Crusader

John Wick | Keanu Reeves | October 24, 2014 | Final Trailer on Page 3 | IMAX release announced

I can't recall. Was the first Taken tracking to open as well as it did? I seem to recall that film about a middle-aged one man army that was acquired by a studio and not produced, originally meant to go DTV.

Taken actually benefited from piracy.  A screener was leaked months before the release date and created crazy WOM.

John Wick is unfortunately the 5th or is it 6th 50+ yr old actor being badass and killing people action movie in the last 2 months and the marketing has done nothing to distinguish it from the pack.  Only Denzel's movie broke out; even Nessons struggled and then had poor legs because of the similar competition.

Edited by TalismanRing

Taken was release in Europe months before it was released in the US ... like at least 6 months before so that's where the WOM came

John Wick at this point should be content with anything over 15 mil and that's me being crazy optimistic

Taken was release in Europe months before it was released in the US ... like at least 6 months before so that's where the WOM came

John Wick at this point should be content with anything over 15 mil and that's me being crazy optimistic

It was released in late February in Europe. America received it 11 months after Europe.

The problem is that LGF didn't support the movie. The movie is hitting the theaters in October and the first trailer came online in September. This is just nuts. On the plus side, since they haven't spend a lot of money in advertising the movie the bar for movie to be a financial success is a lot lower than is usually the case for most wide releases.

I forgot Taken opened a year prior in Europe.

It's such a shame it's tracking to open poorly.

This clip is amazing.

http://www.craveonline.com/film/articles/777599-john-wick-exclusive-face-shooting-clip-interview

That's an awesome clip.  Really really excited for this film.

• Like 1

The problem is that LGF didn't support the movie. The movie is hitting the theaters in October and the first trailer came online in September. This is just nuts. On the plus side, since they haven't spend a lot of money in advertising the movie the bar for movie to be a financial success is a lot lower than is usually the case for most wide releases.

But I guess you didn't know Liongate acquired John Wick around August 11, 2014. The first poster was out on Sep. 10, 2014, the the first trailer was released on Sep. 12, 2014. I would not say they did a lousy job of promoting the movie.

No the problem is that Keanu has no demo anymore.

The matrix generation doesn t care about a simple minded revenge action flick.

And the younger generation doesn t know Keanu and are into superheroes and ya adaptations.

The Keanu argument makes sense, albeit regrettably so in this instance.

You might have some argue that the vengeance over a murdered dog is stupid to people, but then why would they show more interest in a schlocky ghost horror flick that's meant to be based on a board game?

No the problem is that Keanu has no demo anymore.

The matrix generation doesn t care about a simple minded revenge action flick.

And the younger generation doesn t know Keanu and are into superheroes and ya adaptations.

Nonsense. You really underestimated his fanbase. But in the end, let the box office number talk. If 47 Ronin could make a 9.9M opening, this one can make at least that much too. 

Cool, I didn't think this would make it to my local theater, but it is, so I can see it this weekend.  Just read Devin's review ... holy shit, was that gushing praise.  92% RT, sounds good.

Yeah, I'm thinking Keanu is back :)

Now make Bill & Ted 3 please. :)

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

I swear this is an incredible action movie.  This deserves to make so much more than it inevitably will.

I can't wait to see it again.

I said this in the review thread, but I'll repeat it here.  It's the best action movie of the year, even better than Raid 2.

Raid 2 was badass...I'm already amped enough to see this.  Probability is high that I love it and see it multiple times.  

BTW

60 reviews in 54 fresh/6 rotten

90% 

F yea keanu! Time to get this guy back into some big budget action.  Really hope it somehow catches on. Ill spread the word and do my part for sure. 

Edited by holcs
  • Like 2