Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

20 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Hide contents

"kinda lightly" is right. And unless I missed something, there isn't anything that shows he grew out of that phase.

Hide contents

His ending

was a purist's dream come true, wasn't it? With an extra helping of white saviour coming to the rescue of all those unfortunate classic jazz black musicians who would probably be underemployed and underappreciated if it weren't for him giving them a magical new platform! :rolleyes:

Damn!! *vomit* 

This certainly explains why the industry itself, which we all know is unapologectically racist, is so in love with this film.

• Like 1

LOL I was really looking forward to the film but some of these plot elements are off putting. Damien Chazelle seems like the typical jazz fan though that completely whitewashes the genre. 

Still excited for this I guess. I love musicals. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

This was a great movie.  If you don't see it you will be missing something. That thought did kinda cross my mind about

Spoiler
  • white management and black Jazz musicians, but earlier on he is 'saved' by a black musician friend who brings Gosling on board with his band after Gosling hits financial bottom. there are tropes involved as well but it is still a great movie imho.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I take a lot of offense to this. C'mon.

Hmm.

Hollywood does not predominantly cater to white audiences, predominantly nurtures white actors to be stars, perdominantly writes stories about white people and greenlights films about white people?

Ok...I guess it's all in my head.

• Like 2

Just now, Cochofles said:

Hmm.

Hollywood does not predominantly cater to white audiences, predominantly nurtures white actors to be stars, perdominantly writes stories about white people and greenlights films about white people?

The industry has a lot of issues to deal with in terms of representation for POC and minorities. And this is a reflection of the low percentages of those people who've been given opportunities in key creative positions. There's no question about that. It doesn't matter that this happened more for buddy-buddy comfort reasons than outright racist/sexist reasons. It still happened, absolutely, and the industry needs to take this on.

However, by no means is Hollywood this giant, singular monolithic entity that thinks and breaths all the same, and in recent years there's been tremendous strides in the right direction. So making some blanket comment that the reason something happens in this movie is because its creators are racist, and the reason Hollywood people like it is because they're racist, is really offensive.

Can't you see this?

• Like 12

33 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Hmm.

I agree.  Plus, I think people need to be easier with using the term racist.

Otherwise, when an actual racist comes around (like Donald Trump), the word has lost its power.

There are discrimination problems in every industry that should be fixed.  But I wouldn't go as far as calling every industry having any sort of discrimination/representation problem actually racist or sexist.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, kowhite said:

So is this film as good as people say?  I'm not asking if it's racist, so get off that.

some people hate romance and some people hate musicals.  If you hate them, maybe this movie isn't for you.  If you even  like them, you'd be an idiot to miss it, imho.  It is absolutely charming, if you aren't 'too cool to fall for' charm.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

So, I've spoiled myself on City of Stars and now I'm listening to the song on loop.  It's simplistic, addicting, pleasing to the ear, and it's making me want to do a facebook cover video for it.

A Lovely Night has been playing in my head for about two full days now.

Edited by Jake Gittes

6 hours ago, Spaghetti said:

I bet The Futurist is secretly going to love this and is hyped out of his mind.

I don't know.

Doing retreads of french musicals  form the 60's doesn't strike  me as particularly  creative or original.

Those movies were charming, in the 60's.

Chazelle was clever enough to repackage this aesthetic for the masses that don't know what a Jacques Demy is, even the snobs from the 1%.

Good for him I guess.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1