A Marvel Fanboy

Wednesday 12/21/11 Numbers

What exactly did you expect Dragon Tattoo to open with? I think that's a fantastic start for it. If it opens to about 30 mill, it will cruise past 100 mill.

Well that is basically what I expected for it. I agree out of all the openers, Dragon Tattoo probably is doing the best as the rest are "underperforming" . So by default, yes it is a good start. It is the only movie I will probably see out of all of them as well.

How are those bad numbers for MI4 and Dragon Tattoo?I'm a little rusty on box office these days but they seem good for me, for a Wednesday, even if it is a holiday week. I know this time last year I was saying Dragon Tattoo could be a $150m+ grosser but if it hits even $100m DOM that will be great too.

I have a feeling Dragon's going to overtake Mission by the end of the Weekend. Yesterday a lot of people where seeing GWTDT more than they were seeing Mission Impossible.

I doubt it because Dragon should be the more frontloaded film (it is based on a book and has a hard R rating)

I have a feeling Dragon's going to overtake Mission by the end of the Weekend. Yesterday a lot of people where seeing GWTDT more than they were seeing Mission Impossible.

yeah. and MI4 has imax too. normally a fincher R rated movie shouldn't be competition for a mainstream action movie. as i said, DT is the success story of the holidays

SH2 is 13M behind Tron Legacy now.

Will be lucy to get 150M.

DT could match True Grit's total if legs are great.

TL is not a good film to compare to SH2, IMHO. I'm comparing it to King Kong, becvause of the 2005 release. The daily correlation is very important in Christmas. For example, Christmas weekend last year didn't have four days, as2005 had. Also, New Year's weekend was also a 3 day. This will help SH2. Look at King Kong pattern through Christmas. Following that, SH2 could very well reach around 160 /170m$. Or at least a 4xOW multiplier. With KK legs in fact it should reach Tron's DOM.

Who would have predicted a few weeks ago that Tom Cruise would own Christmas and the New Year at the box office?

Thetans, that's who.Also I can't see how being R is supposed to make Tattoo more frontloaded. I mean, so were last year's Black Swan and King's Speech.

• Founder / Operator

Not sure who said it would be front-loaded because of its rating, which I certainly wouldn't agree with. Its nature as an adaptation of a popular book from a somewhat popular director -- just days before Christmas, no less -- is what will make it more front-loaded than MI4, in my opinion.

yeah. and MI4 has imax too. normally a fincher R rated movie shouldn't be competition for a mainstream action movie. as i said, DT is the success story of the holidays

Stay calm. Let's see how frontloaded Dragon is.Alexander 4m OD on 24th Dec. Pretty good. Then it only went to do 34mAli 10m OD on dec 25th. DOM total: 57.5m

Stay calm. Let's see how frontloaded Dragon is.Alexander 4m OD on 24th Dec. Pretty good. Then it only went to do 34mAli 10m OD on dec 25th. DOM total: 57.5m

Alexander was on Thanksgiving time 24/11 not Christmas. Just saying.

Okay, MI4... 6m Wednesday (plus 2m late-Tuesday shows), 7m today, 9.8m Friday, 6m Saturday, 11m Sunday, 15m Monday. 26.8m 3-day, 41.8m 4-day, 56.8m for the 6.5-day frame. And then it does over 10m for each daily next week. That's more than fine. Tattoo... 1.6m late-Tuesday shows, 5.7m Wednesday, 5m today, 7m Friday, 4.3m Saturday, 7.2m Sunday, 8.3m Monday. 18.5m 3-day, 26.8m 4-day, 39.1m for the 6.5 day frame. That's fine. Tintin... 2.8m today, 4m Friday, 2.05m Saturday, 3.5m Sunday, 6.05m Monday. 9.55m 3-day (ugh), 15.6m 4-day, 20.9m for the 6-day frame. That's... a fine mess. It just better catch up next week. Sherlock... 4.75m today, 6.9m Friday, 4m Saturday, 7.6m Sunday, 9.6m Monday. 18.5m 3-day, 28.1m 4-day, 37.15m 6-day. That's okay, it'll be doing Tron Legacy's dailies next week. Alvin... 4.1m today, 5.65m Friday, 2.95m Saturday, 4.9m Sunday, 8.7m Monday. 13.5m 3-day, 22.2m 4-day, 29.8m 6-day. That's still underwhelming, but whatever.