filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

Someone should really talk Comicbookmovie users off the ledge. This has been an unexpected weekend for them. A lot of them still in denial that TMNT won the weekend easily.

I like a few of the writers for that site... But some of the commenters are really, really, totally idiotic. And sexist. They really have no idea what they're talking about :P
  • Like 1

Congrats to Turtles for having one August Best Opening Weekends:

1 Guardians of the Galaxy BV $94,320,883 53.6% 4,080 $23,118 $175,922,000 8/1/14 2 The Bourne Ultimatum Uni. $69,283,690 30.5% 3,660 $18,929 $227,471,070 8/3/07 3 Rush Hour 2 NL $67,408,222 29.8% 3,118 $21,619 $226,164,286 8/3/01 4 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) Par. $65,000,000 100.0% 3,845 $16,905 $65,000,000 8/8/14 5 Signs BV $60,117,080 26.4% 3,264 $18,418 $227,966,634 8/2/02

I think they can easily move the Sequel to June or July next time.  But August again would be a good spot too. 

Sometimes I think people forget that Dawn isn't the 2nd Apes installment, its like the 8th. It's a long running sci-fi franchise with a decidedly downer feel that tends to cater to adult male nerds. It shouldn't be surprising that it's better recieved here than with the general audience. It's never gonna be mega-huge.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 2

Dawn's holds have been shit since second Sunday.

Every day dropping close to 50% is terrible.

Even Godzilla and TASM2 started to get some decent drops late in their runs.

Dawn has dropped nearly 50% every day since then or above it.

It's one of the only films that has never stabilized.

worldwide maybe but its domestic gross is a bit disappointing now. It really has been dropping harder than it should. 

I was hoping TF4 could gross $300M - $310M, or at least $270M - $280M. China makes up for the loss.

Dawn's holds have been shit since second Sunday. Every day dropping close to 50% is terrible. Even Godzilla and TASM2 started to get some decent drops late in their runs. Dawn has dropped nearly 50% every day since then or above it. It's one of the only films that has never stabilized.

It held a really high theater count for a few weeks and lost 1/3 of its theaters this weekend and dropped sub 50%, it's fine. Burnt off a lot of demand first two weeks.

Someone should really talk Comicbookmovie users off the ledge. This has been an unexpected weekend for them. A lot of them still in denial that TMNT won the weekend easily.

Like who and where? Why don't you do it? LOL

I think the new overseas BO business is fascinating, and it's a big reason why I decided to start following box office trends. Hollywood marketing to China in particular, and the money reaped from it.I realize we have to take the "good" with the "Bay", so I'm not pressed that TF4 did gangbusters there. I'm still shocked that Captain America raked it in as much as it did. Incredible performers all around!

• Like 1

Can we get more input here since public opinion will decide this, have Dawn's holds been acceptable or underwhelming? John in his wisdom seems to think it has "fallen apart" but my argument is based in similar movies in its sub genre and good OW and 2nd weekend that it's holds are standard, the one this weekend was good.

Personally I think it should've had a better hold but that's because it's my favourite movie of the year and personally I think it deserves Maleficent kind of leg.

Had it been a movie I didn't give a damn about I'd have said it's hold had been decent.