Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

@CJohn looks like the Portuguese release is getting cancelled because it's shit :jeb!: I don't think Disney has ever kept an embargo that late in recent years; even the SW embargoes were lifted before then.

I will be quite surprised if this doesn't get a fresh tomato on RT.

1 minute ago, Alli said:

Do you think your "BP #1  four weekends in a row"  still has a chance? BP is dropping more than expected this weekend

Yeah I'm still confident; I was mapping out scenarios with like an 80M second weekend last Friday. If this really does get panned, the tracking range will be the roof.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

I will be quite surprised if this doesn't get a fresh tomato on RT.

Prepare to be surprised.

Edited by WrathOfHan

26 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I'm pretty sure our general conclusion from last year when that article popped up was that it was mostly a crock of shit.

I mean, aren't we getting an object lesson in that right this very second with Annihilation?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean, aren't we getting an object lesson in that right this very second with Annihilation?

I look at Annihilation as an exception to the rule, but you never know. I just think that, if Disney thought they had something special, they would put reactions out sooner to ride the diversity wave that Black Panther created. I'm not seeing that here. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Prepare to be surprised.

This is a Disney movie directed by a black woman with an incredibly diverse cast. There is exactly 0% chance this falls below 60% on RT. You can quote me if it ends below.

• ...wtf 1

Just now, MrGamer said:

I look at Annihilation as an exception to the rule, but you never know. I just think that, if Disney thought they had something special, they would put reactions out sooner to ride the diversity wave that Black Panther created. I'm not seeing that here. 

This. Disney almost always lifts their embargoes pretty early. Even goddamn Alice Through the Looking Glass had its embargo lifted for major critics two weeks before release.

Mind, having the embargo release be THAT close to opening on an adaptation of a known property is... Well, strange.  At least with SW films they have the spoiler angle that they like to trot out.

Not the end of the world, but even I'll admit it's a little eyebrow raising.  More the social media embargo than the review one.

When IS the World Premiere, anyway?  Looking about, I can't find a date.  I saw a contest promoting a World Premiere, so I know it's getting one.  Anyone know when it is?

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This. Disney almost always lifts their embargoes pretty early. Even goddamn Alice Through the Looking Glass had its embargo lifted for major critics two weeks before release.

Maybe they could lift the embargo now, and for the time the release comes, all the bad reviews could have luckily been forgotten. 

Edited by meriodejaneiro
  • Haha 1

Well, Disney is always entitled to have one dud every now and then. Not like they won't make back the potential losses from this with their next monster tentpole.

I'll obviously still see this (I like the people involved too much not to) but I can't say my expectations are very high.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well, Disney is always entitled to have one dud every now and then. Not like they won't make back the potential losses from this with their next monster tentpole.

I'll obviously still see this (I like the people involved too much not to) but I can't say my expectations are very high.

Or their current monster tentpole. 

It'll be a bummer if it is a dud since Ava DuVernay is a talented director but then again even talented directors don't always succeed. 

33 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

to be fair Oz had God Raimi behind it

The Wizard of Oz is a beloved American property, it's always going to do good business.

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

All those films had more hype surrounding them.  John Carter and Tomorrowland sure didn't survive their mixed reviews.

Both John Carter and Tomorrowland had strong competition in the weeks after their release. JC faced 21 Jump Street and The Hunger Games and a strong holdover in The Lorax while Tomorrowland faced San Andreas and Jurassic World plus two strong holdovers in Mad Max and Pitch Perfect 2. AWIT does have the advantage that there isn't strong competition until Ready Player One as well as BP as a holdover