Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

Another mediocre BD release from WB, 16 fucking GB(movie and original audio), clap-clap.

Yeah WB sucks at BD. They are willing to take bigger risk than the rest studios but they just cant get the blu-ray right.

Gravity is not a sci-fi. Posted Image

This post sounds fishy. :sherlock:

Edited by vc2002

That was actually one of the few things in Gravity I didn't like. It's a bit obvious, isn't it? 

Of course it's obvious, but it's still a beautiful scene. Not everything has to subtle in order to be beautiful...

• Like 1

Yes it is.

It's realistic and near future, but it's still very much science fiction.

Yep, it's a fictional film steeped in the scientific (Sci-fi). Sci-fi doesn't have to always be futuristic. In fact, wikipedia cites any work of fiction dealing with space travel as sci-fi in their definition of the genre.

Passed 700m WW today. What a boxoffice run for an original movie.

WW it's the 8th biggest in 2013, and DOM it's going to beat Monsters University to be the 6th biggest.

While you could argue that Frozen is also an original movie, it was also of the Disney Princess brand which is incredibly popular, it also had an excellent release date.  Gravity was an original, space thriller released in October with the only mainstream appeal being Bullock and Clooney, I definitely think this was a case where the reviews helped.  People heard the early buzz from the early screenings, especially about the visuals so it got people to go out and go.

:lol: Those fuckers.

btw, Bullock's gonna earn something like 70m for GRAVITY (the article also has some interesting BO data on other BP contenders):

While The Wolf of Wall Street has performed well ($338 million globally), Paramount did not finance the $100 million-plus film and therefore will not see a huge upside; as for the $41 million American Hustle (which has made $217 million globally), Sony will have to split profits with co-financier Megan Ellison.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gravity-sandra-bullock-make-70-683561

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 5

I can't believe she asked for 20 mill and 15% of the gross and they fucking gave it to her.  I didn't think deals like that were still made unless it was for an established franchise.  That's an astonishing amount of money for an original film.  

• Like 1

I can't believe she asked for 20 mill and 15% of the gross and they fucking gave it to her.  I didn't think deals like that were still made unless it was for an established franchise.  That's an astonishing amount of money for an original film.  

Just think about it. The film's budget was 100M, right? 20M to Bullock and that's 80M left. Take out whatever they paid Clooney (which is probably way less than Bullock) and let's say ... 70M? This movie was done with 70M.

Also, I think a deal like this went through because of her popularity. I still think most of the early attention the movie got was because of her, the rest of it was because of the quality. A well done deal, I'd say.

• Like 2

The deal is well done now that it is a success, no doubt.  But Bullock has never had a hit like this WW.  And it's not just box office she gets a percentage of, she gets it from HV as well.  Good for her, but that was a huge gamble for the studio.