Neo

Jason Bourne | 7.29.2016 | One week IMAX release on August 26 thanks to Ben Hur flopping

14 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

So we will have 3 back to back 50+ openers and one 150+ opener in August. Great stuff. 

Ghostbusters: $55 million

Star Trek Beyond: $60 million 

Jason Bourne: $75 million 

Suicide Squad: $130 million

I think Bourne 5 can go up from tracking. MI5 only tracked at $30-35 million OW and did $20-25 million more OW. Plus, Bourne 5 targets a similar older demo. 

It probably won't reach the Ultimatum numbers domestically but i think it will explode OS.

Each Damon/Bourne film increased and they weren't released after the overseas market expansion. I can see it doing 450-500m WW.

Marketing's been ramping up for this.  The ones with Tommy Lee Jones have been particularly good.

Think this has a chance to break out.  As I said over in the Tracking thread, it's been a long time for an "adult" blockbuster film that ISN'T animation/CBM/SF-F to hit the screens and the market might be starved for it.  The closest big film that isn't one of the three genres I mentioned is perhaps Tarzan (and even that has pulp roots), which might explain why it's doing so well.  Even the horror market is doing better than expected (in my mind at least).

If, IF, this film is well reviewed, I could see a nice leggy run.  Kinda like what propelled Batman Begins back in the day and the origianl Bourne film:  A well-made film that appeals to a market segment that has been woefuly underserved.

Of course it could also bomb due to it being too long for a sequel, so who knows. :P  But, dunno.  Got a gut felling about this one.  Be interesting to see if I'm right or not.

• Like 1

This won't bomb, but I do feel it could underperform.  And not for any reasons associated with its quality.  Prove me wrong box office, Id like this to 1) be awesome 2) do really well and 3) not do so well it impedes Star Trek Beyond from kicking butt that matters more to me.

• Like 6

This will outperform tracking... for whatever reason, the demos that films like Bourne/MI5/Tarzan, etc. target don't show up properly.  It's a Greengrass Bourne movie... it's going to be good and it should have legs.  My only real concern for it is Suicide Squad stealing its thunder with a massive OW but I fully expect this to be higher quality.

13 hours ago, kowhite said:

This won't bomb, but I do feel it could underperform.  And not for any reasons associated with its quality.  Prove me wrong box office, Id like this to 1) be awesome 2) do really well and 3) not do so well it impedes Star Trek Beyond from kicking butt that matters more to me.

Kind of agree with this. I just hope its as good as the others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Yes, that is Daisy Ridley. She also just won an Oscar too, didn't you know that?

She's also playing Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboot. :)

3 minutes ago, mrqe93 said:

If this movie doesn't end up in 200s DOM, what other movie has a chance? 

Suicide Squad is gonna do 200m and won't even break a sweat.    200m is about to be Will Smith's bitch, for the first time in many years.  

• Like 1