

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 5

<p>A-Was it just me or did anyone else get a Star Wars vibe?I cannot forgive Star Lord and Gamora being able to survive in the vacuum of space. Assuming there was enough breathable air and tolerable temperatures in the two scenes with them in space, there is no pressure. It's a vacuum. Even if they weren't fully human, that's just not possible

Can you forgive Star Wars for the same thing?
  • Like 2

[*]I cannot forgive Star Lord and Gamora being able to survive in the vacuum of space.  Assuming there was enough breathable air and tolerable temperatures in the two scenes with them in space, there is no pressure.  It's a vacuum.  Even if they weren't fully human, that's just not possible

You can actually survive for longer in vacuum than you'd think, generally up to 90 seconds before the hypoxia and low pressure gets too damaging. The only issue is that you'd probably lose consciousness in 15-30 seconds. Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

All those hangar bays that are just open to space with people just walking around in them?

Damien is correct. The technology in SW is forcefields similar to the deflector shields on ships (which are invisible). In the opening battle of Episode 3 we see an example of such a forcefield, though it is visible to the naked eye.
  • Like 2

Just flat out didn't like it.  I didn't like the characters, didn't find it humourous, find it to be cliched and basically it's Spaceballs but without Mel Brook's humour.  The Orb is basically a pocket sized Deathstar, Groot is Chewy and Raccoon is Han.  The scene where Groot continues to say "I am Groot," and Rocket interprets what he is saying as things like, "yes we should go after them" and so on, is exactly what Han does with Chewy.  It had the generic Marvel air battles with the generic space ship fight and then you had Thanos, who is supposed to be the greatest warrior in the galaxy, or so I have been told, and yet in this he comes off as a pussy.  And every scene I have seen with Thanos, (two films now), all he does is sit on his floating throne and talk nonsense.  

I realize I'm in the minority on this so I won't go any further but it's just a silly and derived film and one that did nothing for me.

5/10

• Like 3

Damien is correct. The technology in SW is forcefields similar to the deflector shields on ships (which are invisible). In the opening battle of Episode 3 we see an example of such a forcefield, though it is visible to the naked eye.

Eh, forcefield schmorcefield. There was no force field when they were in that asteroid walking around was there? The point is, there are some movies that require plausible science and this ain't one of them. In this movie you have:-A stone that can destroy an entire planet-A walking, talking tree-A walking talking raccoonLet's say for just a moment that he never took off his helmet, you would find nothing wrong with the fact that he is just wearing pants and a jacket? You think that could protect him from the vacuum of space?
  • Like 4