Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

You can say the same about Hobbit3 and BH6 too.

Both have more chance at 300m than Interstellar IMO.

I think otherwise. I guess we will see later this year if I am right or wrong. 

• Like 1

Why would Interstellar open better than Inception though? That movie had some of the most attention grabbing marketing in modern film history, a big box office star, and Nolan riding TDK's wave. Also multis were much better then than now and Inception still missed 300 with its fantastic WOM. 300 is definitely a long shot for Interstellar, I see no way it isn't.

• Like 2

Horrible Bosses 2 and Penguins of Madagascar. 

Bah. Fucking penguins.

Oh well. Nothing shall stand in the way of Nolan, though he'll gladly sidestep around Katniss.

• Like 1

Why would Interstellar open better than Inception though? That movie had some of the most attention grabbing marketing in modern film history, a big box office star, and Nolan riding TDK's wave. Also multis were much better then than now and Inception still missed 300 with its fantastic WOM. 300 is definitely a long shot for Interstellar, I see no way it isn't.

The most attention grabbing marketing in modern history only opened to 62m  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The most attention grabbing marketing in modern history only opened to 62m  :rolleyes:

I said some of the most attention grabbing. Inception's marketing was flawless. It was a completely original film with a plot too complicated to be explained well in marketing no matter how hard they would have tried, and it STILL managed to look super appealing despite that. If the marketing hadn't been so phenomenal it may have opened to half of what it did. Take away Nolan and Leo draw power on top of that and it would have been a massive bomb on OW.

Anyways I'm saying the marketing for IS hasn't been all that grabbing so far. The newest trailer is much better with that, but before that all audiences have seen are a whole lot of character driven farm life stuff. McConaughey just won an Oscar but he's certainly not the box office draw Leo has been since Titanic. And I don't think Nolan's draw power is anywhere near the height it was coming off of TDK right now. I mean he's coming off a movie that still has a stigma attached to it.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

The reason Interstellar could out open Inception is because of Inception itself. It pretty much cemented Nolan's status as a big time blockbuster filmmaker. Sure, when Inception came out, he was the guy who made the Dark Knight. But now he's more than that thanks to Inception.

Having said that, I wonder if the lack of "action" will hurt its larger box office prospects.

• Like 2

Well all I'm saying is Interstellar better hit at least 70m OW to hope at all for 300 in today's multi climate. Legs for wide releases  this year have been awful in general. The only way wide releases have gotten anywhere near 4x multis this year is with small sub 30 OWs. And before Gravity gets brought up keep in mind it had literally an entire month to itself. That's a massive difference from opening during the Holidays.

• Like 1

Interstellar is going to outgross Hobbit and BH6. I've explained why like a thousand times this week in the Interstellar thread so I'm not going into it here.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing. However that doesn't mean it's coming near 300. I could see all finishing in the 250 range.

• Like 1

I wish BH6 would move to a Frozen slot. What's coming out this Thanksgiving?

Two different movies.  One about space travel and the other fun animated movie.  Think both would do well and GA would flock to both.  Its just ruining the OW chance of 100 million.

Edited by Klingo

I said some of the most attention grabbing. Inception's marketing was flawless. It was a completely original film with a plot too complicated to be explained well in marketing no matter how hard they would have tried, and it STILL managed to look super appealing despite that. If the marketing hadn't been so phenomenal it may have opened to half of what it did. Take away Nolan and Leo draw power on top of that and it would have been a massive bomb on OW.

Anyways I'm saying the marketing for IS hasn't been all that grabbing so far. The newest trailer is much better with that, but before that all audiences have seen are a whole lot of character driven farm life stuff. McConaughey just won an Oscar but he's certainly not the box office draw Leo has been since Titanic. And I don't think Nolan's draw power is anywhere near the height it was coming off of TDK right now. I mean he's coming off a movie that still has a stigma attached to it.

Nolan as a brand is way bigger than when inception opened. Now he is coming after 3 movies that almost grossed 3B WW and is lot more well known(especially in OS markets). Lack of Leo is offset by super strong ensemble cast and true space epic. I think potential is bigger than Inception that way.

I would say if inception opened this year then it would have grossed 400M Domestic and 1B WW. 

• Like 3

I'm not necessarily disagreeing. However that doesn't mean it's coming near 300. I could see all finishing in the 250 range.

Interstellar could be treated almost like Gravity without 3D.  It does have IMAX though.  $15 for IMAX, forgot how much 3D cost since I only been to Avatar.  Think thats when prices jumped after that.  Could be $18.

Edited by Klingo

^ This.I didn't follow the B.O that close back then. Anyone was around on it's opening weekend? How big it was back then? Was it like, everyone must see it THIS week? I remember feeling a bit shocked when I saw that opening number, I didn't realise 100m+ weekend could happen.

It still remains as one of the most crowded OW ever. Maybe on par to Avengers OW. If you see the biggest OW adjusted list, you will see that it adjusts to 161 million, with an average of 44k $ per theater, since it was only released in 3,615 theaters. And this data without 3D, which Avengers had. I do not know what was the 3D ratio of TA OW, but if you add just a 10% to average, you have 49,000 $ per theater, bigger than TA average. It was definitely, a monstruous OW.Another data. Both Avengers and Spider-man set new OW record. Former holders were HP1 with 90 million, and HP8, with 169, respectively. Avengers increased relative to HP8 about a 21-22%. Spider-man increased it in a 25%.I know that Avengers OW is astonishing, incredible. Close to market saturation. But IMO, the feeling that people want to see movies as early as they can is quite bigger than 12 years ago. For that reason I think SM OW is in the same league than Avengers, or at least very close. I do not live in US, but numbers say that.
  • Like 3

The reason Interstellar could out open Inception is because of Inception itself. It pretty much cemented Nolan's status as a big time blockbuster filmmaker. Sure, when Inception came out, he was the guy who made the Dark Knight. But now he's more than that thanks to Inception.

Only to a certain segment of the GA.  Since the discussion last week of what directors were recognizable names to the GA I've made it a point to ask my co-workers if they've heard of him.  Almost all of them have seen TDK & Inception but known recognized his name.  These are older males... upper 30s and 40s.

And I don't think a non-action science fiction film will generate a lot of excitement to the GA.  Inception numbers will be a nice target for Interstellar.

• Like 1

Because Inception had far more hype on the internet than in the real world.