Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

Sci-Fi in its nature is pure speculative fiction. Apollo 13 is historical fiction, the science elements take backseat to the retelling of a past event via the perspectives of real-life persons.

Yeah I got the gist. I was just messing around.

So The Right Stuff is not scifi but Space Cowboys is but if The Right Stuff was not based on real people, that would be scifi even if the movie would still be exactly the same. I doubt Gravity is hardcore scifi with lot of mumbo jumbo as well, like you said, science will take a backseat to emphasize a tense portraiture of a character facing her greatest fears in the face of extreme conditions.

Frickin etiquettes genres. It's a drama set in space. Period.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Which is more interesting here:

1. Whether Gravity and Hunger Games are Sci-Fi?

THG is unquestionably sci-fi. Dystopian future? Check. Technologically advanced group of people(Capitol)? Check. Genetically modified animals and humans? Check. Virtual world acting as "battlefield"? Check.

Dunno much about Gravity so far to really say. It may just border on the genre but be more "thriller/drama".

I thought of changing my display name to "Cuaron Crusader", but instead I settled for Shay-vity.

I'll keep this name till Gravity destroys Catnip 2 (see my Location).

Which is more interesting here:

1. Whether Gravity and Hunger Games are Sci-Fi?

2. Or whether Gravity will destroy Hunger Games (WW)?

Posted Image

Yeah I got the gist. I was just messing around.

So The Right Stuff is not scifi but Space Cowboys is but if The Right Stuff was not based on real people, that would be scifi even if the movie would still be exactly the same. I doubt Gravity is hardcore scifi with lot of mumbo jumbo as well, like you said, science will take a backseat to emphasize a tense portraiture of a character facing her greatest fears in the face of extreme conditions.

Frickin etiquettes genres. It's a drama set in space. Period.

IMO Gravity should be classified as a Sci-Fi Drama, as it is what you said, and the core of the plot is based around technology and scientific hazards prompting the extreme condition. Sci-Fi and Drama describe two different things, one describes setting and premise, the other describes tone and mood.

GRAVITY - the thinking (and feeling) man's sci-fi - against the Hunger Games - the soulless mass product sci-fi of Twilight infamy!!

Bets on folks!!!

let's run with with that. intellectual vs mass produced.

so why will gravity beat hunger games?

• Like 1

An interesting note. Unlike that in the trailer, there will be no sound in that space station explosion scene in the film as Cuaron said

""They put in explosions [in the trailer]. As we know, there is no sound in space. In the film, we don't do that."

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/jul/22/comic-con-2013-five-things-we-learned

Edited by vc2002