Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Cause pessimism is fun.

If Guardians "only" gets a $70-80 million OW out of this somehow that'll still be a huge success and nobody better dare call that underwhelming. 

If it drops 61% next weekend after that, then I guess we can start getting kind of bummed out.

You have to consider the fact that Guardians is minor blimp in Marvel universe.

That midnight number is just astonishing. GA is hungry for light, inconsequential

entertainment.

Other films that opened in early August had an increase on Saturday or a minor drop (<5%). Even with -5% on Sat and -25% on Sun (worst-case scenario, imo), this film can reach $100M by grossing $37.6M on Fri: 37.6*(1+0.95+0.95*0.75)=100.11QED: This summer will finally have a TRUE $100M+ opener.

Edited by Quigley

Anything over 85 million is huge for this.

Definitely.....I'm not about to forget that two days ago 65 million was going to be a great OW for GotG.    I'll be damned if I'm going to consider 80-90 million "disappointing" or "underwhelming".    This is August...this is the movie that was a big risk to even make.   This is a home run for Marvel.

What a sad day at the box office. A ridiculously hokie film makes bank.  Somewhere, Douglas Fairbanks is weeping in his grave.  I seriously can't believe so many like this film.  It's just so bland and incredibly silly.

I've been there.

Totally befuddled at the success of the Shrek, Transformers, and Twilight franchises.    Never got why so many people went crazy over TDK.   I fell for it at least once myself...went and saw Avatar 3 times....a month later I wondered why I was so enamored with it.   Meanwhile some of my favorite movies were flops.   I just thought I was out of step with the mainstream.   If it wasn't for Marvel and Pixar I would think I'm in my own little world.

• Like 2

Ok so GotG is at the high end. 100 will depend on Saturday but the 90+ is looking really good.And what I've learned from the last few pages:Different strokes for different folks. No surprise in this community :PBTW Innerspace...just as good as the last time I saw it :D

• Like 2

Regarding the thread title, there has been a little bit of derailment on the last few pages.

But talking about the box office, it seems like Guardians was quite frontloaded after all. What bothers me is that it kept dropping from estimates. :unsure: Don't get me wrong, even 36M is an amazing number, but 40M would have been nice.

• Like 1

Regarding the thread title, there has been a little bit of derailment on the last few pages.

But talking about the box office, it seems like Guardians was quite frontloaded after all. What bothers me is that it kept dropping from estimates. :unsure: Don't get me wrong, even 36M is an amazing number, but 40M would have been nice.

If it makes it any better. Nikki was saying 36m early Friday morning. Spatula was saying higher than Thor lower than CA. It really just went up than back down to the super early projections.

If it makes it any better. Nikki was saying 36m early Friday morning. Spatula was saying higher than Thor lower than CA. It really just went up than back down to the super early projections.

True. Regardless of what the final number will be though, it's safe to say that we have our summer breakout hit now.

• Like 2

Let me look, Goyer  and .. Seems like Top writers to me neo. Avengers goose looks cooked

'Man of Steel' Sequel Hires 'Argo' Writer | Movies News ...
www.rollingstone.com/.../man-of-steel-sequel-hires-argo-w...
Rolling Stone
Dec 19, 2013 - Argo screenwriter Chris Terrio, who won an Oscar, has signed on to work on the as-yet-untitled Man of Steel sequel that will feature both ...

GOYER TOP WRITER?

• Like 1