CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

It's going to get past the Billion and a half mark.

But IMHO this film is not going to be remembered the way the first one is. it is simply not as good.

And for all the people here who claim the love the songs, none of the songs in F2 have caught on the same that the songs in F1 did.

Frozen is a classic;I don't think, for all it's box office success F2 is going to be loved the way Frozen is.

• Like 2

Since Frozen 2 is near the end of it's theatrical run, it's time for me to ride off into the sunset (or to Ahtohallan)...

b2e4a1f8d2d16dcb56adfa9a77eed01cd3aba7f8

But much like Michael Buble during the holidays each year, I will return from my long slumber when the yet to be announced Frozen 3 enters theaters sometime around Thanksgiving, 2025.

Edited by OffTheHizzle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/30/2020 at 7:35 AM, dudalb said:

It's going to get past the Billion and a half mark.

But IMHO this film is not going to be remembered the way the first one is. it is simply not as good.

And for all the people here who claim the love the songs, none of the songs in F2 have caught on the same that the songs in F1 did.

Frozen is a classic;I don't think, for all it's box office success F2 is going to be loved the way Frozen is.

Sorry but your argument for why 2 isn't going to be remembered as well as 1 is not very intelligent. 

I'm not going to take sides on which is better than the other because I'm a fan of the franchise as a whole, but just because the songs in the second film couldn't replicate the lightning-in-a-bottle phenomenon that was one song in the first film doesn't mean it's going to be remembered less. That would be like saying a jazz musician is worse than Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber or whatever pop singer because his latest album didn't top the music charts the way theirs did.

The characters in the second film have aged up with their audience. Robert and Kristen Andersen Lopez made the conscious decision to make the songs more complex and convey more emotion than their counterparts in the first film. The trade-off was that it became less catchy. The marketing also did not emphasize much of the soundtrack besides a single song. As a result it did not equate to chart-topping success.  That doesn't mean the audiences disliked it.

The songs in the first film are great for what they are and convey great messages, don't get me wrong, but a song like "The Next Right Thing" would never exist in the first film with that target audience in mind. Also surely if songs are the main factor behind the first film's success, shouldn't this one decrease in box office receipts because no song caught on the way one song did in the first film? It could very easily have gone the route of the latest Jumanji film, going from the astonishing $404 mil DOM of the prior film to struggling to breach even $300 mil. But it increased everywhere except Japan, a market which doesn't like sequels as much as original properties. That should convincingly disprove your point that this film isn't going to be remembered down the line. I'd even hazard a guess that Frozen II will age just as gracefully as it's predecessor (and much better on the animation and effects front) as the years go by. One day the kids who think they have outgrown it now will come back to it with older eyes and will discover more layers to it than they realised. That is why it, as with other Disney classics, will persist through generations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RthFall said:

Sorry but your argument for why 2 isn't going to be remembered as well as 1 is not very intelligent. 

I'm not going to take sides on which is better than the other because I'm a fan of the franchise as a whole, but just because the songs in the second film couldn't replicate the lightning-in-a-bottle phenomenon that was one song in the first film doesn't mean it's going to be remembered less. That would be like saying a jazz musician is worse than Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber or whatever pop singer because his latest album didn't top the music charts the way theirs did.

The characters in the second film have aged up with their audience. Robert and Kristen Andersen Lopez made the conscious decision to make the songs more complex and convey more emotion than their counterparts in the first film. The trade-off was that it became less catchy. The marketing also did not emphasize much of the soundtrack besides a single song. As a result it did not equate to chart-topping success.  That doesn't mean the audiences disliked it.

The songs in the first film are great for what they are and convey great messages, don't get me wrong, but a song like "The Next Right Thing" would never exist in the first film with that target audience in mind. Also surely if songs are the main factor behind the first film's success, shouldn't this one decrease in box office receipts because no song caught on the way one song did in the first film? It could very easily have gone the route of the latest Jumanji film, going from the astonishing $404 mil DOM of the prior film to struggling to breach even $300 mil. But it increased everywhere except Japan, a market which doesn't like sequels as much as original properties. That should convincingly disprove your point that this film isn't going to be remembered down the line. I'd even hazard a guess that Frozen II will age just as gracefully as it's predecessor (and much better on the animation and effects front) as the years go by. One day the kids who think they have outgrown it now will come back to it with older eyes and will discover more layers to it than they realised. That is why it, as with other Disney classics, will persist through generations.

I don't think there is that much difference between the tone of songs in F1&F2. F2 has a fair share of catchy songs (Some Things Never Change, Into The Unknown, Lost In The Woods) and F1 also wasn't afraid to put emotions in the center of its songs (Do You Want To Build A Snowman, For The First Time In Forever (Reprise)).

And there is Let It Go, which is special. It is a once in a generation type of song, probably the most influential movie song of the last 20 years. Replicating its success was impossible, I agree with that. It's like George Lucas trying to top the Vader reveal in ESB with another twist in ROTJ or James Cameron trying to invent an even more groundbreaking technology for Avatar 2.

Regarding the success of the movie at the box office, earlier predictions both in the original Frozen thread and this one were not that optimistic. Around the same or slight decrease DOM and small decrease OS (because of the Japan drop and ER) was the consensus. The predictions only started to increase after the huge DOM success of the Incredibles 2 and especially after Endgame and TLK. I say Disney can be very happy with how things turned out. It will keep the animated WW record for the foreseeable future. Now they can wait another 6 years to release the final chapter. At that point F1 will be 12 years old, F1-F3 time interval will be around the same as it was for Dory and I2. The power of nostalgia will push F3 over F2 if the movie is decent and Disney sells it as the epic ending of the trilogy.

• Like 4

So, TIL that this is not the highest grossing animated franchise ever....I was surprised until I learned it was Minions and that someone was probably counting Despicable Me 1,2,3, AND Minions.

6 hours ago, Thomas Beck said:

What are the odds for Disney making Frozen III?

If this is the sequel they make 'when they have a good story', I don't want to see a third. The shorts are cool (When they aren't shown in front of movies for 30 minutes).

19 hours ago, Thomas Beck said:

What are the odds for Disney making Frozen III?

100%

I'd be totally amazed if they didn't. In interviews it sounds like the entire creative team is already on board with the idea.

The only real question is when.

Edited by OffTheHizzle
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, OffTheHizzle said:

100%

I'd be totally amazed if they didn't. In interviews, in sounds like the entire creative team is already on board with the idea.

The only real question is when.

Up till now the next film was a question of when

I never thought it was a question of whether

:P

27 minutes ago, PKMLover said:

84776734_2561979503930980_91973264918834

Okay, this is kind of cool. I don't care about the Oscars at all, but I will definitely check this when it's uploaded to YouTube.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Edited by OffTheHizzle
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Morieris said:

So, TIL that this is not the highest grossing animated franchise ever....I was surprised until I learned it was Minions and that someone was probably counting Despicable Me 1,2,3, AND Minions.

Several franchises have grossed more WW, because they've all had more films. 

Despicable Me is on top (3.7b, 4 films), then Shrek (3.5b, 5 films). Then Ice Age (3.2b, 5 films), and I believe Toy Story (3b, 4 films). 

Frozen is the best on a per film basis, though. 2.7b in two films. 

If there was a third, it would probably be about at 4b in three films, though Minions 2 is going to push the DM franchise to 4.5b, probably. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 4:40 AM, PKMLover said:

Okay, now the Oscars campaign already ended. Disney can fuc***** upload Show Yourself, the song which all fans has requested so much, please.

And All Is Found too if it is possible...

Disney listened to your prayers! :ph34r:

Crap, this is not that song! :rofl:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1